The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:14:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W2WLR - "Watertown's Little Radio"  (Read 18042 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: April 06, 2005, 10:36:47 AM »

Curious to know if George is still active, or even still around. He was an OT back when I got on, so it's quite possible he's moved on to the Great Hamsfest in the Sky.

Interesting fellow - seemed quite knowledgable on radio matters but could also be a bit....Irbesque at times, talking about things like how bad corn was for you because it would keep you awake at night and was hard to digest. No political rants that I can recall, more like 'lectures' on his patented antenna designs, his research, published works and so on. I didn't know a lot then and have forgotten half of that now, so he pretty much always talked over my head. The crystal clear 'Thor's Hammer' type of signal he had is still firmly etched in my mind, though. I was never quite sure if he was telling the truth or BSing me half the time, but his signal was like a beacon on 75 and always pleasant to listen to.

Anyone from that area with first hand knowledge of W2WLR who can shed some light? Bruce, you used to live over in that neck of the woods - was he still around when you got on AM?

~ Todd, KA1KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 11:02:41 AM »

Callsign: W2WLR   Class: Advanced   Codes: HAI   USA
Name: GEORGE A BONADIO
Addr1: 373 EAST AVE
Addr2: WATERTOWN, NY 13601-3829
Effective: 17 Jun 1998   Expires: 17 Jun 2008

..... but could also be a bit....Irbesque at times,

Listed as being in JEFFERSON County, no less !!!!!
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 11:56:35 AM »

I remember George very well from many years ago.  He was an interesting guy, but totally convinced of the superiority of everything he did.  If I talked with him once a week, I would always have to tell him what my name was.  On the other hand, after lecturing me for weeks on the superiority of his audio system, he sent me a whole box of torroids with coils wound on them, and detailed scribbled schematics of how to "fix" my audio.

He considered himself an expert on nutrition, and also had as his return address a stamp that read, "Bonadio's Opinion Service."  Actually, he earned his living running a liquor store.  Interesting combo with nutrition and opinions!

Bill, W3DUQ knew him quite well, and talked with him more frequently than I did.  He may know something of his whereabouts.  Last I heard, he was limiting his radio contacts to 2 meters.  That's all I know about "Watertown's LIttle Radio."

Oh, and BTW, I see little resemblance between him and Irb.  George always struck me as intelligent.

VH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 12:08:30 PM »

George was the person who delivered the news that my grandparent's home in Watertown had been demolished. They sold the house in 1972 to the Ramada Inn owners which were next door. Next door was like a few thousand feet away. Ramada leased the home out for many years and I always knew it would be wrecked. The place was built in 1812. When I asked George about the house he said "You better get out your crying towel." That was 16 years ago.
    George said that he was well known in Watertown for his 160 metre balloon experiments which he did after WW2.
     Yup, never run your feeders at right angles. Audio energy changes 8 db per octave....
     I believe there is a repeater which still uses his call.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 06:34:38 PM »

I remember when corresponding with him, I once noticed that his address included the usual street and number plus the addition of  "Bonadio Building".

He used to regularly write articles in The AM Press/Exchange

He had some pretty off-the-wall ideas about antenna theory, but his audio theory seemed highly credible.  He did a long series on "the superiority of AM," which was a follow-up to an early paper on "enhanced AM."

One interesting aspect of his theory, supposedly based on Bell Telephone research in the 30's and 40's, was that the human voice is more like an FM signal, that scans across a certain spectrum range, and that the apparent pitch of a voice is due to the scanning rate, not solely the absolute frequency components of the voice.  His theory contends that the actual spectral frequency range of a "high pitched" voice is approximately the same as a "deep bass" voice, and that the scanning rates are what differ.  Therefore, "communication quality" audio, with limited frequency range, actually limits intelligibility, because portions of each "scan" are suppressed by the limited frequency response, and these "holes" in the audio hamper intelligibility.

His "enhanced AM" paper proposes a flat response down to the lower limits of hearing, below 50~, combined with a pre-emphasis curve with a linear rise beginning at about 800~ and continuing beyond 2500~ ultimately at about +10 dB, and then a sharp cut off above 3500~.

