The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:24:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heavy Metal??  (Read 23657 times)
VE7 Kilohertz

« on: December 25, 2016, 03:54:16 PM »

HI boys,

I have been off the air for the last year or so...completely out of touch..I have searched all over the site and find no mention of heavy metal rally for this year? Is it still an event?

Anybody share some details?

Merry Christmas

Paul

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 04:39:38 PM »

good question, Paul. I too, could not find any info.  

If it hasn't been established, I say let's go for this Friday evening (0000z) in to Saturday (or Sunday) evening (0000z). Keep it informal, no logging necessary. Have fun.  Granted 75m has sucked as of late but why not make a go  of it? With the poor band conditions, many can spread out so to speak. A 75m free for all.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA4JK

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 05:02:48 PM »

Nothing posted on ER MAG.
It is my opinion only that one of the big AM groups, either the East Coast, Southeast Am, or Midwest groups will need to take this event over and rebirth it on a suitable date to get it going again. My preference would be to kick off the new year with it. 31st into the 1st. Make that a fixed date and have some fun with the new year.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 07:18:57 PM »

E.R. Editor's Comments, November 2016:

"Heavy Metal Rally
With only one comment received in response to my request in the October issue, I do not have a date scheduled for the AM event at this time. From the enthusiastic activity of recent years, I'd thought the Heavy Metal Rally was important to AM operators."

Obviously, AM operators who are E.R. subscribers, must not view it as important to even comment to Ray.

Does one really need a specific date to power up their 1 or 2 ton floor mounted, wall-to-wall, rig  Huh

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 10:02:43 PM »

It doesn't seem to have been heavily promoted in the last few years......

but,

2017 AWA Amplitude Modulation QSO Party

Date: Sat. Feb. 11 @ 2300 GMT to Sun. Feb. 12 2300 GMT

Bands: 160, 80, 40 and 20 Meters

http://www.antiquewireless.org/awa-on-the-air.html

be there or be square wave.

klc

What? Me worry?
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 06:52:19 AM »

Seems It hasn't really been popular here since the halcyon days when wa3vjb promoted getting and listing all the 1x1 HMR special event calls corresponding to regular call signs. He and a couple of other gangstas were the cheer leaders for a great event. I picked W8R in those years.
Least I could do since moving to WVa with a three land moniker.  Grin

Also several of the big cheer leaders have passed on.  Time moves on, I suppose.
I agree with Pete, if you have a big rig, fire it up. Call up all your Buds.

Possibly another event superceeded with everyone having their face in an iPhone these days?  We're antiquarians for even using email for that matter.  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 01:35:48 PM »

Here are two past AMfone threads on the KD0HG Heavy Metal Rally:

From 2014: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=37480.0

From 2006: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=9284.0

It would be nice, if you get on and make some heavy metal noise, to pass your on the air experiences to Ray, at Electric Radio.

Also, for those that like to "dit dit", the annual Straight Key Night is held every January 1 from 0000 UTC through 2359 UTC.

There really is only one requirement for any of these activities and that's to get in front of the rig(s) and get on the air. A glass in one hand is optional and not a requirement.  Grin

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 06:31:44 PM »

The _original_ concept of the Heavy Metal rally was outstanding!  Definition of heavy metal: 250 watts and/or 250 pounds.  For those who wanted to have a little sport (aka, a "contest"), 1 point per contact on each band and 1 point per state.  It brought out everyone.  There was lots of participation.  All sorts of rigs of all shapes, configurations, sizes, power level and - yes - weight !

Bring back THAT event just as it is stated and it will be successful.

I will gladly supply the logging software and back end for those who want to submit logs.  Paper is also acceptable.  Maybe Brad is also interested in being part of it - don't know.

Regards,  Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 07:29:54 PM »

Maybe Brad is also interested in being part of it - don't know.

Regards,  Steve

Who's Brad?

WA4JK

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 11:15:35 PM »

WA4JK
WA4JK
Ham Member

Ok let me make a run at a fixed date for this year and we might want to touch base with Ray at er mag. I'll do that.
As far as I can determine January 28th and 29th is open for a contest .
I'm proposing we run from 12 noon cst the 28th to 12 noon cst the 29th
Operators post here QRZ AM forum
Name:
Callsign:
Transmitter details:
Number of contacts:
Bands operated.
We do have to ensure Ray is not printing something in ER.
I need a second and third and as many as will to give this a thumbs up and then will advertise it hard.
Would there be support for this from you guys.
I would want to move it next year to Dec31st 6am to Jan 1st  6am cst
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 01:00:37 AM »

Why push it out a month...historically it's been in December, seems we have an interest now, let's jump on it....how about this weekend, or next weekend the 7th and 8th at the latest?

