The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:01:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Is This? Sleuths needed...  (Read 6050 times)
N1BCG

« on: February 19, 2017, 03:43:06 PM »

This is a very long coil of heavy copper wire wound around a hollow fiberglass tube. Several series of triple tap loops are evenly spaced along the assembly.

If this was home-crafted then someone did very neat work.

Any thoughts? It looks unused...

* IMG_2009.JPG (2471.8 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 334 times.)

* IMG_2010.JPG (2485.4 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 325 times.)

* IMG_2011.JPG (2506.33 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 309 times.)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 04:16:03 PM »

I vote for a HB plate choke, tappable to work different bands.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 04:34:28 PM »

At five and one half feet, regularly spaced but three tapped at only segment ends, quite the mystery. Possibly a short for freq. , vertical antenna loading coil.  Note the slats under the windings, probably superfluous as if someone was slavishly trying to match a published diameter but only had undersized tube stock, or for cooling, or for approx. air wound  "Q."

. At any rate the wire size can carry many amps, not ma. So must have been for a loooong and big glass bottle if it's plate choke.  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 05:48:57 PM »

Maybe it's a primary tapped winding for a Telsa-like coil. The secondary winding would be wound on a smaller diameter stock with much finer wire and fits inside the primary tube. Rather then moving the primary coil and securing it at various locations along the secondary coil, everything remains stationary. To vary the amount of secondary output, you make your various connections up or down at the tap points.

Or maybe it's a tapped coil for a big-rig mobile antenna tuner.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 06:40:08 PM »

Looks like an inductor.

klc

What? Me worry?
KA2DZT

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 07:01:11 PM »

I think it's a garage door spring,  probably another one somewhere,  usually you need two.   Most likely some sort of loading coil for an antenna.
N1BCG

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 07:09:43 PM »

Most likely some sort of loading coil for an antenna.

That's the thinking that persuaded me to buy it. You know, one of those "I'll come up with a use for it on the way home" purchases. The XYL version is "I'll have to find a party to go to now that I have the perfect shoes".
N5DMC

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 10:49:16 PM »

The larger gauge wire will lend a wider response curve at the low SWR it was tuned for. Same deal with a dipole, driven element, ect. Or perhaps part of a still disguised as an antenna loading coil. Hi

Best
Doug
N5DMC
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 10:27:51 AM »

Hmm... did you measure the inductance?  I can think of one possibility - it _could_ be a PWM filter input inductor for a tube PWM.

I've would some, and there were tube PWM transmitters using large inductors as the input element to the filter.

Maybe not, but a possibility.  The inductance would be a strong indicator.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
N1BCG

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 11:55:43 AM »

Using a signal generator and a series resonance test circuit, it measures around 140 to 150 uH end to end (frequency and capacitor accuracy dependent)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 10:04:06 PM »

part of anode line for a distributed amplifier.

pulse forming network coil for radar or similar pulse modulator.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 12:50:37 AM »

I think that coil is just part of a network where two are needed to feed ac to a tower lighting system. That would be the reason for so many taps. You would select the correct amount of inductance depending on the frequency that was being transmitted. When you found the least amount of RF at the ac feed point, you had the correct inductance. Towers for AM are above DC ground in case there are some out there who are not aware of this, except for monopole configurations. Maybe that was not the original purpose but it could be used that way.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
N1BCG

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 09:16:29 AM »

pulse forming network coil for radar or similar pulse modulator.

One of the benefits of posting this kind of question is that it triggers all kinds of research not experienced since college daze.

I've got to go with the Pulse Forming Network answer for several reasons. First is the high length to diameter ratio for an inductor, allowing the large capacitors to be lined up along the coil. The second is the bunching of three taps at evenly spaced intervals, allowing the pulse duration to be adjusted.

That said, I still see it as a kick-butt antenna loading coil...
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 09:24:34 PM »

Sure looks like it but who can say?  Its geometry and appearance was familiar to me from hobby experience though I never messed with a radar powerful enough to require that large of a coil. It was some years ago but I still think it would be great to get some more hands-on that kind of gear. There is a great book on pulse forming networks and related topics. It's easy enough to read, yet detailed enough to experiment and design from. High-Power Electronics, March, 1989, by W. James Sarjeant (Author), R. E. Dollinger (Author)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N1BCG

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 09:39:24 PM »

... or it's a quadular magnetic paralysis-flux excursion controller for a potato launch system.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »

Really it's an audio delay line for echo phools.  Predates bucket brigade IC's by a half century.
Some listeners were way too picky about their phased arrival time golden ears, hence the tri-taps.
Best used with Western Electric theater amps. in small rooms.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015