The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:13:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Current Stash of Mil Gear  (Read 12835 times)
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« on: March 18, 2018, 06:59:46 AM »

I guess I'll go first. I currently have only four pieces, one each 80M and 40M command set transmitters, a T-412/ART-13B, and a BC-342. The BC-342 has been recapped, repaired, and aligned, but it currently lives in a closet for lack of room to set it up.

The command transmitters are in storage awaiting attention at some far-off time in the future, and the ART-13 is waiting for me to finish the power supply construction, which hopefully will be within the next month or so. The ART-13 and BC-342 are actually my third examples of those units, having had, sold, and regretted selling their two predecessors. Right now I have only two other pieces in my sights: an R-390A  (I may have already found one) and a BC-610I like my dad operated in WW2. Although I eventually want to get a BC-610, I'm not actively looking for one, but if one became available reasonably nearby at less than the cost of a new car, I'd probably buy it now.

Thanx Steve, for setting up this forum. It'll provide interesting reading for sure.

So much stuff, yet so little room!

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 01:24:55 PM »

Nice little collection of goodies, Steve. 342s are a little on the scarce side. If you're willing to travel a bit, you might find a 610 pretty reasonably. Though the I model night be tougher. I like D and earlier models with the extra 'wing' meters ala HT-4.

Aside from my little GRR-5 green blob, a couple from the R-390 family and a few other receivers, I've confined my interest primarily to WWII aircraft gear to keep from getting buried in 'stuff'. Currently have a bunch of ARC-5 gear plus the earlier ARA/ATA versions, a 99.9% complete RU-16/GF-11 station, and the ATC (Navy version of ART-13) paired up with a set of the RAX-1 triplets. Only need one more RAX dynamotor to complete this station, spline cables for the RU receiver, and more than a few bits for the ARC-5/ARA/ATA stuff.

A couple shots of some of it at the previous location in NC. The RU/GF gear has been boxed up since the 2008 move unfortunately.

* Aircraft1.JPG (193.29 KB, 881x438 - viewed 1058 times.)

* Aircraft2.JPG (232.18 KB, 905x577 - viewed 1020 times.)

* Aircraft3.JPG (196.84 KB, 828x443 - viewed 1046 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 03:47:35 PM »

Thanks for setting up the Mil radio section. I have (2) ART-13, (3) BC-348, complete TCS setup with both P/S, ARC 5's, SP-600, SP-200 and a 390a.

PS And a SX-28.

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 07:49:22 PM »

Very nice stash of WW2 aircraft radios, Todd. BTW, I made a mistake in my BC-610 letter designation. I want the earlier, HT-4 style radio. I meant to say E or earlier.

Jim

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 03:36:18 PM »

Very nice stash of WW2 aircraft radios, Todd. BTW, I made a mistake in my BC-610 letter designation. I want the earlier, HT-4 style radio. I meant to say E or earlier.

Jim

Hello Jim, what you are looking for would be the model A thru D models with 4 meters and the tuning dial on them.

I never heard of anyone owning an A or B model. There are a few C & D models out there. I had a C model but sold it and now operate a D model. The only significant difference I can see with the C over the D model is the fact that all the fuses are mounted on the lower front where the C model had them out in the back on the modulator apron. If you ever seen any of those trucks that had all that stuff in a very small space, having the fuses in the back would have meant the total disassembly of the radio truck just to replace one fuse. Fuses will blow especially on a whip where the loading may be way off on the antenna. 

Lets see, you would be willing to pay half the cost of a new car for the right BC-610? A Bentley is around $450,000.00. I think we can get together on my 610?   Wink Wink

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 04:51:03 PM »

[/quote]
Hello Jim, what you are looking for would be the model A thru D models with 4 meters and the tuning dial on them.

I never heard of anyone owning an A or B model. There are a few C & D models out there. I had a C model but sold it and now operate a D model. The only significant difference I can see with the C over the D model is the fact that all the fuses are mounted on the lower front where the C model had them out in the back on the modulator apron. If you ever seen any of those trucks that had all that stuff in a very small space, having the fuses in the back would have meant the total disassembly of the radio truck just to replace one fuse. Fuses will blow especially on a whip where the loading may be way off on the antenna.  

Lets see, you would be willing to pay half the cost of a new car for the right BC-610? A Bentley is around $450,000.00. I think we can get together on my 610?   Wink Wink
[/quote]

Hi Terry:

Thanx for your input. Truth be told, I'm not certain of the specific model BC-610 my dad operated, but based on my recollections of conversations with him many years ago it was definitely not the later, flat-faced version. So I'd be happy with whatever I might find in the way of -E or earlier. And yes, I might be willing to pay half the price of a new car, so long as it's a Model A Ford. Again, I'm not actively looking, but that could change at any moment  Grin

af6im
Contributing

AF6IM jumping from a C54G, 1999 Quincy Illinois.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 03:33:25 PM »

My hoard includes ART 13, TCK, ATD, BC 375, BC 348, BC 312, ARR 15, R 390, R 390A, R 391 and R 392. Retiring on July 1, 2018. After then I will soon run out of excuses as to why so few of them are in tip top operating condition. The ARR 15 and all of the Collins R 39x series rcvrs do work. Also have ARN 6, ARN 7, BC 433 and ARN 59 ADFs. Looking for ARN 44 ADF rcvr and control box, both are RCAF modified ARN 6 gear.

Mark
AF6IM
W4EWH

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 01:11:22 PM »

Hi Terry:

... And yes, I might be willing to pay half the price of a new car, so long as it's a Model A Ford. Again, I'm not actively looking, but that could change at any moment  Grin

OM,

Be careful what you wish for ... https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/model-a/2102230.html

W4EWH

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 02:10:35 PM »

That is a real nice looking car but I wonder if when it was new, was it all black or did Ford start to jazz them out a bit then?

I think Chuck K1KW drives something similar ?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 03:20:36 PM »

I did say a "new" Model A, which when new in 1929 would have cost $1,200 for the top of the line model.🙄

KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 09:32:18 PM »

I did say a "new" Model A, which when new in 1929 would have cost $1,200 for the top of the line model.🙄
What cost $1200 in 1929 would cost $17,491.04 in 2017.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 10:16:49 PM »

What cost $1200 in 1929 would cost $17,491.04 in 2017.
True, but you couldn't buy a new Ford Model A in 2017 so the point is moot. The only relevant cost of a new Model A is $1,200 tops. So back to the point: I'll go $600 for a BC-610. Yeah, like I'll find a decent one for that!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015