I remember when it was right at Christmas, rushing home after dinner to get everything warmed up for the night...working coast to coast, like QIX said, 250 lbs or 250 Watts, ahh the good 'ol days.

Look forward to working some east coast....let's hope the bands are in good spirits on the chosen night.

Paul

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 12:30:54 PM »

I'm guilty of dropping the ball here to some extent. It's been a while since I spoke with Ray, but recalled he was approaching the point of ending the HMR due to the apparent lack of interest and/or participation. This past spring sometime I discussed it with Steve/K4HX and we agreed that it would be great if AMfone took over sponsoring and running the event in Bill's honor if Ray agreed with it. KD0HG was a longtime moderator here, perhaps from the inception of the site, and many of us enjoyed working him when his booming baritone voice appeared on the bands at night.

I had intended to discuss this with Ray months ago in time for this year's event, but got sidetracked by life. First by a move from NC to northern VA and all its incidentals, then by a second floor shower leak that caused a fair amount of damage, then the ensuing insurance and contractor issues which still aren't completely resolved. Also dealing with the NC house sale, vehicle registrations, titles, etc etc.

Then in November my dad passed away somewhat suddenly, which added much more to the mix than I was prepared to deal with. In short, it hasn't been a stellar year on this end.

I'm currently awaiting a call back from Ray, though he may very well be away for the holidays and not respond for a while. Therefore, I think Paul & Pete's suggestions are best: Get on the air this weekend, fill up the bands, make some noise. Even if it's not "official", it would be in the spirit that Bill intended: big AM signals with pleasing audio celebrating the big tube rigs of the past.

One thing to keep in mind - Bill's intention was never to create a contest, but rather an operating event. So don't let the lack of 'points' or other recognition stop you. He often referred to the term Rally and compared it to a motorcycle rally, where you had your Harleys and Hondas, along with a few Triumphs, Nortons, and other bikes mixed in. It was intended to be all about waking up those wonderful old big tube rigs of the past and getting them back on the air, not racking up points or winning. That was merely a way to hopefully increase activity but ended up detracting from the event more over time.

If you can get on, try to avoid a 'window' mentality. Use whatever frequencies your license class allows. Spread out, occupy many spots on the dial and hop around from group to group. This not only avoids the massive roundtable QSOs with 25 or more people waiting for a chance to talk, it also presents a lot of AM signals for folks to find and hear around the bands. In the past we've had 8-10 or more groups on 75/80m alone, not as many on other bands. While 40/80/160 seem draw the most attention, 10/15/20 have seen good activity in the past when conditions allowed.

You still have another day+ to get ready. Dust off the old broadcast transmitter or military rig, warm up the filaments to chase out the critters, then get on the air and have some fun. 'Tis the season.  

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA4JK

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 12:45:37 PM »

Todd has posted a response to our idea and I think we have some conflict to ownership. If Amfone would like to be the sponsor and have it this New Year's Eve. If I read it correctly they also would like to return to the 250w/250lb idea. Then get after it and get it advertised. I mearly did this because it looked dead and gone. Please let me know your decision today and I'll fall in line with the consensus.
I'm not going to get into a contest over who owns what with the Amfone group or the criteria.
Maybe some of you who know them personally can discuss this and get it resolved.
WA4JK

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 01:30:45 PM »

Just received from Ray
Hi Jerry,
With Christmas on the weekend there was no evening between Christmas and New
Year's day that we could use. In the past I've had plenty of complaints
about the traditional date for the Rally and I asked--twice-- for suggestions in ER
about when everyone would like to have it. I got no response and assumed
there was no interest.

I'll announce in the January issue that it will be February 4th, a Saturday.
I'm sure someone will complain about that but I think it's the best
alternative.

Ray Osterwald, NØDMS
Electric Radio Magazine
Ray@ERmag.com
720-924-0171

Done and final
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 02:34:10 PM »

I'll announce in the January issue that it will be February 4th, a Saturday.

Sounds good to me...... but then again what do I know?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 02:47:38 PM »

I think you missed the point, Jerry - it's not about ownership, it's about preservation. Preserving the event and encouraging participation. When Steve and I talked about the possibility of AMfone taking on the event, it was in response to what seemed then the likelihood of Ray discontinuing it from a lack of interest - perceived or otherwise. Neither of us and I don't think most members here would care about who gets credit so long as the event lives on. There are other avenues and places, online and off, for those who need that kind of attention. Here at 'fone the focus is only on the preservation, promotion, and actual operation of AM on the amateur bands.

