The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:19:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3.885 is wide open tonight  (Read 8001 times)
kb3cbc

« on: January 12, 2017, 08:39:20 PM »

Using the website, http://n4dkd.asuscomm.com:8901, I can hear Washington, Ohio, Indiana, Nevada, and Minnesota at the moment.  Wide open.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:19:41 PM »

That web receiver is located in AL. Here in NJ at roughly the same time frame, nothing but static and occasional bursts of audio through the noise.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
kb3cbc

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:38:59 PM »

It looks like the window closed up around 9PM.  It was neat hearing the roundtable while the getting was good!

Is there still the late Friday night roundtable on 3885?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 11:19:40 PM »

It looks like the window closed up around 9PM.  It was neat hearing the roundtable while the getting was good!

Is there still the late Friday night roundtable on 3885?

What late night roundtable? Around the Northeast, it seems like everyone pulls up their sidewalk by 10 PM.

The only people strong on the SDR receiver you posted, was Jim, WD5JKO, and for a short time, W0LS. Couldn't hear either one of them on a real receiver here in NJ.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 10:04:14 AM »

The only people strong on the SDR receiver you posted, was Jim, WD5JKO, and for a short time, W0LS. Couldn't hear either one of them on a real receiver here in NJ.

Pete,

It is getting harder and harder to hear stations far away with an analog receiver. There are so many noise sources now that are man made, and pretty much everywhere. With my Flex3000 in receive, I can often bring in stations that are totally buried in the noise using either an icom R75, or and icom R8500. The difference is the noise reduction options on the Icom's seem to only be effective for a certain type of noise pulses. Their Noise blankers on the Icom's seem to be temperature sensitive; sometimes effective, and next day not.

Last night I used the R8500 for receive. Was able to copy Harry fairly well. He runs a 4-1 modulated by a pair of 4-.4's. That big signal my way did some nice noise suppression.

Going forward, and SDR receiver (either remote or in the shack) along with a BA transmitter will be what I will be using more and more.

Oh, BTW, PowerSDR 2.8.0 is now out from Darrin KE9NS for Flex 1500,3000,5000. This is a ground up install, no longer piled on top of Flex 2.7.2. Comes with a firmware upgrade, and will install .NET 4.5.2 if necessary.

Jim
Wd5JKO
kb3cbc

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 08:36:21 PM »

What late night roundtable? Around the Northeast, it seems like everyone pulls up their sidewalk by 10 PM.

Well, years ago I used to hang out in Frank's ham shack (a.k.a. Slab Bacon "Studio A") .  He was my Elmer and taught me most of what I know.  Most Friday nights from I'd say around 10pm through the wee hours of Saturday morning ET there'd be an AM roundtable somewhere between 3700-3890.  WA1HLR, WA3VJB, K1JJ, etc.

That is etched into my memory because we happened to be listening to the same thing while he was testing out his 4-1000A homebrew transmitter.  There I am, early Saturday morning, sandwiched in between the transmitter cabinet and the bench on a nice folding chair keeping Frank company.  The xmitter heated up the room quite nicely.  I'm toasty and half asleep, last I saw he was loading the 4x1 into a dummy load, and "BAM" something exploded.  Sounded like an M-80 going off next to me.  When I was fully awake apparently I had run around the corner in the next room and Frank was staring at me, laughing loudly, I mean a big belly laugh, and asking "What'd ya run away for?"  I don't recall the particulars of how it zorched over, but I think an SO-239 insulator blew apart, a blocking cap exploded, and maybe a circuit breaker popped too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015