The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:10:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Strapping W1IA 'Tis Morning  (Read 6933 times)
W1UJR
« on: March 31, 2005, 11:42:58 AM »

Brent OM, you were just strapping into coastal Maine with the homebrew TX this moring.

Nice full audio, buried the guess-meter on the receiver.
I heard some hummage on the signal, but understand you had a variac issue.

So congrats on the effort OM, I know that as been your daily crusade for the last month or so.
Hiram would be proud.

You so motivated me as to move a plate modulated rig and old buzzard receiver to the new QTH and put the ricebox away.
Should be on the air later today with the Viking Ranger + and National receiver.
Not as strapping as the 1IA rig but nice low power Johnny Novice station.

How about posting a pix of the rig here in the forum for all to see.

73 Bruce W1UJR
W1IA

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 08:49:44 PM »

Quote from: W1UJR
Brent OM, you were just strapping into coastal Maine with the homebrew TX this moring.

Nice full audio, buried the guess-meter on the receiver.
I heard some hummage on the signal, but understand you had a variac issue.

So congrats on the effort OM, I know that as been your daily crusade for the last month or so.
Hiram would be proud.

You so motivated me as to move a plate modulated rig and old buzzard receiver to the new QTH and put the ricebox away.
Should be on the air later today with the Viking Ranger + and National receiver.
Not as strapping as the 1IA rig but nice low power Johnny Novice station.

How about posting a pix of the rig here in the forum for all to see.

73 Bruce W1UJR

Thanks Bruce...it was a fun project and I have a noisy tranny in the rig...so at least not in the output, just acoustics from the mic. My web page will not link direct to AMFONE so I will put the link on this message.

https://home.comcast.net/~w1ia/

Brent(Tina) W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 08:57:30 PM »

Sure like those tie point using wire nuts.  Better for RF or Audio?
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 09:16:19 PM »

Quote from: W1IA
Thanks Bruce...it was a fun project and I have a noisy tranny in the rig...so at least not in the output, just acoustics from the mic. My web page will not link direct to AMFONE so I will put the link on this message.

https://home.comcast.net/~w1ia/

Brent(Tina) W1IA

I heard the strapfest tonight, that was a blast, sure hope someone was rolling tape on that one.

I had to give the edge in the first contest to Young Bill.
You were 60 over on the guess meter, Timmy was too close to count.

73 Bruce
W1IA

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 09:16:35 PM »

Quote from: Jim, W5JO
Sure like those tie point using wire nuts.  Better for RF or Audio?

Those are split bolts Jim. They make it easy to service. They are on the output of the PDM filter and connect the primaries to the RF deck. All are being used on the modulated DC input to the drains on the deck.

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
W2JBL

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 12:54:00 AM »

congrats on the new rig Brent, hope to hear you on it this weekend. glad to hear you strap, but i gotta warn all you "transistor set" guys- last weekend the very first (ever anywhere in the world!) clip leaded prototype CLASS E HARTLEY MODULATED OSCILATOR puked out RF for me into a dummy load. this is no joke- a CLASS E SBE RIG. after puking a handfull of fets i finally observed the class E waveform on the grid of the fet. efficiency was higher than any self excited oscillator i ever saw. the design is based on notes left by my father a few months before he went QRT but never prototyped. i hope to have a pissweaker class E self excited rig on the air soon. how about ten fets in a  push pull TPTG? or would that be TDTG...
this ain't no joke
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 10:26:11 AM »

Brent,

I heard you this past Sunday night while I was on vacation in Europe ...  About an S5 on a low 75m dipole.

Sam / KS2AM

--- Post No Bills ---
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 04:26:26 PM »

I love blowing up FETs.  Ive never had any fail in a spectacular manner, though.

How many dead soldiers did you end up with, Brent - heard you had a minor cat-asstrophe.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015