The AM Forum
March 18, 2024, 11:37:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An inexpensive HB mosfet linear please?  (Read 15481 times)
W2BX

« on: May 23, 2020, 10:40:05 AM »

Has anyone had any success building a reliable, inexpensive homebrew mosfet linear amp?

I see there are Ldmos kits and assemblies available from various sources, not really inexpensive.. What about the mosfets you folks are using on class E transmitters?

Any comments, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. Just starting to research this. 

Thanks

Glenn W2BX

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »

I built a Class E 500 Watt pep amp with the arf448.

I'm buying stuff to build a MRF300 based pair.  They have siamese parts for push pull and make 600 watts easy.

The dollars are spent in the output filtering as much as the amp. 

--Shane
KD6VXI
W2BX

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 11:08:26 AM »

This looks very interesting...

https://qrpblog.com/product/a600-hf-vhf-600w-linear-amplifier-kit-v2-1/

I wonder how difficult it would be to combine two of these for 1200 watts?
(to provide enough headroom to be used as a 300w carrier AM linear)
I'm sure there are simple to build combiners around.
You would need 40 amps at 44 volts... not a problem.

Have no idea regarding IMD performance on these..  Roll Eyes

M0VRF

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 11:34:47 AM »

MOSFETs used in class "Generators" are switching and NOT in Linear service. Completely different animals!

Linear wise look no further than the BLF188XR.

JB.
W2BX

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 10:00:44 AM »

Sorry for the delayed reply....

Here's a circuit that uses a switching mosfet in a class A amplifier.

MOSFETs used in class "Generators" are switching and NOT in Linear service. Completely different animals!

JB.

* RFDRIVE.pdf (42.6 KB - downloaded 472 times.)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 12:02:14 PM »

This looks very interesting...

https://qrpblog.com/product/a600-hf-vhf-600w-linear-amplifier-kit-v2-1/

I wonder how difficult it would be to combine two of these for 1200 watts?
(to provide enough headroom to be used as a 300w carrier AM linear)
I'm sure there are simple to build combiners around.
You would need 40 amps at 44 volts... not a problem.

Have no idea regarding IMD performance on these..  Roll Eyes

That is sold as a kit on eBay.

Needs output filtering, as the kit doesn't have it.

Also available off eBay.

--Shane
KD6VXI
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 10:30:42 PM »

At one point in the past, I built a 1500 watt + (PEP) linear amplifier using 6 FQA11N90 devices.  It worked VERY well.

This is a standard class B design with an output network - much like you would find in a tube linear amplifier.  Dirt simple design and worked quite well.  I did not measure the IMD or anything like that, nor did I ever receive any complaints.

May build another one some day.  The reason for the construction was to amplify a DX-60 that I had modified for high fidelity audio.  The MOSFET linear brought the 6 watts that I got out of the DX-60 (leaving MUCH headroom) up to about 250 watts (carrier) output.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 11:26:33 PM »

Steve,

Have a schematic?

--Shane
KD6VXI
W2BX

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 06:35:31 AM »

At one point in the past, I built a 1500 watt + (PEP) linear amplifier using 6 FQA11N90 devices.  It worked VERY well.

This is a standard class B design with an output network - much like you would find in a tube linear amplifier.  Dirt simple design and worked quite well.  I did not measure the IMD or anything like that, nor did I ever receive any complaints.

May build another one some day.  The reason for the construction was to amplify a DX-60 that I had modified for high fidelity audio.  The MOSFET linear brought the 6 watts that I got out of the DX-60 (leaving MUCH headroom) up to about 250 watts (carrier) output.

Hi Steve and thanks very much for the reply.
I would very much like to have your schematic for that amp as that's exactly what I'm interested in building. I love dirt simple! Cool
ki4nr

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 08:00:44 AM »

That's just what I'm looking for too. I have rebuilt SB200 with fresh Cetron's for my SSB station and really don't want to use it on AM. I just need a simple amp using inexpensive Mosfet to give me 250 watts carrier and 1000 peak just for my FT-990 AM rig on 3.885.  That's the only place the amp with be used, well if it could be used on 40 meters that would be a plus.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 01:27:14 PM »

Another good application is as an IPA driver after a ricebox for a big AM plated modulated rig. IE, even if the 11N90s have IMD problems in linear service, when used as a carrier driver IMD problems will not show up.

