The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:22:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Java, now Flash dead in the water affecting AM Fone  (Read 10939 times)
kb2vxa

I modulate, therefore AM

« on: September 11, 2019, 08:24:17 AM »

Houston, we have a problem, your buttons are blacked out. Chrome and Firefox have joined others in blocking Flash by default with an option to enable it on a per site one time only basis. That means when you return you have to enable it again. This option will disappear next year, Flash will be disabled permanently. That means the admins will have to find another engine for interactive content or it will be broken with only that one way to fix it.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/mozilla-disable-flash-firefox-2019/

73 de Warren KB2VXA
Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 12:35:55 PM »

It's getting ridiculous when browser coderrs presume to block stuff, but there are also many browsers to choose from.
A few versions back firefox blocked a bunch of useful plugins, and by some 'coincidence' they were the only ones that did not spy and require access to your (login/personal) data for -all- web sites!

Those buttons are supposed to be links to useful URLs, and that could be accomplished with a simple HTML table and forget about the annoyances, overhead, and definite risks of scripts and flash if the message board software allows a direct approach like that.

The SPAR link goes to some Asian ED pills site with a disguized url, but that guy looks really happy.
No need to ask why I turn flash and most scripts off and enjoy black rectangles on the web by the gross.

* little old man with grinder.jpg (108.41 KB, 639x521 - viewed 876 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W4EWH

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 09:28:57 PM »

I never have understood why Flash is used, and I'm sure that I won't miss it when it goes.

I've coded at least a dozen web sites with just HTML, and all the options I think I need are there in the many online HTML manuals.

Of course, others' opinions may vary: I'll listen to anyone with an opinion, opposing or not.

Bill, W4EWH

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
kb2vxa

I modulate, therefore AM

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 08:01:18 AM »

I seriously doubt you'll get an opposing opinion when it comes to dumping that beast Flash for HTML5, the Thoroughly Modern Millie of the interwebs be they a series of tubes or made of cats. http://rathergood.com/cats/

"It's getting ridiculous when browser coderrs presume to block stuff"
There's nothing ridiculous about maintaining a secure browser.
"but there are also many browsers to choose from."
I rode the browser merry go round until The Merry Go Round Broke Down (the Loony Tunes theme) and landed me on Firefox, a SECURE browser.
"A few versions back firefox blocked a bunch of useful plugins"
And soon regretted authoring Fartfox when Mozzarella was swamped with complaints. Only one is perfect and perfection is inscrutable.

"Those buttons are supposed to be links to useful URLs, and that could be accomplished with a simple HTML table and forget about the annoyances, overhead, and definite risks of scripts and flash if the message board software allows a direct approach like that."
BINGO. The whole idea behind starting this thread was not so much to start discussion, but more to attract the attention of the boffins that run this site. Flash is dead, only two of the sites I use forgot to bury it, and after a recent update caused it to act up the other site buried the stinking corpse.

73 de Warren KB2VXA
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 03:28:30 AM »

The point -they can get around to fixing it whenever they do. OK.

Firefox isn't so secure if one counts privacy as part of security - as it has been spying on users and keeping track of visited pages on it's own servers, and even shows them to one in new tabs, along with targeted "pocket" suggestions.
The user can choose not to see those but can't choose not to be tracked by FF/mozilla/affiliates/pocket.

It's ridiculous when the entity that offers the browser as secure is openly lying because the browser spies on the user for its commercial partner(s).
Proof that nothing's free.
One can go into FF about config and break that stuff, check w/ sniffer to see who's still talkng to whom. Also plug holes in the hosts file just to be sure - why trust a free program -trust your own rules instead. No guarantees.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kb2vxa

I modulate, therefore AM

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 09:39:29 AM »

That's why I go by my own rules when I fly the unfriendly skies of the Internet.

73 de Warren KB2VXA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015