The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:38:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: viking -1 help  (Read 2285 times)
n9ghe

« on: September 08, 2017, 09:54:18 AM »

Hi Viking-1 owners, I have a Viking-1 ser.num.383. It had all the TVI accessories in it.  It is housed in a silver wrinkle finish case. It looks all looks original even the paint. I replaced all the electrolytic caps. Replaced the 807 tubes that were missing.  Checked all the tubes. The 5r4 tubes were replaced by solid state rectifiers by some one else .All the rest of the tubes checked good but I could not check the 4d32 tube I have good audio and CW sound on another receiver. But I do not show RF on a watt meter on 7050 also nothing on my frequency counter  Used the viking-1 manual to tune the transmitter on 7050 40 meter but still no out put. All the voltages checked ok?Huh? RED N9GHE
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »

Hi RED...... Check and clean the roller inductor in the 40M area. If you see signs of arcing this may explain it. Using a insulated tool place a small bit of pressure on the tap wheel. The plate tuning should be in the 50 - 60ish range.

Do you have output on other bands?
n9ghe

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 10:06:47 AM »

hi wd8bil. I will try your sugeston. I have no out put on any bands it might be the 4d32 tube RED  N9GHE
N3GTE

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 08:43:59 PM »

Hey Red,
Do you have grid drive going to the 4D32?? I think it's abt 12ma. If so have a look at the bottom of the 4D32 plate choke to see if you have HV abt 600vdc. It would be out of the realm of possibility at your set my have a clamp tube. If so w/no drive you'll have no rf output. The later VII had this circuit incorporated in it.

Terry N3GTE
KU8L

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 12:37:32 PM »

Are you seeing plt current?  If there is a proper amount of plt current and it offers a dip while tuning, The power has to be going somewhere. 

Only problem I have had with mine was to learn to always begin the tuning process at the low end of the scales to avoid tuning to a harmonic..  If you hear it in a receiver, the drivers are at least working to a degree.  If they are producing grid drive, all except the finals should be OK.

Just for info, using a VFO or crystal?

Curt
KU8L
Viking 1/VF-1/NC-300 for my vintage setup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015