It's reassuring at least to see that Ray has decided to continue the event, regardless of when. I'm sure that Bill/KD0HG, the only real 'owner' of the event (or more accurately, of the idea) would be pleased. Ownership really resides with those who make the event a viable one through participation.

I hope that folks out there will fire up their big iron in memory of Bill on this traditional weekend for the Heavy Metal Rally. Then again, every weekend should be a Heavy Metal weekend. Make some noise, have some fun.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 02:55:04 PM »

I will be on this weekend. I just dragged a 180 pound power supply for the 813 rig  over to the operating area. It didn't seem that heavy back in 1993 when I got it. Doesn't look like there's any major contests going on Feb 4th (unless the Vermont QSO party tweaks your pleasure) so that date should work.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 02:59:13 PM »

That was the original weekend for the QIX AM Transmitter event, but it's changed weekends almost as many times as the HMR.  Wink

I just dragged a 180 pound power supply for the 813 rig  over to the operating area. It didn't seem that heavy back in 1993 when I got it.

Isn't that the truth! Been going through that for the last few months moving stuff north and trying to get it situated here. It's all gained a few pounds, I swear....

WA4JK

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 05:30:35 PM »

This has been approved and we would enjoy hearing everyone on the air for a good time. Then we'll do it up for Heavy Metal Night as well.
So here's what I'm proposing on behalf of the AM Fan's Forum

"Tall Ships in the Night"Starts Dec. 31st @ 1200 cst and ends Jan.1st @0600cst

Object it to fire up you best Am transmitter and gather around the Glow with your local Am'ers and any new joins.

But since it's "Tall Ships in the Night" Tall ships travel the farthest, so in keeping with that see if you can do the East to West coast or Far north to far south. But who can do from Far north Canada to Far South America? or from Across the Pond either warm water or Cold sea.

Now I know anyone can claim they did the impossible.

So you must have two or more witness agree to the "Tall Ships in the Night" contact. Your going to have to work for it friends

What to Post in this Thread

Operator Name

Call sign

Transmitter Details

Number of Contacts

Bands Operated

"Tall Ships in the Night" Contact.

From Operator Location to End Contact location.

Witnesses: As a witness you must post in this thread you attest to the contact.

You do not have to have a "Tall Ships in the Night" contact posted to post or gather.

Let the Big Tubes Glow and the AM Roll.

Please let me know if you can support this and if so please send it out over social networks and let make this happen. I intend to make this an annual event for the folks here in this forum and anyone else who wishes to join in and as time passes we will modify this gathering on the air.
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »

There was a lot of activity here on the West Coast last year, I got on with my T-368 and SP-600. I'll try to do some operating this weekend, the T-368 is down but the ART-13 lives!! I also just got a Super Senior going, not heavy metal but power if I need it.

The first weekend of February I'll be busy but that is how it goes, maybe next year!!
WB9IFE

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 06:48:23 PM »

Hello All AMers,

I say - go for it!  I just fired up.  I don't qualify for 250 lbs+ (yet)anyway and only
running 125 watts right now.  I weigh in at about 167 lbs. I believe with both my TX and RX.

I warmed up the rig with a contact with KC3OL (Ted) in Kansas.  Glad to get out about 700 miles, so far.

December 31st starts in about 20 mins UTC.  See you on the air!!!

WB9IFE - Chuck
P.S. - found the rules on a December 23, 2006 posting.  Just use those.

Here's what I found:

Title: Heavy Metal Rally!!! Fire up!!!
Post by: W2INR on December 23, 2006, 12:06:08 PM

The annual Heavy Metal Rally will be held this year on Saturday, December 30.

As in years past, this is not a traditional Ham radio call sign echo. Although the Heavy Metal Rally was originally intended to include only big tube-type equipment, now it is a night for friendly AM QSOs, and is open to anyone using restored broadcast, military, homebrew, any commercial ham gear meeting the requirements, i.e. Johnson Invader 2000, Viking Desk KW, Globe King 500, Collins KW-1, etc. and big solid state Class-E equipment. This includes using a solid-state exciter as long as the PA is Heavy Metal, such as a 300 pound Henry 8K! I want as much participation in the rally as possible. Obviously, we would all like to work as much tube-type Heavy Metal as possible, and a point advantage is given to tube equipment.

Suggested Frequencies: 1885 Kc east of Mississippi, 1915 Kc West; 3830 Kc, 3870-3890 Kc, nationwide, 7290 Kc.

The rules for this year’s Heavy Metal Rally are nearly same as in years past.

Scoring: You get 1 point per contact on each different band. If you work the same station on both 80 and 160 it counts for two points. You get 1 additional point per contact if you are using all tube-type heavy metal. 1 point for each different state worked. 1 point for each letter or email received from Hams or SWLs with positive comments about a station’s signal or sound quality. So, if someone works 20 stations in 10 different states with a tube rig, the score is: 20 contacts + 10 states + 20 tube points = 40.