However, listening to his audio over the air was never as impressive as his theory.  It always seemed to be of fairly good quality with a good ability to cut through the QRM, but  lacking in lows and the highs didn't seem spectacular, either.

I use what is pretty close to that which his theory proposes, in regard to frequency response and the pre-emphasis curve, using two mics mixed together and switchable low pass filters.  The sharp filter cuts off, brick-wall like, at 3400~, while the more gradual cutoff filter begins to roll off at about 4500~ and the cutoff is complete at about 7500~.  I have found that the pre-emphasis between 800~ and 2000+~ compensates for the lack of highs above 3400~, and many people give me "broadcast quality" reports even with the 3400~ low pass in line.  However, when doing an A-B comparison with the sharp filter in/out, I nearly always get better reports with the more gradual filter or no filter at all.

However, I don't claim to be running W2WLR "enhanced AM" although its theory of operation has a lot in common with my audio, and correspondence with George years ago did have a  strong influence on how I set up my audio.

Interesting were his "B values" (if I recall the term correctly) for determining how much capacitance to use in such things as by-pass caps, power supply filters and coupling caps.

Much of his audio theory was sound from an engineering standpoint.  Somewhere around here I still have a copy of his "enhanced AM" paper, which was passed along to me about 1970 by "Hoisy" W4CJL, the founder of SPAM (Society for Promotion of AM).

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WB2CAU

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 07:09:13 AM »

I remember those (copyrighted) articles in the AM/PE about his theory on a superior antenna design... however, his signal was not very spectacular here on Long Island (the opposite end of NY State from Watertown), so I never could take his antenna theories seriously.  Equivalent-distance stations from other directions would blow him away at this location. He was an entertaining individual on the air and I always enjoyed listening in to his transmissions. I also fail to see the similarity between him and Irb.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 10:39:33 AM »

Some interesting comments. Don, your post really brought back a lot for me since I recall having the same conversation or explanation from George about the audio qualities of the human voice.  He really enjoyed the explaining part a lot, probably would've made a good teacher. I never knew he owned a liquor store. That does seem an odd partner with the nutrition side of things.

I certainly didn't mean to make a direct comparsion between Irb and George, although I don't think Irb is particularly unintelligent either - more like he chooses to act in a way that supports his views or attitudes, regardless of how ridiculous they may be to the rest of us. The reference was more to talking with George about audio limitations or an antenna design and ending up hearing instead about the evils of corn or something completely unrelated, at great length. I'm sure that George believed it, perhaps he even had some data to support it. It wasn't the same in my world, anymore than Irb's black helicopters are. Hence the term 'Irbesque'.  Maybe 'going off an a completely unrelated tangent' would've been a better choice of words.

George's signal into Vermont was almost always crystal clear, like he was running 50kw into a massive array pointed specifically at my antenna. At times of high noise levels his signal would suffer, but still stuck out from the noise in a very distinctive way. Most likely a combination of his particular voice with the modifications he had made to his transmitter. I remember one time he offered me his old 32V if I wanted to come get it (needed some iron for mine) but he warned "It's been modified so many times you might not recognize it". He then told me about the many experiments he had used it for and ways he had attempted to prove or disprove theories with it. This included all of the errors Collins had made in the design.

As others have said, George's conversations or 'talks' were always entertaining and enjoyable to me as well, which is why I asked the original question. Like Ozona Bob, Ashtabula Bill and others of that time and ilk, George will always hold a place high up in my memories of 'old buzzard radio'.

Hopefully more folks will jump in with their recollections.

~ Todd, KA1KAQ

WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 12:37:22 PM »

George may have know about audio or at least had the right book but his antenna ideas could never be demonstrated. I asked him to switch his pattern and he gave me a line of crap that he couldn't. This was back when I was playing with driven phased antennas. He talked about a configuration I had tried and knew it didn't work so I trapped him a bit.

