The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:06:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage Field Day 2005 June 4 at W1UJR  (Read 4781 times)
W1UJR
« on: May 22, 2005, 09:41:02 AM »

Its almost here, wondering who is planning on operating Vintage Field Day this year?

This is a prime excuse to drag out your old, homebrew or buzzardly radios into the sunshine, yes sunshine, and make some contacts.

Operation at the QTH of W1UJR will commence at 11AM on Saturday and run until 5PM.
Using emergency power, we'll have at least two stations on-air with multiple ops:

- Old Buzzard Hartley TX and National FB-7XA RX
- New Buzzard DX-100 TX and National NC-109 RX
- Valiant TX and National HRO RX (possible)

We'll be operating at my new QTH in the beautiful midcoast area of Maine.
If you are an AM Miscreant in good standing, we invite to stop by to join in, just email me for directions and time.
Christine will have plenty of food and liquid refreshment standing by.

73 Bruce W1UJR

Eletric Radio Vintage Field Day Details follow:
Electric Radio Vintage Field Day, June 4th and 5th.
Starting at 11:00 Eastern, and ending Sunday at 3:00 PM Eastern. This is not a traditional Ham radio contest with points to score, but it is rather an opportunity to have fun experiencing Field Day as it was years ago.

The goal of Vintage Field Day is to work as many stations as possible and send your photos and stories into Electric Radio for use in a special photo section later this year.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 01:19:49 PM »

Nice run down. Sounds like you're going to have fun, Bruce. W1RC called yesterday inviting me to join him, Tron, and possibly UAG for the trip to Rochester, so I won't be around for VFD this year. Never made Rochester before despite many wishful attempts, and it finally looks like I will. Otherwise it would be an excellent excuse to drive to Maine to see the new place (and buzzardly gear).

If there's a station set up at the 'fester, maybe we can work you from there OM?

Enjoyed seeing you and Larry at Hosstraders and riding in the Falcon. The Elmac and Gonset really compliment it.

Good luck and enjoy!

~ Todd  'KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 08:29:36 AM »

Hi Todd,

Enjoy Rochester, and let me know how it was.
I used to attend every year when I lived in Buffalo, but right now the trip and time off is just a bit too much.
Hopefully you find a station to get on the air with for Vintage Field Day.

Nice to hook with you at Hosstraders, hope you found some goodies.
By the way, did you find the insulators you were looking for?
I was given a box of insulators, if you can send a digital photo will take a look in the box.

73 Bruce W1UJR
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 12:26:34 PM »

Bruce -

Can't recall which insulators you're referring to, unless it was that dinky little egg insulator from the box you were rummaging through. Only found one, its maybe the diameter of a nickel, inch or so long. Never saw one so tiny before. Maybe they were made for UHF wire arrays?  :lol:

Did manage to bring home from Hosstraders the same number of rigs as I took, albeit slightly less weight overall. So far managed to give the RBK-16 a wipe down and short testing, also rectified the knob and screw issues on the Clegg Interceptor B receiver with a brief power up. The RBK-15 from John and R-649 from Brown are still gracing the kitchen floor. They all need more work, of course.

I hate to admit it since I still don't have any wire up at home yet (I'm blaming the rain this time), but Larry's Falcon really got me into the 'old buzzard mobile' frame of mind. My dad has a nice old '50 Lincoln, I wonder if he'd let me stuff some Elmac gear into it?  Big spring loaded whip on the fender...  Smiley

~ Todd  'KAQ

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 12:52:40 PM »

... ya need the yellow CD hellmit also.... klc

What? Me worry?
W1UJR
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 06:43:08 PM »

Quote from: Todd, KA1KAQ
Bruce -

Can't recall which insulators you're referring to, unless it was that dinky little egg insulator from the box you were rummaging through. Only found one, its maybe the diameter of a nickel, inch or so long. Never saw one so tiny before. Maybe they were made for UHF wire arrays?  :lol:

~ Todd  'KAQ

Didn't you need some insulators for the rear of the 30K?
I have of them here, if you want to give me the size or digital image, I see if I can hunt one up.

73 Bruce
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 11:34:49 AM »

Oh, THOSE. I'd completely forgotten about those goofy beehive feedthrus with one of the Millen types on each end.  :oops:

They are a Millen 32103 set, if you look at ebay item #5763072408 (a completed auction) you can see what they look like. I need 6 sets of 2, or 12 of the ceramic pieces minimum. Of course, I can work with just the ceramic and make up the cork gaskets and hardware, but complete sets would be the best.

May have found a source of the National FB-7 type tuning knobs, but need to see a sample. They look pretty close.  I'll let you know what I discover.

W1UJR
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 10:32:56 PM »

Is that the voice of Vermont, or "Verminmount"?

Will take a look and see if any of mine match up.
I have lots more in storage in Buffalo.

The FB-7 knobs are tough because everyone changed them.
I did find a possible mate at Hosstraders in a old National vernioer kit.

Take a look at
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015