The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:48:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hosstraders  (Read 25664 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: April 06, 2005, 05:08:43 PM »

Who's heading to hosstraders?  Camping out?  I'm thinking of doing my first campout there instead of rushing up Saturday for a couple hours and rushing back home.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 06:28:29 PM »

I went there for the first time last fall and had a great time. I just passed out in the auto and slept surprisingly well. Cheesy  I hope to make it back there this spring.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
ka1bwo

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 08:02:12 AM »

We will be there  Friday afternoon, camping. I've been off the air for a month  had take down my station.........hope to back soon at my mom's house, lot is small will have to be creative for a effective antenna system.  My new email address is Ka1bwo@highstream.net........ see you all  at the fest
Joe
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 10:21:52 AM »

a large amount of beer helps sleeping in weird positions.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 01:57:22 PM »

When is the fester?

Quote from: WA1GFZ
a large amount of beer helps sleeping in weird positions.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 01:59:56 PM »

5/6 & 5/7
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 03:25:01 PM »

The reason I'm asking is this may be my first and last chance to meet some of the AM gang face to face. I'll be moving down to North Carolina next spring and It would be a shame not to hang with the gang at least once before I head south.... Any idea how many hours drive time from the southern NY, NYC area? I have a mini van with only the front seats installed (room for my RC planes) so plenty of room to crash in the back

5/6 & 5/7
W1JS

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 04:17:40 PM »

Starting from:     Monsey, NY 10952
Arriving at:       Contoocook, NH 03229
Distance:       256.4 miles    
Approximate Travel Time:    5 hours 15 mins

Closer than North Carolina!

Cheesy

Only 10 miles, 20 minutes for me...

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 04:19:10 PM »

Thanks Jack!.... yes indeed closer than NC  Cheesy

Quote from: W1JS
Starting from:     Monsey, NY 10952
Arriving at:       Contoocook, NH 03229
Distance:       256.4 miles    
Approximate Travel Time:    5 hours 15 mins

Closer than North Carolina!

Cheesy

Only 10 miles, 20 minutes for me...
kc2ifr
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 04:24:56 PM »

Ill  be there Friday AM early...sleep in my van......leave Saturday about 2PM.
Hope to see ya all there!!!!!!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 05:56:49 PM »

Quote from: Glenn K2KL
The reason I'm asking is this may be my first and last chance to meet some of the AM gang face to face. I'll be moving down to North Carolina next spring and It would be a shame not to hang with the gang at least once before I head south.... Any idea how many hours drive time from the southern NY, NYC area? I have a mini van with only the front seats installed (room for my RC planes) so plenty of room to crash in the back

5/6 & 5/7

Not to fret Glenn. Lots of great hamfesters in NC and surrounding states.
To name a few: Charlotte in early Spring, Winston-Salem in June, and Shelby in Sep. Always lots of great stuff to drag home from these places. You might even see hams from Jersey at these places.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 07:07:38 PM »

Lotsa guys sleeping in vans.  Promises to be a fragrant hamfest!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 07:21:12 PM »

I heard Shelby is a great fest, but it's the not lack of festers that I'm worried about, it's getting to meet the Northeastern boys before I move down yonder!!!!  Cool  Cool

Anybody wanna jam??? perhaps some PW blues??

Quote from: Pete, WA2CWA
Quote from: Glenn K2KL

5/6 & 5/7

Not to fret Glenn. Lots of great hamfesters in NC and surrounding states.
To name a few: Charlotte in early Spring, Winston-Salem in June, and Shelby in Sep. Always lots of great stuff to drag home from these places. You might even see hams from Jersey at these places.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 03:25:51 PM »

Can one of you hosstraders oldtimers please direct me to some fester info? Directions? etc...

I'm seriously thinking about taking off from work on Friday, and Like Bill IFR is doing, drive up Friday morning, spending Friday night in the van and leave on Saturday..... unless there's some big party happening on Saturday night... good excuse to hang.  :lol:

This will be my first time at Hosstraders, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
kc2ifr
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »

Glen,
Hosstraders is GREAT....u will NOT be disappointed. The folks are first rate, the food is great....many food venders.......the AM crowd is fantastic.....the setting is perfect.......like a camp ground......the beer is always flowing......well I think u get the picture. If u get there early Friday AM.....get in the sellers line, it will cost u 20 bucks to get in with your car....then once in look for the Swine Barn....the AM'ers will be there. Cant wait to see ya...
Bill
W1JS

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 05:44:35 PM »

Glenn,

Hosstraders is always a good time.  Bill covered it pretty well.  When you arrive, find the "AM Corral" and you be just fine.  The usual 2 meter FM frequency for AM'ers is 146.445 MHz simplex.  We have a local repeater on 146.895 MHz  (- input and 100.0 pl) which usually sponsors a talk-in.  The Hopkinton Fairgrounds is in the village of Contoocook, NH which is just off  Interstate Route 89 and about 10 miles outside of the capital city of Concord.  It is real easy to find.  This URL is the "official Hosstraders site":

http://www.qsl.net/k1rqg/

Hope to see you there.

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2005, 07:36:02 PM »

This being my first time to camp out at Hosstraders where can/do the campers park and setup?  As a camper can one get within the sellin' area to setup a campsite even though one is not a seller?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1JS

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2005, 09:50:49 PM »

As a camper can one get within the sellin' area to setup a campsite even though one is not a seller?

Short answer is yes.  

Long answer:  Since the camping is in the selling area, you may have to pay both the camping fee and the selling fee, $10 each.  Check the Hosstraders site.  I am not sure about both fees..., because I go in Friday, but go home to sleep and return Saturday.  There is lots of room removed from the "selling alleys" for camping.  For the daytrippers, not sellers, the parking is outside the fairgrounds (outside the fence).  The sellers and campers are within the fairgrounds (inside the fence).  