He was a nice guy to talk to about corn though. I'm surprised the Indians didn't starve to death eating all that corn.
Herb K2VH

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 01:06:39 PM »

We all seem to be sorta talking about George as if he weren't with us any more.  I have not heard that he has died.  Want to see a picture of George, and read about some of his accomplishments outside of ham radio?  Click here.

www.marketlaunchers.com/bonadio.html

If you want more info on George go to google.com.

VH

K2VHerb

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 02:44:25 PM »

Wow!  George is quite a promoter!  Tom Vu and the late night info commercials should take notice. Here's some of the benefits of using his "Indium"  product taken from Herb's link above. [I'm sold! Cheesy ]

T

------------------

"It peps up my liver."

"Sleeping better, feeling better."

"After about three weeks on indium her pain is somewhat less severe and she sleeps better."

"I have no more catarrhal problems and require less sleep."

"Clearer speech -- muscles more limber -- walking steadier." (This customer has Parkinson's Disease.)

"It has given me a great deal more energy."

"I have noticed an increase in energy, so far."

"Morning temperature raised from 97.0 to 98.2 degrees. Evening temperature raised from 98.0 to 98.6 degrees. Hands and feet feel warmer. Noticed increase in energy. Disappearance of pain in right knee and both wrists."

"No side effects after 6 weeks at (twice normal intake) per day. My age is 61."

"Increased energy and vitality -- general feeling of well-being. Sleep better. I can not see any difference between one-a-day and three-a-day."

"High blood pressure reduced (in 60 days it went from 165/110 to 126/81. Five days later it went down to 120/71. Circulation improved. Ankle -- formerly stiff ankle joints became flexible. Arm -- regression of skin blotch from 1 inch to 1/4 inch and regressing. Facial -- liver spots regressing. Skin softer and more flexible. Hair -- more body to it. Nasal -- clearer and easier breathing. Sinus -- clearance of sinus. Lungs -- seem looser with more expansion. Veins -- more prominent. Muscles -- more strength and faster recovery after straining. Condition -- not as tired as before. Sleep -- restful and adequate feeling -- woke up refreshed. Libido -- activated. Spring in steps."

"My chapped hands cleared up. I woke up earlier Thursday morning. Sexual libido increased starting Thursday. Mental ability or mental drive or mental activity seemed to increase, oddly enough, sexual libido increased on Tuesday after six day's intake. Two weeks earlier (one week off, in between) the same thing happened, after six day's intake."

"Nerves seem to be much better."

"My period seems to be on schedule of 28 days ... no other noticeable change, except no more craving for coffee."

"More alert with better power of concentration. Definite improvement in memory. Continued improvement in thinking ability and recall."

"Quickening of body sensitivity, and a sense of well-being."
Additional quotes include:

"Easier not to feel hungrier all the time... appetite much smaller, I am more on the move. Day it came I had a migraine ... two hours later headache left ... and the week I take none and I observe I'm hungry and gain weight."

"Just a general improved feeling."

"At the end of first week, appetite greatly diminished and appetite more readily satisfied. More energy and generally in a better mood and frame of mind. Lost 3 lbs."

"I feel better, more energy, digest better, sleep better -- am very pleased with the results so far. My family members noticed the same results."

"In a CVA case; it has been observed that recovery was accelerated."

"Have lost 11 pounds while taking indium. Feel more alert, awake while taking it."

"I had to discontinue it temporarily because it neutralized the effects of Tylenol, which I am taking for pain."

"Recommended to me by a friend who is getting good results with it."

"I notice I'm not so sleepy this week."

"The Mrs. is doing great on indium."

"Energy level and stamina are higher than normal or usual. No specific symptom I can think of.

"I feel really great."

"I felt the nerves were stronger--the brain more clear and sharp-sleep become so natural, I did not want to wake up. I felt a sort of natural meditation."

"I've noticed I've been dumping a lot more poisons. I think it is enough ... a great more detoxification ... p.s. from wife: ... He nearly died years ago with very severe hepatitis, jaundice, liver damage, etc."

