The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:36:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Force Replaces 8-inch Floppy Disk Drives  (Read 4356 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: October 22, 2019, 01:21:15 PM »

Say it ain't so ... You can’t make this up.
The U.S. Air Force has finally replaced its ancient 8-inch floppy disk drives. The 8-inch floppy disk drive was invented by IBM in the late 1980s as a replacement for punch cards. They were used to help send out emergency action messages to U.S. nuclear forces worldwide.

So, should I keep my 1.44 floppies?

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a29539578/air-force-floppy-disks/
WD8KDG

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 01:30:34 PM »

Hate to post replies to some threads. Over all, the US has become a third world country.

WD8KDG,

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
KA3EKH

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 04:48:39 PM »

There are some advantages to having a system that works and is easy to maintain. The military has no problems with supporting contractors to produce special media for new disks and you did not have to worry about them being tampered with. Thirty years or more run for a militarized system is not uncommon. Try that with the desktop junk that’s being built today, not to mention the way fat overblown operating systems.
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 05:54:20 PM »

If it ain't broke...

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 07:01:50 PM »

Well, gee.  Our old POTS line is partially on open wire.  Buried cable is where any problems happen.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 07:56:22 PM »

I remember the 8" floppies in use in 1980 at my new job.  The 8" floppy was invented by IBM in the late 1960's per Wikipedia.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 09:44:36 PM »

Worked for a small Silicon Valley computer company from 1979 to 1986 and never saw a 8 inch floppy, then I went to work for the local utility in their communications department. We had a number of Rolm phone switches, the oldest of which was a Rolm 8000 which used a 8 inch floppy to store the operating system for that switch. Those were still in use in 2015 when I retired but were being replaced with Cisco Internet/Phone systems.

In the case of the military I would think reliability and repair-ability would be more important than latest technology.
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 11:59:09 PM »

I remember the 8" floppies in use in 1980 at my new job.  The 8" floppy was invented by IBM in the late 1960's per Wikipedia.

Yes, late 1960s for inclusion in the IBM mainframe hardware, and the original application for the 8 inch floppy drive was to load the microcode into the control storage of the IBM-370 computer.  The earlier IBM-360 microcode was read-only memory in the form of ribbons or tapes, with holes cut to make either a zero or one bit.  The microcode is used to decode and execute each machine instruction in the operating system and user's application program.  Using a floppy enabled the IBM-370 to quickly update microcode when updates were necessary,  It also allowed an alternate microcode set to emulate earlier IBM computer instruction sets while customers migrated to native 370 code.  Much later, it became a general-purpose mass storage device.

When I first operated a 370, I thought, how neat it would be to have that device in a home computer.  In the late 70's, I built an 8080 machine from scratch.  The two 8 inch floppy drives set me back over $500 each, not including the controller hardware, power supply, enclosure, etc. 

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
K9PNP

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 01:29:23 PM »

We had a few vacuum tube computers [bunches of 12AT7's] and some discreet component computers in the late 60's.    They worked well for what they were designed to do.  Don't remember what the AN/TSQ-51 system used [another thing I thought I would never forget.]  They are part of the reason the system was built in semi-trailers.

Just remember:  The fancier/more complex you make something, usually it is much easier to break.  When you are sitting at a low DEFCON number, breakage is the last thing you want.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 04:40:58 PM »

There is much to be said for low density storage. 40 year old 5" FDs are still readable today and the drives still work.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 06:02:04 PM »

The tape machine on Voyager 2 has been running for 41 years.... snot to bad

klc

What? Me worry?
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 06:26:34 PM »

We were still using core memory computers shipboard and in our patrol planes when I left navy active duty in 1993.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
w9jsw
Two shots of Whisky
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 06:47:06 AM »

My first job at IBM  in 1979 was writing microcode for the 3880 storage control unit. We built the code load and used an IBM 1130 system to write the code onto the media. The 8 inch drive had a code name. The media also had a code name. If I recall correctly the media was called Figaro and the drives were called Igar drives.

Dr. Google confirms my recollection - https://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/L2006.4.3

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015