It's late Friday.  Been a long week.  Dunno know how much sense this makes.  I think I would go with the short answer.        :roll:

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2005, 09:40:51 AM »

Hope to see you there Glenn- probably this would be the first time since you lived down the street in West Nyack and I traded my DX-40 for that 35 MM camera back in high school.

You definitely want to take Friday off and get there early.  Gates open at 0900 I think, but before that everyone lines up in one of the outer parking fields.  

Lots of socializing, food and drink avalable.  I nominate you to bring up some Rockland Bakery bagels and real NY style hard rolls (no one in New England knows how to make em right) for breakfast on Satudray!  Diane usually cooks up a big pot of chili for me to bring up.

If you are camping, plan on paying the admission fee plus sellers fee, comes to I think 30 bucks for early arrivals, 20 after 4 PM Friday.  The place clears out by about 1400 Saturday.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2005, 07:48:02 PM »

Thanks Jack.
Yeah, all I want to be able to do is pull in with the truck and setup a small camp area for sleeping over. Do some partying and crash out then hit the road the next day.  It doesn't need to be near the selling area but not in the regular parking lot for the day trippers.  All I want to do is setup off the beaten path as it were.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 09:41:33 AM »

Hey Chris!... It's been a while!!!.... Yep, that was probably around 1973 when we traded DX-40 for camera?... I'm still working on getting the day off, so it's not a definate yet... No problem on the Bagels and rolls except I'll have to buy them Thursday afternoon because I may leave for the fest early Thursday evening, providing they'll let me camp Thursday night..

You know where I'm coming from,, any suggestions for the best route there?

Quote from: AJ1G
Hope to see you there Glenn- probably this would be the first time since you lived down the street in West Nyack and I traded my DX-40 for that 35 MM camera back in high school.

You definitely want to take Friday off and get there early.  Gates open at 0900 I think, but before that everyone lines up in one of the outer parking fields.  

Lots of socializing, food and drink avalable.  I nominate you to bring up some Rockland Bakery bagels and real NY style hard rolls (no one in New England knows how to make em right) for breakfast on Satudray!  Diane usually cooks up a big pot of chili for me to bring up.

If you are camping, plan on paying the admission fee plus sellers fee, comes to I think 30 bucks for early arrivals, 20 after 4 PM Friday.  The place clears out by about 1400 Saturday.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 01:49:20 PM »

Do they charge more for buyers if you arrive before 4PM? I park out in the field since I stopped selling a few years back, but it might make more sense to pay to go in as a seller. I'm planning to get there by noon or so.

First time I camped was the first time I sold at Deerfield way back when. Slept in the back of a Ford Ranger with a cap. Heavy rain started around 3AM, scared the hell outta me. Sounded like someone was unloading a dumptruck load of marbles on top of that aluminum cap, quite the wakeup call. Still beats the time I slept under someone's truck or motorhome, though.  :roll:

As everyone has said, it's a great time to be had by one and all. You'll never find a more knowedgeable bunch of beer afficionados anywhere. They even know stuff about radio!

~ KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2005, 04:09:14 PM »

Hi Jack.

Thanks for the info. I'm keeping my fingers crossed about getting Friday off from work, should know by Wed. Looking forward to meeting everyone

Quote from: W1JS
Glenn,

Hosstraders is always a good time.  Bill covered it pretty well.  When you arrive, find the "AM Corral" and you be just fine.  The usual 2 meter FM frequency for AM'ers is 146.445 MHz simplex.  We have a local repeater on 146.895 MHz  (- input and 100.0 pl) which usually sponsors a talk-in.  The Hopkinton Fairgrounds is in the village of Contoocook, NH which is just off  Interstate Route 89 and about 10 miles outside of the capital city of Concord.  It is real easy to find.  This URL is the "official Hosstraders site":

http://www.qsl.net/k1rqg/

Hope to see you there.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2005, 04:14:21 PM »

Sounds like a lot of fun!  Cool  Cool  The website says no camping on Thursday night, that means I'll probably have to depart NY about 3am Friday morning!  :oops: which means my butt will be dragging Friday night, but Beer has a funny way of keeping me awake. There's a rumor Brent is bringing a keg of Sam Addams!..

Quote from: Todd, KA1KAQ
Do they charge more for buyers if you arrive before 4PM? I park out in the field since I stopped selling a few years back, but it might make more sense to pay to go in as a seller. I'm planning to get there by noon or so.

First time I camped was the first time I sold at Deerfield way back when. Slept in the back of a Ford Ranger with a cap. Heavy rain started around 3AM, scared the hell outta me. Sounded like someone was unloading a dumptruck load of marbles on top of that aluminum cap, quite the wakeup call. Still beats the time I slept under someone's truck or motorhome, though.  :roll:

As everyone has said, it's a great time to be had by one and all. You'll never find a more knowedgeable bunch of beer afficionados anywhere. They even know stuff about radio!

~ KAQ
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2005, 11:33:25 PM »

Glen - from Rockland County, take I-287 over the TZ Bridge to I-684 North to I-84 East.   I-84 East to the Mass Pike East to I-495 North.  Near Lowell, take Route 3 North to Concord NH (some tolls).  From 3 North, take I-89 North to Exit 7.  At end of ramp, go right and take your first right (only a few hundred feet  - Warner Road is the road name I think).  Fairground is a few miles down the road on the left. On site, the AMer's 2 meter FM frequency is 146.445 Mhz simplex.

I think the DX-40 / camera swap went down in 1970 because I remember having the camera at URI that fall of my freshman year. I also had the Scott SLRM and Apache at my dorm, but didn't run them much because the transmitter got into everyone's stereos.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015