The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:08:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40m military radio CW net?  (Read 4860 times)
wd8das

« on: May 07, 2020, 11:08:21 PM »

I was thinking today how I'd like to put some of my military gear on the air on CW.  I've worked normal contacts with those rigs a few times over the years but it struck me that it could be fun to have a mil-radio CW net.  

Back when I lived in Pennsylvania in the 1990s I occasionally checked into an 80m CW net for old military rigs and it was good fun. I checked the list of nets on the MMRCG Group.io webpage and I saw that the 80m net may still be in action on 3570 kHz Sunday evenings.

Due to forgetting different time zones I only caught the tail end of the OMRN CW net on 3570 kHz a few minutes ago - good signals.  I remembered the net control station and several check ins and signals were pretty good. I'm pretty sure I recognized some of the yoops and chirps as well.  I didn't have a military transmitter ready to go or I would have checked in.  

So 80m is covered for CW military operation in eastern North America...  Any interest in a 40m military equipment CW net?  

Steve WD8DAS
wd8das

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 09:58:08 PM »

Interest in a 40m CW net for military rigs seems to be nil, so I'll shelve the idea for now.

73  Steve WD8DAS

Tom W2ILA

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 08:48:58 PM »

Steve, Looking forward to hearing you on Sunday. Conditions were great last week.  I'm sure there is interest in trying to get CW going on 40m.  If we can avoid the digital QRM the coverage would be awesome. My Mackay 167BY should be OK on 40 but the last time I tried it the garage doors went crazy. Just the other day the Mackay 401A lifeboat radio called my name.  It has a TX crystal for 8364 with a tunable RX so dragging it down to 40m should be possible.
We'll have to try to pick a quiet freq and time. Hen cast the word out amongs the others who don't watch the web.
For sure as fall comes around we'll be all over this.
W6MQI

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 12:40:16 AM »

Interest in a 40m CW net for military rigs seems to be nil, so I'll shelve the idea for now.

73  Steve WD8DAS

Steve,
 I know this is an old post about military CW nets here on the left coast we started running a military CW net on 3985 either 1600hrs or 1700hrs local time the last Friday of each month. Each month each operator try's to use a different military radio to check in with. I've heard  ART-13, TCS, BC-610, T368, Wireless sets all types, GRC-9, SCR-288, SCR274N etc. Some of the stations have endless supplies of different type radios it been fun. Unfortunately because of the time of day it tends to be a local net out to about 300miles or so tops.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015