Instead of abusing a ricebox for a dead carrier, the ricebox can put of a few watts and drive the 11N90 amp for 20-30 watts, or whatever.

I'd like to try one out too with a schematic. I have a (two device) 11N90 linear amp here but never measured it for IMD.  Even the expensive and popular MRF-150s are not all that clean. I tried the kit version and was disappointed. It's not easy to build a clean SS amp that is much better than -25 DB 3rd order without spending big bux on devices OR using pre-distortion technology..

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 09:18:28 PM »

Unfortunately, I never had a schematic of the liner.  I just built it out of my head.

However, I remember some of what I did.

Each MOSFET had a .5 ohm 5 watt (metal film) resistor from the source to ground.  This was to balance the gain of the MOSFETs (6 in parallel).  Also provides degenerative feedback, which linearizes the devices.

The gates and drains were in parallel.

Drive power to the gates was fed through an RF transformer made from a single FB-43-1020 ferrite bead.  The gates required forward bias to bring the MOSFETs into conduction (barely).

The input was more or less broadband.

The output had a resonant circuit for tuning and loading.  I don't remember the particulars - it was nothing special.

I do remember it didn't take too much to put thing thing together.

The drain voltage was around 70VDC.

If I remember more I'll post it here... or if I ever build another one.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W2BX

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 08:11:20 AM »

Unfortunately, I never had a schematic of the liner.  I just built it out of my head.

However, I remember some of what I did.

Each MOSFET had a .5 ohm 5 watt (metal film) resistor from the source to ground.  This was to balance the gain of the MOSFETs (6 in parallel).  Also provides degenerative feedback, which linearizes the devices.

The gates and drains were in parallel.

Drive power to the gates was fed through an RF transformer made from a single FB-43-1020 ferrite bead.  The gates required forward bias to bring the MOSFETs into conduction (barely).

The input was more or less broadband.

The output had a resonant circuit for tuning and loading.  I don't remember the particulars - it was nothing special.

I do remember it didn't take too much to put thing thing together.

The drain voltage was around 70VDC.

If I remember more I'll post it here... or if I ever build another one.

Thanks again Steve.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 02:43:38 PM »

Sounds like Steve is going to build something in the 300watt range.  Stay tuned.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 10:28:24 PM »

I found this link that is all about linear's for the above devise. Some are in English, those that are not can be translated.

https://pa0fri.home.xs4all.nl/Lineairs/BLF188%20HF%20amplifier/?C=S;O=D

I never built any of this stuff but it looks like everything that is needed to build is there?  

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KC2UDZ

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 09:44:27 AM »

Here is one that i had on the bench to experiment with the project was to come up with a cheap 12 volt mobile amp.  All the parts were stripped out of an old 10 meter mobile amp, combiners and input and output transformers.  The parts are readily available from many online sources or you can make your own. I built one and it does work but never finished with the design so if you decide to do it be prepared to tweak the design the devices are irfp260n mosfets.

Warning this amplifier will suck your alternator inside out if you turn the drive up so have fun like i did and make some smoke.  One pic of 8 fet mobile amp.

* mobile schematic.jpg (842.8 KB, 1617x1268 - viewed 772 times.)

* 4 fetter 003.jpg (59.39 KB, 640x480 - viewed 766 times.)

* 8 FET MOBILE AMP 005.jpg (60.34 KB, 640x480 - viewed 634 times.)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 06:45:35 PM »

I have an 8 mosfet amp.  It makes appx 600 watts out the antenna socket.  Needs 25 watts of drive.  It has 2 transistors as a driver and those hit 8 more.

Yes, it will tax the electric in most vehicles.  It mates up perfect with the HR2510 mobile and did quite well, catching a couple dxpeditions at the end of the last cycle.  I may pull it out and use it again since it seems the sun is waking up.

--Shane
KD6VXI
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 12:23:46 PM »

Ok, I built another inexpensive MOSFET linear amplifier.

This works very well on AM.

The current implementation uses 10 MOSFETs in single ended push pull.  I may change the design, but that's what is built and working at this time.

I will start another topic in the "Technical Forum", since this is not related in any way to class E.

The amplifier takes 5 watts (carrier) of drive to produce 200 watts of carrier output.  Allowing for headroom for 160% positive modulation, parameters are: 80V @ 7A, 200 watts carrier out. 160% positive peaks.  The input is currently broadband, and the output uses a tuned circuit.

See the thread in the "Technical Forum" for complete details.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015