The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:27:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Interesting Pile Of Gear  (Read 13611 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: January 03, 2021, 01:37:44 PM »

An Interesting Pile Of Gear...

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 02:52:26 PM »

I gots dibs on the barnacle red Valiant!

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KD1SH

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 06:06:26 PM »

Can't help but wonder how much of this goody pile was part of Hal's personal hoard, and how much belonged to customers who sent it to Hal for repair, before he lost his business. I doubt the auction house would go out of their way to find out.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
由obin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 06:58:03 PM »

It's easy to link to pictures with no descriptive words

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Detroit47

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 07:07:31 PM »

Where was this guy at? I don't know what to the initials stand for. I parted out a Valiant with a case that color and sold it at Dayton. Had to be 10 years ago. I would like to add that I was not responsible for the paint job.

N8QPC
WBear2GCR

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 07:57:27 PM »

<snip>

As my mother used to often say "patience is a virtue".

_-_-bear

PS. It's difficult see the purpose of showing a random stack of CB radios.

WBear2GCR

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 08:01:30 PM »

Film @11, as they say...

WBear2GCR

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 08:03:35 PM »

Ok, no more tonight...

KD1SH

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 08:19:53 PM »

As someone who also collects some of the classic 11 meter rigs of the 70's and early 80's - Good God! There's stuff to die for in that pile!

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 09:49:35 PM »

All a bit too new for me... Wink

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 07:02:06 AM »

Where was this guy at?
The stuff is reportedly from the accumulation of Hal, K6DPZ (SK) who lived in Queens. He provided local color to the NY Metro area. He was quite (in)famous in these parts.

Just wanting to answer your question and not derail this thread, although I don't know where the rail was leading to in the first place.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
WBear2GCR

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 07:41:32 AM »

Thanks Jim... sheesh.

WBear2GCR

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 07:43:07 AM »

Roll Eyes

KD1SH

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 08:16:11 AM »

Top shelf, 2nd from the right: my old shortwave receiver! Thanks, Bear - in this hamfest dry spell, it's fun to imagine you're there, smelling the old rigs; twiddling the knobs.

Roll Eyes

WBear2GCR

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 12:34:26 PM »

"...you keep me hangin' on..." - Vanilla Fudge

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 01:29:38 PM »

Good Lawrd some of those radios are worth money today!

Just saw a TRS Challenger go for 600 bucks!

--Shane
KD6VXI
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 01:32:45 PM »

As someone who also collects some of the classic 11 meter rigs of the 70's and early 80's - Good God! There's stuff to die for in that pile!

I just bought a lot of radios from a guy who was licensed in the late 50s.  He never threw a radio away.

Got a NIB Motorola SSB base, General Radiotelephone rig, couple Johnson rigs...  I mean, there was probably 40 radios in this bunch of stuff.

Interestingly, he only had one small solid state 100 watt PEP amp!  Usually these are the guys that have almost as many radios as amplifiers.  But not him.

Also got all his roll call books, club members, etc.  Most of it won't be worth it to anyone as his kids told me he was the last one...  Every one of his friends had passed before him, but it's cool to look at some of that old stuff.

--Shane
KD6VXI
KD1SH

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 02:15:04 PM »

That Motorola SSB base - NIB no less! - would have fetched some coin on eBay a while back, but I think the CB collector market has faded. Those are rare, at least here on the East Coast. Take a look at the schematic - in AM it's a series-mod CB! To meet FCC specs they stifled the audio response.
The thing that makes collecting those rigs enjoyable, and challenging, is that geography played a part in the distribution - some rigs were prevalent in certain parts of the country and almost unheard of in others. Back in those days, before the internet, most of those rigs were purchased from a local shop in the buyer's locale, so the distribution of certain brands and models was pretty regional.
It's the mystery - finding stuff you've never seen. In the big picture - 3rd stack from the right, 6th down from the top - what is that white base unit? Never seen one like it. Man, I would have loved to paw through that stuff!

I just bought a lot of radios from a guy who was licensed in the late 50s.  He never threw a radio away.

Got a NIB Motorola SSB base, General Radiotelephone rig, couple Johnson rigs...  I mean, there was probably 40 radios in this bunch of stuff.

Interestingly, he only had one small solid state 100 watt PEP amp!  Usually these are the guys that have almost as many radios as amplifiers.  But not him.

Also got all his roll call books, club members, etc.  Most of it won't be worth it to anyone as his kids told me he was the last one...  Every one of his friends had passed before him, but it's cool to look at some of that old stuff.

--Shane
KD6VXI

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 03:38:39 PM »

CB radio collecting is alive and well

And the infamous "Hal - LandAir Communications" collection of stuff:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140206175341/http://www.landaircom.com/showroom.html

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 03:51:24 PM »

Pete, is this your personal collection?

And thank you.  I'm going to show those pictures to my wife.  She has NO reason to say a word to me about my collecting now.  Shoot, I only have a C Train a quarter full of radio stuff.