"My 76-year old husband has been taking it principally for senility problems. He feels they might have helped a little and thought he missed them on alternative weeks taking none."
Here are comments from seven notarized statements prepared for the Commissioner of Patents, in a Patent Application:

From a Security Policeman at a local hospital:

"From sluggishness and no pep I changed into a feeling of happiness inside. People now tell me that I talk more friendly and smile easier. My sex drive has improved remarkably, for my 50 years of age, to like it was when I was 25. Not quite as much anxiety. Able to sit without being anxious to get up and move. A clearness to my mind."

From a Financial Trustee of the local Synagogue:

"Was down in the dumps at 76 but now feel radiant. Feel more like living. Don't need as many hours of sleep and not tired, anymore, when I get up. Previously I did not want to get out of bed. More interested in daily affairs."

From a Doctor (probably cancerous):

"A little more energy, I think ... lessening of rawness in right chest ... improved energy, improved appetite over past week ... totally free of irritations in right chest for first time in several months ... off from indium for three days, now ... discomfort again in right chest. On indium again. No rawness in chest. Vitality much improved again."

From an Investment Counselor :

"I am sleeping about two hours less per night but I am just as rested. More ambitious. I have more drive. I have been clearing up what I never touched before. I have such a sense of well being that I could run back from lunch instead of walking. Mentally I am more organized, more clear. I think of many things now. My mind is busy all the time."

From a Registered Nurse (probably cancerous):

"The symptoms I had yesterday (in a haze at times and forgetful, some numbness around mouth and tongue) have disappeared ... more energy today. Feel better generally. Sleep very well. Did not wake during night, usually do ... woke 1 & 1/2 hours before normal time and felt relaxed ... lost 3 pounds (overweight). Still feel much better than two weeks ago. Doing more things."

From a Retired Clergyman:

"An improvement in rest so that I awaken a full hour before the alarm and I am completely rested. A very definite libido improvement."

The following are results from customers who measured the impact of Indium use:

Sore throats stopped by spraying, in under one hour

Less sleep needed for full recuperation, in two days

Better comfort reported by ill persons, within the first week

Obvious sense of well being, within the first week

Rates of hearings of scratches, burns, bruises speeded, under one week

Elimination of pains of localized cancer, by the first week

Taste sensitivity restored in seniors, after the first week

Senior return of sense of smell, in a week

Better normalization of too low blood sugar, in second week

Hypoglycemia range reduced to near normal, in second week

Stopping of routine migraine headache, in hours to two weeks

Parkinsonism member walks, talks, navigates better, under two weeks

Endurance of hard work or play measurably extended, in ten days

Normalization from low amounts of tears and saliva, in two weeks

Senior diabetic control of sugar level, gradually for weeks

In two HIV/AIDS, wasting diarrhea returned to normal, after two weeks

Return to normal range of libido, both male & female, in second week

Softening of hard ear wax, in several weeks

Eyeball pains disappear, by third week

Better normalization of too low blood pressure, after two months

Eyeball pressure reduces gradually towards normal, slowly for months

Retarded growth boys returned to nearly normal, by three months

Ending of internal and external, itching, burning, bleeding piles, after months

Eyeball pressure endangering glaucoma reduced to normal, gradually for months

Monthly cycle irregularity return to normal, in two months

Return of hair growth of prime age, in several months

Disappearance of persistent dandruff, after six months

Better normalization of too high blood pressure, gradually for months

Ending of dry hard skin on elbows and knees, after a year

Childbirth Relaxin prevents prematurity & elasticizes pubic area, all nine months

Slower tooth tarter buildup allowing longer between dental cleaning trips, in years

Return of moonrise at base of fingernails, in the second year

Better distinguishing as to which gender dominates in a person, long term

Appearances of the long term aging rates are substantially slower, after decades

In lab mice the utilization of minerals from food increased surprisingly, lab 500 days

In mice, the cancer and malignant tumor rates came down by 26% & 42%, in labs

Human with PSA (normal is below Cool at 313, with Indium, down to 211 in two months (-33%), down to 174 in third month (-44%) & down to 85 (-75%) in the latest report.

