The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:15:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PA0NVD  (Read 12141 times)
N4LTA
Contributing

« on: November 26, 2019, 08:08:24 PM »

I have been conversing with Niko, PA0NVD over the past month. He sent me some tubes for a small linear amp and I sent him some crystals that he needed for his Ten Tec rig.
The tubes arrived week or so ago and I had not heard from him on the delivery of the crystals. A couple of messages went unanswered and I was a bit worried.  I sent another message this morning asking how he was doing.

I received this message from his wife a little while ago:

I am sorry to inform you that Nico has passed away on the 16th of November.

Kind regards,

His wife, Maria.

He seemed like a very nice and generous guy, and was eager to help with technical issues.

Rest In Peace Niko.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 08:30:03 PM »

I'm so bummed to hear this.

I know he was having health problems. 

Way too soon for such a good guy.

I hope his wife is OK down in Costa Rica.

73s Nico.  You'll be missed.

--Shane
KD6VXI
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 08:45:06 PM »

you are missed very much, Nico ... very  73 sk

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 09:06:25 PM »

So sorry to hear this as I enjoyed Nico's posts on various topics.
He will be missed by the Amateur community.

Phil

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 02:02:57 AM »

Very sorry to see this news about Nico. I too enjoyed his posts. Nice fellow.

Brad K4RT
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 10:27:02 AM »

Receive in Peace, OM.

Cry

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
WA4WAX

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 10:59:37 AM »

Nico!  What a loss.

Requiescat in pace brother.
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 11:13:28 AM »

I enjoyed the time Nico spent with us here on AMfone. I would imagine that he felt the same way about us. His passing is a loss, but his presence will be long remembered.

Pura vida, Nico.

Don KK4YY

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 03:08:22 PM »

We will miss you Nico.  

Nico's depth of radio knowledge was unusual. He would talk about a new project and the next day have it running.

He mentioned he had health problems last year, but figured he had many years left to go.

He has left some of his knowledge on this forum that will help others for many years to come.

R.I.P. my friend.

Tom, K1JJ

* Nico and Chappie.png (15.92 KB, 100x76 - viewed 1371 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KD1SH

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 05:28:03 PM »

When I first joined this forum - never having been much of a forum joiner - Nico was the first to reply to my introductory post, making me feel welcome and at ease and patiently answering my newbie questions. I've enjoyed reading every post of his since. A finer gentleman, technical scholar, and ambassador for Amateur Radio and this forum, you couldn't find anywhere.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 09:37:40 AM »

That's sad indeed, he was a great forum member generous with his knowledge.

Thread moved to QSO section.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 10:03:45 AM »

This is very sad to learn of, especially on one of our holidays.  Nico had an amazing amount of technical knowledge and experience and was very industrious.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 02:03:26 PM »

I had the honor of working him on SSB. Great guy, I think we can all be thankful that we knew him and had the chance to gain from his knowledge.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 11:12:02 PM »

So sorry to hear this. He will be missed here. My he Rest In Peace. Pat, please pass along our condolences to his wife.
SM6OID

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2019, 05:32:11 AM »

Sad news indeed.
Well, we should look at the bright side, we have enjoyed a large number of nice posts from Nico.
Sorry that it ended too soon.

RADIO: 51J-4, R-390A, SP-600 JX-21, BRT-400, Set No 19, T-47/ART-13, RF-590, SRT CR91, BC-312D, BC-348Q, HF-8020/8030/8010A/8090,  and much more...

ENGINE: Zvezda M50 F6L (V12), Rolls-Royce Meteor mk4B/2 (V12), Rolls-Royce B80 (inline 8 ) and much more
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2019, 09:15:26 PM »

I sure looked forward to his topics and posts. He was amazing!

Go with God sir,

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2019, 12:23:35 PM »

Oh my.  Nico said he had recently gone on dialysis but I didn't expect things to decline so fast.  He was gracious and uplifting in all his posts.  We are fortunate to have had his company for a time.  b.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W4DNR

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 09:36:11 PM »

Nico tried to raise his family near Rotterdam.     Drug dealers were selling hard drugs across from his sons' middle school.   The authorities wouldn't do anything, so he confronted three of the drug dealers one morning. One got away, but two were put in the local hospital.    The Dutch Authorities sided with the dealers.  Nico took both of his young sons to Spain to get them away from the Dutch drug culture.  He had a successful electronics business that he moved to Spain,  where his sons grew up and married.
Nico met Maria while in Spain and they married.   Taxes and Regulations finally closed his electronics business and he and Maria picked a country that had favorable weather and government and health care .... Costa Rica.      They had just finished their house in 2018.   He built and flew ultralight aircraft in Spain and was looking for a warehouse in Costa Rica to use to build another.   He talked about his sons and their wives, but I believe he missed Chappie ( his dog ) most of all.     I picture Nico throwing a stick for Chappie and I smile.

73 NVD       Good DX my friend.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 11:30:03 AM »

Amazing travails.

God Speed Nico.

What I enjoyed most was his ability to make do without nearby vendors but with what he had in his junk box or some other neat workarounds.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KD1SH

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 12:47:06 PM »

Thanks for this.  I must admit that I got a bit emotional reading it, even though I never knew Nico personally. Maybe the recent loss of my mother has left me in a frame of mind to cogitate on such things.  The takeaway, I think, is that death isn't just the end of a life, it's the end of a story; a full and complete story that includes all the the trials and tribulations and adversity, and all the triumphs and joys as well.

Nico tried to raise his family near Rotterdam.     Drug dealers were selling hard drugs across from his sons' middle school.   The authorities wouldn't do anything, so he confronted three of the drug dealers one morning. One got away, but two were put in the local hospital.    The Dutch Authorities sided with the dealers.  Nico took both of his young sons to Spain to get them away from the Dutch drug culture.  He had a successful electronics business that he moved to Spain,  where his sons grew up and married.
Nico met Maria while in Spain and they married.   Taxes and Regulations finally closed his electronics business and he and Maria picked a country that had favorable weather and government and health care .... Costa Rica.      They had just finished their house in 2018.   He built and flew ultralight aircraft in Spain and was looking for a warehouse in Costa Rica to use to build another.   He talked about his sons and their wives, but I believe he missed Chappie ( his dog ) most of all.     I picture Nico throwing a stick for Chappie and I smile.

73 NVD       Good DX my friend.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2020, 08:17:02 PM »

Well I am sorry to be a late commentator here on Nico passing but I just learned about two days ago of his passing. I would like to say that I enjoyed his contributions and I also enjoyed a couple pleasant exchanges we had on this board.

RIP my friend!

Terry

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015