The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:58:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lighting problem  (Read 4281 times)
KA3EKH

« on: April 08, 2020, 11:26:49 AM »

I had to change the power cord on a radio because the old one was dry rotted. Used nice new zip cord and plug but for some reason every time I plug it in the lights in the room go out? Anyone have any idea why?

* Plug.jpg (91.97 KB, 675x647 - viewed 392 times.)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 12:02:22 PM »

Its because the electrons are confused on which way to go.

KLC

What? Me worry?
KA3EKH

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 12:45:06 PM »

Been told that it’s because I used a right handed wrap and if I wrap it in the other direction it will work.

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 12:50:53 PM »

Why do you think they call it "twisted pair" anyway.

Well, it is still April.

I actually prefer those three-pin plugs that will not fit into any of those two-slot receptacles in this old house.

But I have a few of those classic two-pin Heathkit fused plugs which would help you keep the lights on.

By the way, I love that four-cylinder flathead Hercules.  My five KW mil gen has a clanky OHV two-cylinder engine, at 3600 RPM.  1800 rules!  I looked for one like yours on the bay, but just found lots of parts for carbs, magnetos, starters, etc, at very high prices.  Your complete unit must be worth a mint now!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 12:51:32 PM »

I was told by an electrician that twisted connections can't handle much juice.  

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 01:02:57 PM »

Looks like that wire came without enough white stuff. I'd take it back for a refund!
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 12:34:19 PM »

It looks like a pure case of HOMOTRONS, you know, alternative lifestyle electrons going around blowing one an others fuses...........

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 04:08:30 PM »

I was told by an electrician that twisted connections can't handle much juice.  

T

I would say that he'd had more juice than he could hold!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 10:10:22 AM »

Can’t imagine why you had a problem. That technique always worked great for me in a pinch when I would burn out a tip on my old dropped-off-the-bench-too-many-times-to-count Weller slobbering iron.  For the record, I always use a clockwise twist when joining wires, since that’s how wire nuts tighten...as they say in the Navy with respect to valve operations- righty tighty, lefty loosie! 

* 40EBDB34-47BE-4C6B-9D4A-BC350EB53218.jpeg (2610.2 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 276 times.)

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 10:45:03 AM »

Been told that it’s because I used a right handed wrap and if I wrap it in the other direction it will work.

That depends on which side of the equator your on.

--Shane
KD6VXI
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 12:23:25 PM »

Why is it that used Weller guns always have cracks and plastic case pieces missing at flea markets? Are they suicidal and just leap off the bench?   My other soldering stations never hit the floor.

But I've learned my lesson... when I  buy a new Weller gun, I immediately wrap electrical tape around it to hold it together for the inevidable plunges.  So there.

T

Some Wellers last a long time:

* Weller Old Buzzard.jpg (9.68 KB, 222x227 - viewed 226 times.)

* Weller Sniper Gun.jpg (32.43 KB, 450x359 - viewed 256 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 03:02:15 PM »

The new Weller’s, and I have one of them, appear to have cases
made of a much tougher plastic than the old ones.  Seems to be like what football helmets were made from when I was a kid, called Cycolac, maybe.  OTOH, they no longer have the threaded collar attachments for the tip, they just have junky tiny pot metal set screws that don’t appear to make very good contact with the tip metal, and easily have the hex head strip out with hardly any force.  I’m going to replace those set screws with stainless Phillips head machine screws, as I have always done for similar garbage stinger hex head set screws on Hamsticks.

On my first new school Weller gun, one of the screws had its thread gall in the barrel and then the head hex opening stripped out.  I pitched the damn thing against the floor in disgust.  At least the case didn’t break!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 05:30:53 PM »

Early on I used them building Heathkit stuff and many burns later to the job and me, they took the low road! I think I had every size except the very large ones used to build oil tankers?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015