If two emails are received complaining that “KØXYZ” broke their S-meters but sounded darn good doing it, that’s 32 points total.

The winner should be running a rig weighing 250 pounds or running at least 250 watts. This includes big homebrew, military, and vintage commercial Ham gear, and Class E solid state rigs as long as they meet the qualifications. For example, some vintage Navy rigs weighed in at over 300 pounds, but only produced 100 watts of carrier—that’s still Heavy Metal! (The “or” statement is intended as an illustration, and should not be misread as an intent to keep someone out.)

You can’t win unless you’re running a Heavy Metal rig—NO exceptions!

This is Heavy Metal night! Everyone is welcome to participate with smaller rigs, but the winner needs to be using Heavy Metal.

Completed logs should be sent by email to Ray@ERmag.com or by US mail to the Electric Radio address printed inside the rear cover. Please have your point totals calculated when you send in your log, and be sure to mention the equipment used during the rally.

The winning top scorer this year will receive the Heavy Metal trophy, a donation by Gary Halverson (K6GLH). The Electric Radio 2006 Heavy Metal Rally trophy is a handsome oak plaque with a cosmetically perfect RCA 833A mounted with porcelain E.F. Johnson 833 filament mount, while matching heat-dissipating plate terminal leads secure the top. This exquisite piece was custom made by the late Vern Dawson, K6RRC. An engraved plate with name and callsign will be affixed to plaque to complete this beautiful addition to the lucky winner’s ham shack.

WA4JK

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 08:21:12 PM »

Heavy Metal Rally is on February.4th
Tall Ships in the Night is on this December 31st starting at 1200cst until 0600 January 1st cst.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 09:03:48 PM »

Participation dropped off dramatically when the concept of "tube points" was added to prevent more than half the AM community from winning.  That was (and is) a real shame.  Eliminate that and the event actually has a good chance.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 10:02:32 PM »

Not really Steve, when you consider the original intent of the HMR: to be an AM operating event honoring and encouraging the use of old tube transmitters from the past, not a contest. I'd bet as many or more people complained about the points system or even keeping a log. They just wanted to get on and operate.

Better still would be to eliminate points all together. Issue certificates, a simple prize base on people's choice for xyz, whatever. Reward the folks who put on the gear and have lengthy contacts with multiple stations and not the brief '59/59' type of thing that comes about when you need another state, multiplier, whatever. Give an award to the most interesting or oldest transmitter.

Having spoken with Bill, Barry, and Ray about it in the past, I certainly didn't envy them. Bill came up with a great idea, and over time Barry and then Ray had to deal with the disenchanted few who didn't like this or that or wanted this changed to suit their interest, blah blah. The age of 'everyone gets a trophy', guess it was inevitable. Bill thought folks would grasp the concept, instead they looked for ways around the few rules that existed or tried to claim they were being excluded, which was never true. It was just an event focused on big, plate modulated rigs - you could operated whatever you wanted that made AM.

I agree with you, though - the constant changes trying to please everyone along with moving the date repeatedly will kill any event. Plenty of formerly great hamfests demonstrated this.

kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 12:42:50 AM »

Participation dropped off dramatically when the concept of "tube points" was added to prevent more than half the AM community from winning.  That was (and is) a real shame.  Eliminate that and the event actually has a good chance.

I would bet that what keeps most people from participating even if they have tube gear is the whole idea of having to have gear that weighs 250+ pounds or runs 250+ watts, that would include all the guys out there running Valiants, Vikings, Rangers, Apaches, DX-100s, 32Vs, etc. that would definitely qualify for the tube points but wouldn't even be considered because these rigs don't meet the 250 pound/250 watt rule. I hear just as many or more of these rigs on the air than I do class D or E rigs or even riceboxes, and over time I hear less and less heavy metal on the air. Honestly, that's probably the true reason why participation has dropped off, not because of "tube points" or any other excuse, is because the guys that run the heavy stuff are just not around or as active anymore. The hobby is changing and more and more I hear new vocies coming on the air running riceboxes and SDRs at first, and some of these guys later on might get a Johnson or a Collins or a Heatkit to use on the air, but that's about it. Not everyone is going out and seeking BC-610s, T-368s, KW-1s, Collins/Gates/RCA broadcast rigs, Globe King 500s, Johnson Desk KWs, WWII Navy TDE/TCK/TBL/TBM rigs (my personal favorites), etc. to use on the air, and not everyone wants to build a transmitter (tube or solid state) to put on the air.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015