The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:04:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spacers In Over / Under 75/40 Dipole  (Read 2737 times)
W9ZSL
Contributing

« on: November 14, 2019, 12:54:05 PM »

I scored 10 NOS, still-wrapped Johnson ceramic spacers for @20. They're about 6" long by 1/2". I have a 75 meter inverted "V" that uses Copperweld wire. I want to add a second dipole for 40 beneath it, Any suggestions for some form of clamp, bushing or stay to keep the spacers in place?
W1ITT

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 03:09:42 PM »

There were a few different versions of the ceramic line spreaders and getting a matched set nowadays is a good prize.  Most of them had a shallow groove at or near the end, in addition to the hole.  The old buzzard method of making open wire line was not to thread the spacers onto the wires, but to lay them up against the groove and use a short tie wire through the hole and wrapped a few times around the main wire.  It was considered good practice to solder these connections.  That way, nothing can slip or slide and it all works well when airborne.  Using clips or other devices would add weight to the assembly and that's not what you want.

73 de Norm W1ITT
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 03:29:14 PM »

There were a few different versions of the ceramic line spreaders and getting a matched set nowadays is a good prize.  Most of them had a shallow groove at or near the end, in addition to the hole.  The old buzzard method of making open wire line was not to thread the spacers onto the wires, but to lay them up against the groove and use a short tie wire through the hole and wrapped a few times around the main wire.  It was considered good practice to solder these connections.  That way, nothing can slip or slide and it all works well when airborne.  Using clips or other devices would add weight to the assembly and that's not what you want.

73 de Norm W1ITT

From the "Handbook"...

* tie_wire.png (216.84 KB, 369x200 - viewed 482 times.)

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 05:23:20 PM »

Use a somewhat heavy Solid wire for the tie-wire.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 06:02:52 PM »

How many spacers to you plan to use. Those ceramic spacers are quite a bit heavier than plastic ones.
 I used the plastic ones on a 80/40 meter dipole at my previous QTH. They were held in place with a dab of epoxy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015