All new cancers reduced well over 50%
All new glaucoma permanent blindness reduced over 90%
All deaths from high blood pressures, heart & brain, down by 60%.
Severity of the common colds reduced by 50%
Better restoration from sleep equaling over an hour per day
Migraine occurrences reduced by more than 75%
The 14% of births with problems reduced over 70%
9: The rate of apparent aging reduction improving progressively from age 30, at greater amounts through older ages, in physical signs
The rates of graying of hair conspicuously reduced in all cases.
The improvements in memories, at all ages, showing in school grades
The continuations of the sense of smell, flow of tears and saliva longer
The endurance of strenuous overexertion re-establishing all such sports records to new levels, including in all mammal animals
The rapid balances of our dozens of hormones controlled by our pituitary-and-hypothalamus-feedback re-leveling, about once a minute, being much more effective than by any other means possible.

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Herb K2VH

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 03:34:32 PM »

I told you he was smart!

Vitamin Herb

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 03:42:11 PM »

How does a peppy liver feel?
Do you get a liver on?
How do you spot a retarded growth on a boy? Is it like a tick
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 04:05:55 PM »

a TICK? *snort*  :lol:

What's really amusing about the Idium thing is that I found at least one place trying to rip him off by selling a diluted version with different application instructions. His patent isn't on the mineral, but the use/application of. He has a buncha patents, and more waiting to be funded.

Here's something much more interesting and non-Vu-like:

http://www.military.com/Content/MoreContent1/?file=dday_index

Scroll down to:  George Bonadio
Lieutenant Bonadio saw action in North Africa and served on the Liaison Staff to the British Admiralty during the landings at Normandy. More...

Seems George is well-travelled as well. Gen. Omar Bradley wrote about him on pg 305 of his book and Dinah Shore kissed him. He was also the holder of a Top Secret BIGOT' card for the D-Day landings, but you'll have to read up on that yourself. VERY interesting stuff, from a historical perspective. George is the one who sent in the DD Sherman tanks on Omaha beach, most of which sunk offshore. It's in that article.

Thanks for posting that link, Herb - it's great to put a face to the voice after all these years. DOB I found is 12/14/1917 which would make him around 88 now. Hope he's still as spry as ever. You just never know who's on the other end of that microphone and where they've been. Well, okay - not in all cases. Sometimes you wish you didn't know what you do!

73, Todd  KA1KAQ

W2JBL

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 07:05:47 PM »

my father knew W2WLR quite well, and had met him a number of times. somehow i never got to meet him when i was up in the area with dad though. i count George as one of my mentors in AM in my early days, and used to talk to him often on 75. he taught me the value of premphasis applied to AM. i never agreed with his complete audio system ideas allthough i did like his air sound. i don't know of a Watertown area repeater with is call, nor have i heard him on 2 meters when i'm in his area.  when i get up there in May i'll ask the locals about him- his whereabouts etc. while we are on the subject- what ever happened to the bootlegger who claimed to be George's son?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 10:06:30 PM »

According to someone who grew up in Watertown, George built a repeater back in the early days of repeaters (when you had to build them). His was at or near commercial quality and was much superior to others in the area. I don't know the call sign.
W2JBL

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2005, 12:20:59 AM »

okfine Steve. i operated a lot of 2 meter CB in the early days- 1970-75 in the central New York and Adirondack areas. did lots of hilltopping with dad in the family station wagon, and never heard George on there, or a repeater with his callsign. i know of three repeaters that are active in Watertown though, and use them when i'm up to camp every summer. i'm going up in May, and will ask around about him. i still have all my logs (gennie ARRL mini mobile logbooks!) from those days. serious DX on 146.94 simplex with a TR-22 and mag mount on the roof of the Torino wagon!
W1UJR
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2005, 09:12:32 AM »

When I lived in Buffalo my local radio club had a 2 meter repeater which was on the same freq as George's system.

We were located perhaps 200 miles away, but during ducting his system would strap ours and cause all kinds of interesting problems.

The freq was 147.255.

Our repeater builder, Jerry N2QLS was also a AMer at that time and was quite concerned with offending George whom he held in very high regard.

