The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:21:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just when you thought you've seen everything:  (Read 9646 times)
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« on: May 15, 2005, 01:44:20 PM »

Hello All,
            Just when I thought I've seen everything related to "audiophoolism" and "audiophool" tricks, like oxygen free cable, dual gettered Telefunken 12AX7's produced between 8/1959 and 4/1960 for superior "tessitura", etc etc etc. This one has got to be the clincher.

Check this website out on "cyrogenically treated" tubes for superior performance: http://www.tubeworld.com/cryovalve.htm

Unbelievable stuff here mon! Maybe I'll "season" the pair of EL34's in my Apache for more seasoned audio! Ditto on my Heathkit Williamson W5M's. I wonder if triodes act differently than beam power tubes when "cyrogenically" treated?

Gotta love anal retentive audiophools and their never ending quest for audio perfection. The ultimate incurable romantics!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 01:56:02 PM »

"The "Q" of the (self) resonant (electro) mechanical systems responsible for the output of (self) microphonic spuriae is therby drastically reduced. By this important reduction, both the peak amplitude and the "ring down" time of these systems is reduced with the result that the "apparent gain" of the tube is increased - even in feedback controlled circuits - while the "dynamic noise floor" is lowered."

Isn't that perfectly clear?   :roll:
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 07:00:33 PM »

Relaxed Toobies...?...Hmmm I'm always catching mine Napping on Standby... Cheesy
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 07:19:48 PM »

But this has to take the cake:

JAN-CNU-5U4G=VT-244 National Union 1944-1945
(best sounding 5U4G you can buy, very clear and open, excellent extended top end)
(I have used this tube in my Emotive Audio Sira linestage along with a 274B WE)

1) $99 tiny glass flake inside bottom of tube, frozen for 36 hours (best sounding 5U4G in stock)

to see VT-244=JAN-CNU-5U4G National Union 1944-1945

I hope the 866A's and 872A's in my homebrew rig sound that good!

Wonder how much the solid state rectifier tube replacements I put in my Gates BC1T extend the top end?

If it works for audio, wonder if it would work for rf too?  Maybe I could make the BC1T work on 75 as well as 160 without changing anything except the power supply rectifiers!

What really pisses me off is that it has become almost impossible to find good tubes for our rigs because of these goddam fools.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 11:05:11 PM »

Great, now 5814A's for R-390A's will become scarce, or very expensive...

I always thought that cold temps were responsible for breaking tube pin seals...  Sad  Hopefully these guys aren't really freezing tubes!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 08:36:31 AM »

Quote from: k4kyv
What really pisses me off is that it has become almost impossible to find good tubes for our rigs because of these goddam fools.

Don - Amen!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 05:10:24 PM »

I'll never forget the argument I got into with an audiophool/snakeoil salesman a number of years ago regarding the green paint these nuts would put on inner and outer edges their CD's.  Their claim was that it improved the sound by removing the harshness of digital audio by reducing distortion from the data read off the CD.  

The theory behind the green paint was that it reduced reflections within the polycarbonate substrate of the CD and that the laser pickup would pick up these reflections and the audio processing circuits would translate these reflections into some form of distorted audio.

I bet the guy a $100 he was full of it by demonstrating with an alignment CD  and distortion analyzer.  The CD had a series of tones on it.  I ran the CD on a high end CD player and took several distortion measurements without the green paint to get a baseline distortion measurement for a few frequencies.  Then ran the same test with the green paint using the same frequencies.  Guess what. No change.  Gee I wonder why? Could it be that the refractive index of the substrate prevents these so called reflections?

Mathematics, numbers and physics do not apply to these people. I guess that's why I never got my $100.00.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
wavebourn
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 11:17:51 PM »

Using green paints and freezing they just adjust perception filters. Also, they use such term as "Break In", it means human perception filters don't change at once, we need some time to change our perception.
Ordinary hypnosis, nothing special.
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 07:58:27 AM »

Quote from: W1RKW

I bet the guy a $100 he was full of it by demonstrating with an alignment CD  and distortion analyzer.  The CD had a series of tones on it.  I ran the CD on a high end CD player and took several distortion measurements without the green paint to get a baseline distortion measurement for a few frequencies.  Then ran the same test with the green paint using the same frequencies.  Guess what. No change.  Gee I wonder why? Could it be that the refractive index of the substrate prevents these so called reflections?

But of COURSE you won't be able to measure this subltle distortion with test equipment. Only an audiophools trained ears can pick up subtle variations . Of course spending $99 dollars on a rectifier sort of encourages you to think you hear a difference. - Otherwise you'd look like a right idiot!

Ian VK3KRI
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 03:40:13 AM »

All of the razors we sell are Cryogenically Tempered (frozen) down to -300 F to improve the strength & durability of the blade.

http://www.greatrazors.com/

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 07:53:39 AM »

down to -300 F to improve the strength & durability of the blade.

That's cold !!

I wish I could find the ad where someone claimed they could "restore" the sound of your old Beatle Albums using temps "near 100 degrees below Kelvin".

Only $199.95/album.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 11:31:07 AM »

Quote from: WD8BIL

I wish I could find the ad where someone claimed they could "restore" the sound of your old Beatle Albums using temps "near 100 degrees below Kelvin".

Wow!  They have figured out a way to lower temperature below absolute zero!

This could be a breakthrough to the practical development of cold fusion. Maybe they could build a perpetual motion machine too.

Why are they wasting this historic discovery on audiophools and old vinyl discs?

- - -
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 12:15:39 PM »

Quote from: k4kyv

Why are they wasting this historic discovery on audiophools

Because they're the only ones who'll believe it?

Go Duke![/b]
wavebourn
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 01:51:07 PM »

Check this out, you'll like it...

http://dvdrewinder.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 03:15:04 PM »

Quote from: wavebourn

Tolly,
       That was terrific! Now I think I have seen everything. I wonder if the thing will rewind 45RPM records as well?

Joe Cro N3IBX

wavebourn
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 06:09:59 PM »

Quote from: Vortex Joe - N3IBX
Quote from: wavebourn

Tolly,
       That was terrific! Now I think I have seen everything. I wonder if the thing will rewind 45RPM records as well?

For 45RPM records it needs to be made of a red wood. Wink
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 03:47:49 PM »

[quote="k4kyvThis could be a breakthrough to the practical development of cold fusion. Maybe they could build a perpetual motion machine too.

[/quote]

Perhaps a "difference" engine would fill the bill! I've always been fascinated by them.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015