The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:03:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carrier & One Sideband  (Read 3317 times)
ki4nr

« on: January 09, 2020, 04:21:01 AM »

Hi

I have a Yaesu FT1000MP, this radio has the most modifiable service menu ever made. My question ...  is there any advantage to running AM with one sideband ?? I can configure the menu in the AM mode to strip off whatever sideband I want.  I know the transmitter frequency response with be twice as wide using the 6 khz AM filter basically about 50hz to 6khz by shifting the IF ( Carrier Point ) over to the filters edge. So if I run it with carrier plus lower sideband what can I expect ?? Will there be an advantage in more power output both in the radio and linear ??

Any downside to doing this ??
KK4RF

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 07:47:14 AM »

Interesting question. My old Drake TR-3 transceiver can be used on AM and it puts out a SSB signal along with the carrier. My old Swan 500 and Swan SW-240 does this also. I guess it would not be real HI-FI type audio, but people can hear it OK on the receiving end.  73s,  Marty, KK4RF
KQ6F

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 10:56:44 AM »

The downside to carrier & one sideband is distortion when demodulated with a diode-type detector which is common in older receivers.  However, a synchronous-type detector cleans everything up.  See pix below.

* LSB only - SAM.jpg (256.77 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 295 times.)

* with LSB only.jpg (252.03 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 237 times.)
W4EWH

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 01:15:45 PM »

The downside to carrier & one sideband is distortion when demodulated with a diode-type detector which is common in older receivers.  However, a synchronous-type detector cleans everything up.  See pix below.

Here's a chance for me to learn something new. I'm surprised to see those scope shots: IIRC, the Collins KWS-1 uses carrier with one sideband for AM, and given that company's reputation for higher-than-usual audio quality, I'm curious what percentage of THD the diode detector introduces, and if the 75A-4 receiver uses a diode detector for AM.

Thanks!

Bill, W4EWH

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
n4joy

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 02:26:07 PM »

My National NCX-3 runs SSB carrier inserted and I use it on AM.  I receive good audio reports and some AMers are surprised when I tell them I am running pretend AM. 

Chris, N4JOY 
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 07:23:37 AM »

I receive good audio reports and some AMers are surprised when I tell them I am running pretend AM. 
That's why you should try to get an audio report before you tell the other guy what you're running. Had similar experiences with my KWS-1 and TR-7 transmitters.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 11:35:42 AM »

Yes distortion is increased somewhat in a conventional detector with SSB AM full carrier, but all of the information is there.

The broadcasters toyed with reduced carrier SSB (about 6db down carrier level) and the use of Synchronous detectors as a way to reduce bandwidth and increase the dismal efficiency of AM at least up to around 60% instead of the theoretical 33% on conventional AM.

SSB (H3E , R3E) signals can be demodulated with a product or synchronous detector. SSB H3E (-6 dB) allows for envelope detection. The audio quality is poor however.

https://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-r/opb/rep/R-REP-BS.1059-1-1990-PDF-E.pdf

These are the good old days of AM
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 08:01:38 PM »

Hi

I have a Yaesu FT1000MP, this radio has the most modifiable service menu ever made. My question ...  is there any advantage to running AM with one sideband ?? I can configure the menu in the AM mode to strip off whatever sideband I want.  I know the transmitter frequency response with be twice as wide using the 6 khz AM filter basically about 50hz to 6khz by shifting the IF ( Carrier Point ) over to the filters edge. So if I run it with carrier plus lower sideband what can I expect ?? Will there be an advantage in more power output both in the radio and linear ??

Any downside to doing this ??

IF (that's the "big IF") when you shift to one side band you actually get a response out to 6kHz audio,
and it is not cutoff by internal audio level or RF level filtering, then imho, yes it would be a big advantage when
communicating with AM ops using a wider than the nominal 3.1kHz SSB passband typical of most tranceivers
and the like.

Most receivers will not know you are missing one sideband at all.

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015