The N2QLS system and HF station - http://hamgate.sunyerie.edu/~buffaloam/n2qls.htm

Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2005, 01:11:03 PM »

I don't remember George running AM VOX, I think that was W2AXX in Endicott, NY, back around 1970.  But maybe George tried it too.

I remember George from back around 1970, he was promoting a five-letter acronym for equalized audio if I recall.  I asked him about it when I ran into him again around 1990, but he didn't remember exactly what the acronym was either.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 07:56:33 PM »

I aksed my buddy Mike, N9MC (who some of you met at Phrank's Pharty last year Timonium) as I knew that he knew George.  Here's his response:

Hi John,

After seeing your link to the article on the AM website about George
Bonadio, W2WLR, I called my brother in Watertown and asked him to see if
George was still around.  After two weeks of communicating with my brother
(who claims to be actively looking for W2WLR), last night I looked up
George's phone number on the Internet and gave him a call from here in
Manila.  He is 87 years old and still going very strong.  He was always a
bit of a health fanatic and still weighs 150 pounds which is about five
pounds less than he weighed right after World War II.

In the early 60's, when I was a 13 years old novice (WN2OKM), George was one
of the instructors for the amateur radio classes held at the civil defense
center at the new county office building in Watertown.  He owned the liquor
store on Public Square that his father had owned and seemed old then - at
least to a 13 year old.  He is still a tinkerer and inventor with several
patents to his name and several more pending.  

When I was in my thirties, he sold the liquor store and semi-retired but
continued to work as an independent nutritional therapist, hypnotist, and
inventor.   He was quite successful at helping a number of people lose
weight and helped several people where I worked to instantly give up smoking
after decades of being unable to quit - though it didn't work on everyone.  

In later years George funded an excellent 2 meter repeater.  As I recall the
antenna was on a 1000 foot TV tower up on Tug Hill.  Joe Loveland (WB2TUP),
assisted George with this and I recall a time back in the eighties when I
had a brief QSO with Joe on that repeater from 38,000 feet over Detroit
using my new Yaesu 727R hand held.

George has some antenna problems right now and hasn't been on the air
lately.  After Dayton, I plan to go up to Watertown on some other business
and will stop over there for an eyeball QSO.  I'll let you know how he is
doing and see if we can't get him back on the air.  He still has a lot of
wisdom to share and will likely out live many of us.  

Mike

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 12:18:54 PM »

Many, many thanks for that update, John. Seems like only yesterday I talked with the likes of George, Uncle Eddy 'PUN and others regularly(Ed's the one who gave me the 'Voice of Vermont' tag when I had the big rig on the air). More like 10-15 years ago. Time slips by pretty fast if you don't use it wisely.

It sure would be nice to hear him back on the air. Hell, it'd be nice to get back on the air myself!

73, Todd

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2005, 05:03:42 PM »

Quote from: Todd, KA1KAQ
Ed's the one who gave me the 'Voice of Vermont' tag when I had the big rig on the air

Remember Blown-away Bob, K1AJL (SK) in Rutland VT?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 11:03:55 AM »

Remember Blown-away Bob, K1AJL (SK) in Rutland VT?

Yep, sure do. In fact, Irb gave his permission or 'blessing' for me to use the line since Bob hadn't been on the air for quite a while. He later passed away and though I never got down there, I heard many stories of the piles of stuff lying around. Apparently it was such a mess that no one wanted to bother going through most of it.

Found one of my old log sheets the other night, of course I was just clever enough to put the day and month but no year. Need to find the rest of them, because I can't recall working anyone in VT back then. A few AMers have moved up this way in recent years, though. Still remember some of the club members being disappointed that I had '"turned down the path of AM" because they had such hope for me. Wasn't long after that I discovered how little I liked clubs.

w3duq

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 11:28:22 AM »

I used to talk with george on a regular basis and always found the conversations stimulating to say the least. We covered many subjects of mutual interest --ufo/nutrition/hypnotism/physics/am audio  etc.

I tried the INDIUM thing about 25 years ago and don't remember it doing anything, BUT that could have been because my chemical makeup had been "artifially" altered  Smiley)

Ordered a fresh supply so we shall see what happens this time round.

bill  w3duq
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015