The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:54:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RS1003 tube  (Read 3533 times)
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« on: September 21, 2019, 06:19:38 PM »

Just found a bunch of new RS1003 tubes. Seem nice candidates for a few experiments, so I ordered sockets. Anyone ever used this tube?
WA4WAX

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 07:13:09 PM »

Here is a data sheet....auf Deutch!

They are good up to 100 MHz, and the tube audio people like them.  Apparently, good performance as a triode connect SE audio amp.

http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/rs1003.pdf
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 08:56:45 PM »

Interesting tube. Here's another datasheet... in English.

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/short/054/4/436.pdf

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
KK4YY

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 09:32:41 PM »

Not too many tubes that I know of at this power level that use such a low plate voltage. Reminds me of a 4D32, in that way.

I was a little concerned about input/output shielding on this single-ended tube. Then I saw this socket.

* RS1003 tube socket.png (593.75 KB, 600x337 - viewed 509 times.)

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
PA0NVD

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 10:04:50 PM »

The feedback should be low, the pin-out is quite clever. The grid and the two anode pins are shielded by two G2 pins, the filament pins and two cathode pins and are at the opposite side of the base. For HF it does not worry me. . I suppose that the shielded base will be fine for 50MHz up
KK4YY

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 10:30:36 PM »

From what I've read, these tubes were commonly used for low power VHF FM broadcast stations in Europe. That's probably where the shielded socket was used. It looks like they went to considerable effort to make such a socket. I assume it was necessary to do so.

Using it at HF would require a physically larger tank circuit and with the single-ended tube design it can complicate the layout of components. I'd still keep good I/O isolation in mind. But, maybe I worry too much. Wink

PA0NVD

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 03:00:02 PM »

For sure I will keep it in mind. When I have the parts together and a chassis, I will make a 2 stage cathode modulated transmitter, A driver tube driven from a Chinese DDS vfo that I also use for my Philips transmitter and two RS1003 tubes in parallel, PI filter output.  The PI filter above the chassis, all driver electronics below.  I will make the transmitter for 40 meters.
I will keep you informed and will measure I/O isolation.
KK4YY

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 06:02:12 PM »

Cathode modulation is something I haven't studied much. It should be interesting to follow along. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015