The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:08:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/09: N1BCG's discussion on AM Activity  (Read 4943 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: January 10, 2017, 09:42:42 AM »

Last night, while trying to organize the shack, I was listening to a conversation that Clark N1BCG and a few other stations were having about an optimistic feeling that the ARRL has about AM activity. After all, what’s old becomes new – even vinyl is being rediscovered. Someone proposed creating a web site that could explain the “AM Fundamentals” for the AM newbies – a great idea – perhaps doable by just adding a section on this site?

So at about 3 AM while trying to fall asleep I got an idea. Would the ARRL be interested in having a monthly “AM Column”? Maybe a station of the month with a photo (WA1HLR could be the 1st featured!). Content could be a collaboration of people who participate on this site. We could even introduce the “E rigs” into the AM forum.

Since Clark already has the ARRL’s attention, he might be the best person to propose it.

Thoughts?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »

AM already has on a presence on the ARRL web site with dialog and pictures. There's probably no reason additional information couldn't be added to it.
http://www.arrl.org/am-phone-operating-and-activities

If you're really talking about a monthly column in QST dedicated to "AM", that probably wouldn't fly. Years ago, QST and other magazines had dedicated columns for specific modes and activities like SSB, QRP, RTTY, and even a Novice column (to engage new hams). All of these are pretty much gone. Print pages are expensive. To add 1 page, you have to add 7 more with filler. To add a monthly "AM Column" would really not address the majority of the main readership. However, there's no stopping someone from penning an article for QST on say the "Fundamentals of AM" but I would guess the majority of the readership probably wouldn't give it a second glance but you never know. Going monthly, filler would be a big challenge for any author.

There is also a monthly "Classic Radio" column where the "good old days" of radio and AM can also be penned. Although we all have a great love for the AM mode and operating AM, the ARRL has to put their arms around all the modes and operating activities and not highlight one, that in the overall amateur population, would still be considered in the minority or a "specialized" mode.

Below is a screenshot of the current QST monthly columns.

* qst-columns.jpg (121.77 KB, 1195x811 - viewed 319 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB3WFV

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »

Hi Robert

I heard that entire QSO last night. It was encouraging to hear the comments from Clark N1BCG, Wally W1JDR, Blaine N1GTU, and Phil W2PHL. I agree the ARRL has expressed an interest in AM and there is a need for fundamental education. The league has indicated an interest in supporting AM events that educate users about the mode.

I have been working on a special event and (on my own) the education part for the past several weeks. It was surprising to hear the QSO last night. It was almost as if I was listening to myself.

Here is a link to a beta version of an AM educational web site...

http://kb3wfv.weebly.com/

The "learn more" buttons/links are not functioning yet, but you can get the idea.

A monthly column in QST is a great idea and the ARRL may be receptive. If not a monthly article, perhaps a feature piece? This could be put together in a package with the special event proposal and the education website and presented to the ARRL.

The web site still needs a lot of work, I would like to include demonstration videos that can be easily shared on the internet. I encourage folks to take a look at the beta web page and offer their input. It would be nice to put together a group to help build out the content, considering themselves as an electronic or web based Elmer to new AMers.

Anyone interested in participating in an AM special event that would attract the interest of the ARRL speak up now since these take a long time to properly promote.

Brian
 KB3WFV  

Last night, while trying to organize the shack, I was listening to a conversation that Clark N1BCG and a few other stations were having about an optimistic feeling that the ARRL has about AM activity. After all, what’s old becomes new – even vinyl is being rediscovered. Someone proposed creating a web site that could explain the “AM Fundamentals” for the AM newbies – a great idea – perhaps doable by just adding a section on this site?

So at about 3 AM while trying to fall asleep I got an idea. Would the ARRL be interested in having a monthly “AM Column”? Maybe a station of the month with a photo (WA1HLR could be the 1st featured!). Content could be a collaboration of people who participate on this site. We could even introduce the “E rigs” into the AM forum.

Since Clark already has the ARRL’s attention, he might be the best person to propose it.

