The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:07:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody know how this modulation transformer scheme works?  (Read 2137 times)
K8DI
Contributing

« on: February 18, 2021, 10:29:47 AM »

So I occasionally type things like "modulation" into the eBay search box to see what comes up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modulation-transformer-Chicago-transformer-vintage-ham-25-watts-military/124546101720?hash=item1cff86b1d8:g:dtQAAOSwL7xgEJVJ&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

This is described as a military aviation transmitter modulation transformer. But it isn't...in the conventional primary/secondary sense.  It is shown with a single winding, having B+ to the center tap, a pair of P/P audio plates (829B tube, a dual section tube designed for P/P operation) on the ends, and a tap off the top plate to go to the RF class C section.  How did this work? Anybody got a schematic?

Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 10:39:48 AM »

Timtron described this in some transmitter mods awhile back .... no transformer but an autotransformer .... not sure if this can make 100% positive swing

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
k7pp

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 09:05:11 PM »

Looks like a PP arrangement made for a Heising application.  Not able to obtain 100 percent as indicated by previous poster.   IMHO.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 03:13:41 PM »

The way to obtain 100 with that transformer would be to put a dropping resistor in series with the plate of the final tube. It has been done many times and it should be on line somewhere. I don't know if you can get over 100 percent but someone on here knows the dope! That transformer had a lot of other uses, Too bad there wasn't two of them, I would have snatched them and put them into my new project chest.  It could have also been used in a circuit where you would have a higher voltage on the modulator tubes with that transformer capacity coupled to a heising choke with a lower voltage feeding the plate final of the circuit. It probably would have been great for low distortion while maintaining excellent highs and lows. 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 08:55:41 PM »

"Turbo connected" modulation transformer.  Works great except limited matching capabilities.  Yes, needs a dropping resistor going to the class C stage along with an appropriate cap across the dropping resistor to achieve 100 + positive peaks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015