The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:51:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone using the 4SQRP Nouveau on 75?  (Read 7595 times)
WA7DUY

« on: October 13, 2019, 02:29:46 AM »

Is anyone on here using one of the NM0S and 4SQRP Nouveau's on 75 meter AM?  What has been your experience and impression of that rig?

Thank you.
Jim
WA7DUY
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 11:15:46 PM »

Jim,

I hadn't heard of the Nouveau 75 until seeing your post here. That's an interesting AM transceiver kit and it seems to be reasonably priced. http://www.4sqrp.com/n-75.php I wonder if the RF final is capable of higher output in that circuit. Maybe our Class E folks know more. I'll have to read up on Class G modulation.

Brad K4RT
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 10:05:01 AM »

Yes, Jeff-WA8SAJ checks into the AWA AM net I host each Sunday with one. 

The rig sounds excellent.  Its a long haul from his QTH out in Ohio to most of the East Coast stations, so he drives and amp with the rig and really has a nice sounding signal.

He said it was a very fun kit to build.  Oh, it has a Class E final.       

Joe-W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 10:38:51 PM »

Pretty slick! I'm getting tempted.
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 11:01:29 PM »

The present audio passband is set to about 3kHz so if you want a 5kHz passband you need to change the two caps at U2.

C37 needs to be 0.0068 uF and C35 needs to be 680 pF.

for a 6kHz passband you need to have C37 = ~ 0.00560 uF and C35 needs to be ~ 560 pF.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
N1NTE
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 07:01:31 AM »

Also tempted... having assembled several 4SQRP kits I can highly recommend them. Always fun to build.

Rob
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 02:02:28 PM »

Pretty slick! I'm getting tempted.

Well, Temptation got the best of me and I placed my order.  Should be a fun build.  Just the thing for that long "old Buzzard" transmission during QSB.    It is interesting that it has a three-pole crystal filter, Class H mod and Class E RF, all in a little box, complete with microphone.  What a deal!

Actually small and portable enough to use at the festers.  Don't need no stinkin' VHF talkie anymore!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 09:42:50 AM »

I got one too. All that I need is another project.
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 01:21:25 PM »

Got it yesterday.
w9jsw
Two shots of Whisky
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 08:06:01 PM »

Hey, Rick. Let me know when you find a 80M Rubber Ducky...
ka8gef
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 08:11:10 AM »

I suppose the next logical question would be: Any recommendations for an inexpensive 12v commercial amp that can be used with this rig in the mobile?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 04:33:53 PM »

If you're interested in building something on the cheap, the Communication Concepts EB63 kit is a good candidate. You'll have to source a few other materials and it will require a couple of mods for AM but it works well afterwards.  I have one for my Small Wonder Labs Retro 40 and Retro 75.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
KC4VWU

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 06:52:40 AM »

I think I may have to pull the trigger on one of these... but... I still haven't assembled my Retro 75 yet!
w8khk

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 01:29:30 AM »

received mine two weeks ago.  Finally assembled, will test tomorrow.  it has been a very busy month!  Very nice kit, fun build. excellent documentation, no missing parts.  GREAT!

"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
w8khk

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 07:37:34 PM »

Finished mine today, and it checks out just fine.  A bit low on positive peak modulation, but otherwise a fine build.

Hey, Rick. Let me know when you find a 80M Rubber Ducky...

John, I was thinking more along the lines of a helmet dipole, with two chicken sticks as radiating elements.  For the Stone Mountain fest tomorrow, they will be super-conductors.   No need for liquid nitrogen, ole man weather will take care of the cooling in splendid fashion.

w8khk

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 09:24:24 PM »

As far as the rubber duckie is concerned, I have one of these, the entire radio.  Should work fine....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015