Thoughts?

N1BCG

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 04:29:30 PM »

The role of the ARRL is to represent the interests of amateur radio operators by addressing challenges that threaten to diminish the hobby and by enhancing the enjoyment of the hobby through a variety of educational events and services. The more support The League has among amateurs, the more effective it will be in its role. However, it has been widely felt among AM enthusiasts that for many years their interests were not a priority, thus impacting membership and the League's effectiveness.

Fortunately, there have been clear indications that this issue is being addressed with the inclusion of an AM station in the 1BCG event back in December and the conversion of the 40M ARRL Bulletin on 7290 from SSB to AM. Both of these were directed by the new leadership at the ARRL and I anticipate much more AM inclusion going forward. It has also been made clear that while this may be seen as a form of "AM Renaissance", it is merely putting AM back on par with, but not at the expense of, all the other modes the League represents.

Stronger and more balanced representation is a benefit of all amateurs regardless of the bands or modes we enjoy.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 08:29:07 PM »

Slightly off topic BUT -

You know you're an old buzzard when you get your QST and you first open to the Silent Keys, HI.

Happy New Year.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 10:18:23 AM »

Slightly off topic BUT -

You know you're an old buzzard when you get your QST and you first open to the Silent Keys, HI.

Happy New Year.
You know, I used to laugh at my Mom when she did that with the local newspaper. Now, I do this with QST and sadly I'm seeing some old friends. Not worrying, as long as I'm not seeing my name!
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 11:13:14 AM »

So at about 3 AM while trying to fall asleep I got an idea. Would the ARRL be interested in having a monthly “AM Column”?
Thoughts?

First the positive:  Its good that it appears that the League is not shunting AM and that is a step in the right direction. 

Now the negative:  Does QST have a column for CW, SSB, PSK or whatever?  I don't think so.  In reality we are just another mode and like the other modes, it attracts those that enjoy operating them.  Our special interest in AM is not that much different that some of the other special interest groups within our hobby. 

So be glad that they are moving in the direction of more awareness concerning AM, but I would not look for any special treatment. 

Joe-W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 12:00:17 PM »

These types of discussions about AM are always good and usually produce positive results.

There are a few "mega-trends" that favor AM...

One is that the bands are almost empty at night compared to 30-40 years ago. Years ago there were huge SSB/AM wars mostly due to claimed band-space, crowding and splatter. (what else?)  Today most of the aggressive groups on ssb are gone.  There are less letters written to the FCC and less complaints to the ARRL about AM as a result.  AM can flourish without friction.  The phone band allocations have greatly increased. Room for everyone now.

Two, the average AMer is much older than years ago and as a result, general behavior has improved. The nights of out-of-control, on-air parties are gone. For those of us who remember, AM was wild and crazy, even on weekdays. This makes it easier now for the ARRL to align itself with AM without  criticism from the "straight majority."

Three, financially, the ARRL is surely aware that to insure their pensions and longevity, they need every ham they can get to support them. AMers are now welcomed more than ever.  Active hams appear to be on the decline. Inactive hams usually do not send in dues.

Four, AM has always attracted very technically oriented people - and is one of the few remaining facets where vintage gear and restoration and home-brewing skills are spotlighted.  The ARRL has always been heritage-oriented and promotes its history. The AM group personifies this well and it would be in their legacy interest to align with AMers.  

There's more, but in general, an AMer can hold his head high and be proud to say he's an AM enthusiast. One can say that we have finally arrived... it took some time, but AM is now more accepted in the ham community than since the 1960's when SSB took over mainstream voice communications.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »

In the "Learn More" areas you might want to use existing YouTube videos. A lot less work for you and the video is much easier to understand.

Hi Robert

I have been working on a special event and (on my own) the education part for the past several weeks. It was surprising to hear the QSO last night. It was almost as if I was listening to myself.

Here is a link to a beta version of an AM educational web site...

http://kb3wfv.weebly.com/

Thoughts?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015