The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:45:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RF- RFI Any Issues w/ Kohler or Generac Autostart Gen.  (Read 1445 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: April 15, 2020, 12:42:39 PM »

Looking to add an autostart, whole-house Kholer or Generac Generator.
Anyone have one and if so any RF or RFI issues?
Thanks

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 03:18:26 PM »

I don't have a Generac autostart standby generator, but do have a beast of a Generac 17.5 kW "portable" gas engine ob site type generator about 12 years old, AFAIK is fundtionally equivalent to the Generac 15 kW standby generators that run on propane.  3600 RPM copper wound 240 V split phase 3 wire 60 amp output.  Never had any RFI issues from it.  Only power quality issue is our old  Frigidare PWM direct drive front loader washing machine would wash but not spin running off it.  It was one of the  first PWM direct drive washers and I suspect had  overly finicky  power quality protection circuitry.  Our new LG PWM direct drive top loader runs just fine on it and a smaller newer portable 7.5 KW DeWalt genny we now generally use during outages becasue it has much lower fuel consumption then the big Generac.

I would suspect that as long as you avoid the inverter type gennys like the Hondas, you wont have any  big RFI issues with a traditional copper wound AC alternator style machine.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015