The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:16:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Analyzer Recomendations  (Read 5932 times)
W6TOM
Contributing

« on: December 24, 2016, 11:07:32 PM »

I have a MFJ-259 antenna analyzer, I'm thinking about getting something with more versatility, I want to cover the HF bands, coverage of 6 and 2 meters would be nice but not required. I want something that is stand alone for easy use in the field but would also like  to be able to save the data to a file for later reference.

The MFJ-259 has a number of things I don't like, the frequency adjustment is very course and this is a piece of equipment I don't use that often so I don't want to leave the batteries in it, to remove the batteries you need to take the chassis apart !!! (WTF???)

The RigExpert looks good, what are you using???
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 03:16:13 AM »

hi Tom
      I am in the same boat, that is looking for a better instrument.  I had a Autek Research RF Analyst model
RF-1 from many years ago.  Pocket sized unit, I could do everything with that unit.  it no longer works right, have no
idea if they are still in business. 

I have a mfj-259 swr analyzer, it provides no Xl or Xc does have xl composite.
its good for mobile or dipole tuneup.  Also have a mfj-202b rx noise bridge. it was pretty good when
I was winding mobile coils, I added a jack for more precise measurements.

I just sold a 8 element HB 2 meter beam I'd bought years ago (never used sigh) to a guy who brought up
the mfj-259c. higher frequency unit.  it rang out my old antenna as right on, and sold it to him - happy camper.

I'm thinking of the rig expert AA-30. I have put in the bases for 2 more 75mtr verticals, that will  be
spaced 1/2 wave from a current pair I have up.  I'll need some more precise measurements!

73 dean

am forever!
KJ4OLL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 07:05:18 AM »

I really like this one, run the software on a laptop.

https://www.arraysolutions.com/aim-4300

Looks like they have updated so the software works with a tablet too!
W1ITT

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 08:29:43 AM »

The Array Solutions AIM series is hard to beat.  I have the 2180, which is a 2-port analyzer.  I bought mine at about $1700, but they recently dropped the price to about $1K.  Mine has been all over the world with me and earns it keep every time.  The Array Solutions series has enough source power to get the job done in RF rich environments.  Look for +6 to +10 dbm or so to get into the sweet spot.  Some of the units from other suppliers barely make -10dbm.
A friend has an MFJ-226, and it's really not a  bad rig for $340.  The good thing is that it's not actually made by MFJ, but labeled offshore for them.  Again, it has decent source power, resolves the sign of reactance and displays a Smith chart, and fits in the pocket of your tuxedo. 
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 09:18:04 AM »

Rig Expert at DX engineering. Very nice, reasonable analyzer $400. Gives a Smith Chart display too.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/reu-aa-55zoom

Bought one the other day...nice device...At least I can see what to do with a reactance to get the antenna to be more effecient.

Fred KC4MOP
w9ac
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 09:35:53 AM »

For the last four years, I've been using the VNA2180, N2PK, and most recently, the RigExpert AA-230 Zoom.  If S11 single-port measurements are all you need, then have a look at the AIM series, or either the AA-230 Zoom or the new AA-55 Zoom.  Both RigExpert units are great in the field and are self-powered.  The color screens have excellent resolution and don't wash-out in the sun.  All three are capable of OSL calibration. 

The RigExpert 230 and AIM will make precise cable TDR measurements.  The 55's cable measurements are not as accurate due to the unit's maximum frequency limitation. 

One benefit of the 55 is it's high output power -- helpful on 160m in the presence of AM broadcast stations when making measurements on over-resonated antennas, like a Marconi T.

Paul, W9AC 

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 02:39:47 PM »

Um Portable? I use this...

* b250a1.JPG (111.66 KB, 1052x496 - viewed 300 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 04:47:06 PM »

Mine is just about as portable.  Works well, but lacks a USB interface.

* rx250.jpg (57.09 KB, 878x439 - viewed 302 times.)

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
W6MQI

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 09:38:51 PM »

I have a Rig Expert AA-200 I really really want to like this analyzer BUT!  When using the AA-200 in "ALL" mode to try and make inductance, capacitance, or impedance measurements it's so jittery when I stop the analyzer to view a measurement it gives a completely different reading every time, and I don't mean a just few ohms or Pf's I'm talking thousands of ohms or Pf's. The AA-200 is a very expensive relatively useless  piece of gear I sure hope they have fixed this issue on the newer models. This problem came up on the Rig Expert Yahoo group other people were having the same problem it wasn't long after the Yahoo group was shut down.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 09:58:39 PM »

Put my AA 55 Zoom to the test, and it gave me a more accurate indication of a proper RF load for my sensitive SS amp. ALS 600. Kept tripping out on a mag loop antenna, tuned for 3.788. MFJ 269 said it was pretty close to lowest SWR and 50 ohms.
THIS Mag loop antenna is designed and has been used from 3.6 mhz to the edge of 20m with full QRO power. Using a HUGE vac variable and tiny motor for remote tuning.
Design by K8NDS, Rich, has not been well accepted. Helically wound magnetic loop antenna.

http://www.hlmagneticloopantennas.com/

I have had QSO's with Australia on 20M using this monster and 600w
Back to the analyzer story:
RigExpert helped me tune a better match and the SS amp very happy.
The Smith Chart mode was confusing to me. I'm still in a steep learning curve to understand the read-out.

Fred KC4MOP
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 10:06:49 AM »

Um Portable? I use this...
The largest response of 250 users I've ever seen.   I've been thinking I'm all alone, what a relief.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015