The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:19:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hosstraders - Where for dinner?  (Read 5576 times)
W1UJR
« on: April 29, 2005, 07:32:36 AM »

I guess this will be my 6 or 7th Hosstraders, and I am looking forward to it.

No sleeping on the wet ground this, no sirah.

But I am also looking for a nice dinner suggestion, any English pub style resturants near by in Bow, Concord or such? Perhaps a good microbrewery?

Tnx,
Bruce

W1JS

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 03:25:51 PM »

In Concord you got your normal fare up by the shopping malls - like The Outback, UNO's, Olive Garden, etc.  For nicer fare, you got The Common Man  in Concord and another nice one is The Red Blazer.  For a real down to earth sport's bar, there is The Gaslighter on North Main St in Concord - they have one awesome Texas cheeseburger and the best draft around (just beer, though, not a full liquor license).  A little west of Hopkinton in downtown Henniker is Daniel's restaurant - more of a "pub" atmosphere.  I also understand there are a couple of nice places in Warner, just north on 103 from the fairgrounds.  No microbrewery nearby that I know of.  There are pretty good choices in Concord.  Some newer places that I just have not tried.  My wife and I have a tendency to stick to the "knowns"/ favorites.  And we also tend towards good breakfast places.

PS:  After I typed the above I thought of a great place in New London about 20-25 miles up the road apiece (Route 89).  It is definitely "pubby".  Peter Christian's Tavern.  Good variety of draft brewskies and a full bar.  Great food.

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 01:39:13 PM »

You just haven't lived until you've slept on the ground under someone's vehicle at Hosstraders. Still have oil spots on one of my jackets.

Coupla beers...erm...years back Tim, Chuck, PJP Joe, myself and someone whose identity escapes me went to a little place right down the road towards Concahd and had lunch w/beer after the fest ended. Wish I could remember the name of the place, food wasn't too bad. All I remember is that we went out the south gate, drove east, and hit a crossroad somewhere.

Another consideration (although a bit of a drive) is the Brewpub in Portsmouth. Mr. Nord can shed some light on this place.

I'll be there by mid-afternoon, Bruce. One stop in West Leb. to drop off a receiver for shipping. Was I supposed to bring anything for you (or anyone else)? Pieces/parts, tubes, whatever? I started a list and promptly lost it.

~ Todd

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 02:23:36 PM »

Quote from: Todd, KA1KAQ
I'll be there by mid-afternoon, Bruce. One stop in West Leb. to drop off a receiver for shipping. Was I supposed to bring anything for you (or anyone else)? Pieces/parts, tubes, whatever? I started a list and promptly lost it.

~ Todd

Hi Todd,
Look for NE1S and I wandering around, will prob base in the Swine Barn area.

Planning on a nice pub style dinner in Concord with you.

Nothing for me thanks, think I am am all set in my Vintage arena now.

Just made arrangments to pick up W2UJR's SK 160 meter transmitter in August.

W1JS

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 04:53:36 PM »

Coupla beers...erm...years back Tim, Chuck, PJP Joe, myself and someone whose identity escapes me went to a little place right down the road towards Concahd and had lunch w/beer after the fest ended. Wish I could remember the name of the place, food wasn't too bad. All I remember is that we went out the south gate, drove east, and hit a crossroad somewhere.

The lost identity might of been me.  We had a pleasant time after Hosstraders.  That place is the Fireside Tavern and it is on Rte 103 in Hopkinton.  But there is really nicer fare in Concord, just another 10 minutes or less up the road.  

The WX is looking pretty darn good for the fest.  

CU all there.

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 02:47:03 PM »

The lost identity might of been me. We had a pleasant time after Hosstraders. That place is the Fireside Tavern and it is on Rte 103 in Hopkinton. But there is really nicer fare in Concord, just another 10 minutes or less up the road.

I almost asked that! I figured it was someone nearby, think it was you who suggested or led the way. There was a place down in Manchester called the Back Room or something like that, really good food but dark inside. I get nervous when I can't see what I'm eating. :shock: My sis and her family live in Concord, but the only place I recall trying was some pizza place that might be gone now. Wasn't your average pizza shop, this place was nice and had about seventy-eleven types of pizza. I'm game for Concord, good company and good food work for me.

Bruce, that rig looks like one I have out in my garage. you need to come over sometime and check out the buzzard gear, maybe get some of it on the air. Three old rigs from Bill, W1PEG (sk) fmr Raytheon engineer and one old rig from an old Naval Commander whose call escapes me. The guy who bought his stuff was going to trash it!!

I'm about an hour west of Hopkinton just off 89 @ exit 4.

See you all tomorrow -

~ Todd

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 03:39:27 PM »

Bruce,

Congrats on acquiring the 2UJR 160M rig.  That's great.  I'd like to hear all about the details of your acquiring it, who's in charge out there in Alden, what's left, etc.  Maybe you'd better send me a private answer.  If you're coming up in August, I sure hope we can get together at the Old Red Mill or some such for a brew or two.  (Maybe also an HT-18)  :lol:

See ya'

K2 Cheesy

P.S. Have you got a tape of Dick for your AMer presentation?

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 03:43:34 PM »

Bruce,

That last remark in parenthesis was to refer to an HT-18, not an HT1 Cool

HJU

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
W1JS

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 12:46:47 PM »

down in Manchester called the Back Room

The Puritan Back Room, good food and excellent chicken fingers.

Wasn't your average pizza shop, this place was nice and had about seventy-eleven types of pizza.

Foodee's - still there, corner of South Main and Pleasant Streets - right downtown.

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015