The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 02:58:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Single Ended Audio Output Transformer  (Read 1939 times)
Tim WA1HnyLR

« on: February 02, 2021, 04:27:02 PM »

One must be a good catcher as a good pitcher.In other words fix your receivers audio. De-hnyellaphying receiver audio is much easier than fixing up a vintage AM transmitter. BUT the one limiting factor is the audio output transformer. Most of the vintage receivers have single ended output stages .6AQ5 ,6V6, 6K6 etc. Gone are the days of finding some junk  vacuuuum toob color TV set that could yield a good audio output transformer. The limiting factor is the inductance value of the primary as well as the amount of core material there is as well as the maximum DC current rating of the transformer. It seems as though the only commonly available transformer manufacturer is Hammond. The offer a high end line of audiophool grade single ended transformers that would work extremely well if you could fit it on to the chassis of your receiver. They are very pricey as well.But very good. At the other end of the spectrum are the replacement grade single ended transformers. There are some fairly substantial pieces as well. They are very good as well, but lack inductance.Hammond used to spec the inductance values in their older literature. They don't now. They just post a frequency response spec. This is very dependent on may factors. One thought was to buy one of their larger replacement transformers ,the125 ESE This is rated for 80 MA dc in the primary but only an inductance of about 5Hy. You could open up the transformer and separate the E and I lamination blocks and greatly pare down the thickness of the core gap spacer. It would be a lot of work to get it right. I dug deeper and found that Hammond has a whole line of guitar amplifier replacement transformers. There were very few single ended transformers available. BUT I found one that might work very well. This is the 1760-C. It is rated at 5 watts. It is definitely larger than a replacement single ended transformer . The transformer is 8K primary with a tap at 5K . One could easily connect the 8 k lead to the B+ .the 5K lead to the screen . I believe it would work well as a single ended ultra linear stage. The total primary inductance is 23Hy. This is decent. The maximum DC current was not specified. I did email Hammond and got a prompt response. It is 40 Ma. I see this is a perfect replacement for many receivers. I will have to buy one and try it out. If the audio section of the receiver is reworked with the appropriate component values with negative feedback,your receivers audio would be hard to beat.
Tim WA1HnyLR
W2JBL

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 08:12:43 PM »

I used a Classic Tone 40-18031 when I modded my Imperial R-390A for camp. Just measured one and the primary inductance was only 6 HY? 5K or 7K to 4/8/16 Ohms. I don't trust my Chinese LCR meter. Used the same transmformer in a hombrew single ended 6L6 guitar amp and it's excellent. Note that my amps are full on HI-FI not the distorted trash you get from Fender etc. Also used one in my de-yellified TMC GPR-90 with excellent results. Stuck a 5881 in place of the 6V6 and got really good audio. Another very goodone (much bigger near the size of a Ranger mmod xfrmr) is the OT10SE. Good for 60 MA same impedences as the one above .

If you do a search for "Fender Champ output transformer" you wil find tons of them out there. Very popular single ended 6L6 amp. It's a common place for home brew amp builders to start. 
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 08:38:53 PM »

I've bought several of these for various repairs, well worth the $ and nicely done:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OT10SE-VC87-Single-Ended-Output-Transformer-12VA-5K-7Kohm-4-8-16-60mA/164663961506?hash=item2656bca7a2:g:LQIAAOSwMXxfjmJ9

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W2JBL

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »

I have used the OT-10 in a few receivers and it's a really good hunk of iron, if you have room for it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015