And yeah, it is alive and well.  Sonar, Browning and Tram / Diamond stuff is all in the rage now....  Well, maybe for the last 30 years, but it's pretty in demand currently.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 03:56:58 PM »

That Motorola SSB base - NIB no less! - would have fetched some coin on eBay a while back, but I think the CB collector market has faded. Those are rare, at least here on the East Coast. Take a look at the schematic - in AM it's a series-mod CB! To meet FCC specs they stifled the audio response.
The thing that makes collecting those rigs enjoyable, and challenging, is that geography played a part in the distribution - some rigs were prevalent in certain parts of the country and almost unheard of in others. Back in those days, before the internet, most of those rigs were purchased from a local shop in the buyer's locale, so the distribution of certain brands and models was pretty regional.
It's the mystery - finding stuff you've never seen. In the big picture - 3rd stack from the right, 6th down from the top - what is that white base unit? Never seen one like it. Man, I would have loved to paw through that stuff!

--Shane
KD6VXI

Not sure how to get rid of all the embedded quotes.  My mind went to mush while trying to figure out what quote went were....

Yeah, I was pretty stoked about the Motorola.  In the pictures I saw a CPI frequency counter.  Was REALLY hoping he had the entire CPI station, but no luck.  In 35 years of radio I've only seen it in pics.

Had an ARF2001 for awhile, until some douchebag decided he deserved it more than me.  That was really a beautiful radio.  Answered an ad on Craigslist for a Cobra 29LTD.  Non classic.  Kid comes out to meet me with a new in box radio from the early 80s!  Opened one side, still had the wrap on the accessories!  This radio seriously had never been out of the box, still has the FCC application in it.  Sure it needs new caps by now, though.

Geography played a big part, you're right.  Also in amplifiers.  I travelled for a few years with my grandparents right out of high school and it amazed me how on the east coast nobody knew what messenger (the amps) where, but everyone had a black cat???  What the heck was a black cat?  By the time I got into radio on my own it was all Uniden, Cobra and used stuff.  President I could find in catalogs from a few years back, or it was the Uniden badged equipment new.

The glory days.  Watching gramps put a radio shack SSB 23 channel unit in his El Camino is what got me into radio.  I think he spent 300 or 350 dollars back in the mid 70s for that darn thing!

--Shane
KD6VXI
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 05:00:51 PM »

Pete, is this your personal collection?

And thank you.  I'm going to show those pictures to my wife.  She has NO reason to say a word to me about my collecting now.  Shoot, I only have a C Train a quarter full of radio stuff.

And yeah, it is alive and well.  Sonar, Browning and Tram / Diamond stuff is all in the rage now....  Well, maybe for the last 30 years, but it's pretty in demand currently.

--Shane

Oh! Gosh NO! No CB collection.
The only CB's I ever had here for the most part were Lafayette's, several Unimetrics, and Publicom all of which were sold by Lafayette. When I was doing service for Lafayette, I had a lot of Lafayette CB's and audio stuff pass over my basement service workbench.  Although, if I saw for cheap a CB at a hamfest, sometimes I would pick it up, clean and fix it up if needed, and flip it at a future hamfest. I think the only two CB's I still have here are a Lafayette SSB-100 base and a LM-300 mobile.

Radio collecting days are over; spent the last 10 years or more thinning the herd.

KD1SH

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2021, 05:41:08 PM »

Glory days for sure. For many, the CB thing was just about talking the cornball lingo and "shooting skip" and all that, but for some of us a true and lasting love of radio took hold. I don't remember ever calling someone a "good buddy" -  our group talked pretty much exactly like you'd hear on 3885 today. Some of my best radio memories are of staying up late on those nights when the band would take on an almost magical silence; I'd put on headphones and listen for those faint distant QSO's - sort of like working VHF/UHF weak-signal today - and every contact I made out to 50, 75, or 100 miles was carefully logged and treasured. I've still got that log today.
   And today those old rigs still hold a special place on my shelves. The characteristic "pop" in the speaker when you turned the rig on; the feel of the channel knob in your fingers; the smell of the warm Japanese circuitry; the gleaming chrome plated plastic and fake wood-grain 70's styling - I can honestly say that I very likely wouldn't be here today if I hadn't fallen in love with radio with those old rigs.

The glory days.  Watching gramps put a radio shack SSB 23 channel unit in his El Camino is what got me into radio.  I think he spent 300 or 350 dollars back in the mid 70s for that darn thing!

--Shane
KD6VXI

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2021, 11:31:04 PM »

Spotted the Realistic Navajo CB. That is a good set especially on sideband which in those CB days was not the best in all CBs. I think it's a Uniden inside.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 12:08:14 AM »

Restored my HB-444/25A, now I知 working on a Courier Royals, the radio I always wanted but couldn稚 afford! Found it in a local shop for $75 with an early 60痴 D104. The crystal,element was almost worth the price!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone ゥ 2001-2015