The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:59:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody modified a DY88 PS for 115VAC?  (Read 9124 times)
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« on: March 20, 2018, 03:43:08 PM »

I have 3 DY88 powersupplies for the AN/GRC9 and like to modify one for 115VAC, Less noise and easy to use instead of using a heavy 12 or 24VDC PS
Anyone did this before? Please ideas
KA3EKH

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 08:55:07 AM »

Would speculate that it will involve gutting the original contents and installing all new components. Saw several drawings for solid state AC power supplies so don’t think it will be a big problem with most of the work being involved with developing regulated filament voltages. To get the 120 volts for the receiver plate you can use a small isolation transformer or something I saw before where you have a transformer that develops 6.3 volts for the filaments and you also use that with a second filament transformer in reverse with the 6.3 volts AC connected to its secondary and using its primary to feed a rectifier and provide B+ for the receiver. The 580 volts for transmit may be another place where maybe you can use a second isolation transformer with two sets of windings or perhaps a voltage double for the transmitter.
Good to see someone doing this as opposed to the group that is off on some weird thing on how you cannot modify or change anything and it all has to be 100% original, myself would always look at building up functional power supplies and getting the radio on the air and n9ot interested in trying to build some pristine museum display. And it’s not like there is a shortage of GRC-9 stuff out there.

PA0NVD

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 10:01:11 AM »

I will have a look into the supply of transformers, maybe a problem and here in Costa Rica you can't buy this kind of stuff. I have a big supply of transistors and FET's and valves thought. Maybe I can find a low voltage transformer and stabilize the filament and 120 Volts to the correct values using semiconductors. That will be no problem. I can leave the filtering to avoid that RF enters the circuits.
Converters?
I have many small ferrite cores ED40, but these are sufficient for approx 100 Watts. 540VDC with 80 mA will be a challenge due to the voltage, not much winding room  and making a PCB here is difficult. So it will be better to use simple wiring.
The 540V is a problem. Little chance to find a suitable transformer. But, never knows
Perhaps a smaller one and use two FET's to generate HV at a higher frequency e.g.400 Hz from the rectified 115? Than I can use a smaller core for sufficient power. The RF filtering is already there, so that's no problem. I only have to change some caps to HV caps to let the 115VAC in.
When I have original sets, I don't like to modify permanently either, but I have 3 x DY88 powersupplies, so one can enter the new age of semiconductors.. Grin
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 06:39:35 AM »

You don't need a fancy high current  mil spec 12Vor 24V DC supply to run the DY88 and GRC-9 as is.  I have run my GRC-9/DY-88, WS-19, and TCS sets off of a 12 volt automotive or deep cycle marine service battery that is kept charged with the DY-88 or WS-19 /TCS dynos in operation with a  pair of cheap 12V 10 amp automotive battery chargers running in parallel.  The GRC-9  and DY-88  and WS-19 also seem to run fine with only a single charger.  There is a mil AC supply specifically for the GRC-9 but it is very pricey and heavy. 

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
PA0NVD

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 08:25:34 AM »

No, it is just the noise and the hassle Criss. I have all the mil stuff in my shack and I like to run them now and than. Than an AC supply is really more comfortable. And you can't get anything here in CR, most people don't ship to CR  And if you find something  shipment prices are prohibitive. In addition, if the customs like it, it will disappear. In my very first shipment they stole a 1790 rifle, an inheritance of my father  Cry a chain saw and a solar panel. A new shipment is like going to the flee market for them, but without paying.... So finding an original AC supply for the Angry nine is no option.
SM6OID

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 04:30:56 PM »

Hi!

Well, I understand your opinions about the DY-88 being a bit noisy.
I have a GRC-9 with DY-88 and the LV-80 amplifier, I can agree that it is not the most quiet radio that I've got.
The GY-88 sits under the desk, standing on some kind of foam rubber.
Not saying that it is dead quiet, but it's not too bad you know.

I can't help it but, I do enjoy radios with "motors".
Possibly I may change my mind, once I have my ART-13 with the dynamotor up and running... 
The rumor say's that it not quiet...
But the bearings are tip top and so are the collectors and brushes, so I hope for the best! 

RADIO: 51J-4, R-390A, SP-600 JX-21, BRT-400, Set No 19, T-47/ART-13, RF-590, SRT CR91, BC-312D, BC-348Q, HF-8020/8030/8010A/8090,  and much more...

ENGINE: Zvezda M50 F6L (V12), Rolls-Royce Meteor mk4B/2 (V12), Rolls-Royce B80 (inline 8 ) and much more
PA0NVD

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 05:33:13 PM »

Sofar I did run as well with the original DY88, and the whine and noise of the LV80 powersupply all together does hinder me a little after a while. In the field no problem, but in the shack...
I guess that the dynamotor of the ART13 may be worse, but a lot more quite than the beautiful engine in your avatar Grin
SM6OID

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 11:39:13 AM »

Hi!

Well, I find the noise from the LV80 power supply to be a bit disturbing.
I can live with the DY-88.

RADIO: 51J-4, R-390A, SP-600 JX-21, BRT-400, Set No 19, T-47/ART-13, RF-590, SRT CR91, BC-312D, BC-348Q, HF-8020/8030/8010A/8090,  and much more...

ENGINE: Zvezda M50 F6L (V12), Rolls-Royce Meteor mk4B/2 (V12), Rolls-Royce B80 (inline 8 ) and much more
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015