The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:24:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W1AW 40 M Bulletin: 7290 AM  (Read 24294 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 10:19:33 PM »

I prefer them on AM for the simple reason that common SWLers can hear it more easily. AM is harder to receive sometimes and a change to a somewhat less-used and or  less-jammed-by-foreign-SWBC frequency should be considered in my opinion. I am pleased enough with it and the ARRL though.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 10:58:37 PM »

Geez! They had to repair it?? Whoa...
... I hope that the poor little Valiant did not need much therapy in order to overcome the effects
of all that operating stress!?!    Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 02:54:29 AM »

I prefer them on AM for the simple reason that common SWLers can hear it more easily. AM is harder to receive sometimes and a change to a somewhat less-used and or  less-jammed-by-foreign-SWBC frequency should be considered in my opinion. I am pleased enough with it and the ARRL though.

It's good that they transmit the bulletins on multiple frequencies. When conditions or QRM are poor on one frequency you have other choices.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2016, 02:59:14 AM »

Geez! They had to repair it?? Whoa...
... I hope that the poor little Valiant did not need much therapy in order to overcome the effects
of all that operating stress!?!    Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

It generally doesn't take much Valiant operating stress to exit smoke but that's a discussion for another thread.

N1BCG

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2016, 04:32:02 PM »

I actually remembered to tune in to 7290 last night (pats self on back, awards participation trophy, etc) but I didn't hear anything. Granted, I was listening on a portable and/or conditions may not have permitted reception at 64 miles. Either way, the frequency at 9:45 (EST) was pretty clear.

If I were a ham worth the salt on a margarita glass I'd move to a QTH of practical propagational probability!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 05:25:54 PM »

I actually remembered to tune in to 7290 last night (pats self on back, awards participation trophy, etc) but I didn't hear anything. Granted, I was listening on a portable and/or conditions may not have permitted reception at 64 miles. Either way, the frequency at 9:45 (EST) was pretty clear.

If I were a ham worth the salt on a margarita glass I'd move to a QTH of practical propagational probability!
It might be easier just to pick a different frequency to listen. Also, the AM switch-over doesn't happen until 2017. I suspect you were too close at that time of the night to hear them on 7290 in any mode.

W1RFI

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 03:49:28 PM »

Hi. Let me just chime in with a few details here that may be helpful.

I like the thought that on the 40-meter band, the W1AW bulletins will be on full-carrier, double-sideband AM.  This is not only in keeping with the traditional use of 7290 kHz for AM operation, but it will also reach out to a few SWLs that may run across Amateur Radio when tuning the 40-meter band for BC stations.

I saw a comment or two that suggested that hams who want to operate AM from W1AW would not be able to do so. That is not true, and when guest operators are here, it is the guest op, not the station op, that determines what mode, band, etc.  AM is most welcome, although it may be with one of the high-end multi-mode transceivers that are at W1AW.   There have been darn few hams, though, that have wanted to operate AM from W1AW, but maybe that is because they read somewhere that AM operation is discouraged. If you want to show up at HQ and operate AM, Mon-Friday, during most of the day.

The vintage station at W1AW was not used more than once or twice, so the ARRL Lab guys took it to the "vintage display" area in the ARRL Lab and set it up as a complete station. It's a nice Valiant and NC-303, donated to ARRL by Joe Walsh, WB6ACU, and we have it hooked up to an antenna and there is a station log right near it.  We only use the call W1INF from that station, as that's the call that has been associated with ARRL HQ longer than W1AW has.

We also have some plans underway to get some real iron here, an old Gates BC transmitter, that will have a place in the Lab where visitors will see it.  We aren't sure that band it will end up on, but I want to have a dedicated antenna for it, and, to the extent that we can, allow guest operation, at least by "appointment," if needed. TBD.

This really is all intended to be a reaching out to the AM community. I know that our new CEO, Tom Gallagher, is pretty excited about AM, for a lot of reasons. Both Bob Allison and Mike Gruber in the Lab have a love of vintage gear and AM, so there really are friends of the AM community here at HQ.  I am still not a phone guy, but I feel an affinity with this community, because this is a technically and operationally active group of hams, getting on the air more than on the Internet, and there is a lot of similarity between AMers and QRPers, my own end of the hobby.  I do suggest that AMers should look as much as possible to the positive aspects of all of this, and let ARRL know (Directors and Tom) that this outreach is appreciated and that this will lead to a better relationship all around.

Now, back to my dark office, working on yet another report! LOL!

Ed Hare, W1RFI, ARRL Lab Dad
WB2CAU

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 04:01:35 PM »

Ed,

I know you've been in our corner all along, but that hasn't necessarily been true of all associated at League HQ. 

I'm happy that the new administration is not as cold towards the AM mode and perhaps maybe things will change for the better.  I'm looking forward to it.  Perhaps I might even re-join again... we'll see. 

Eric

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 04:53:41 PM »

E,

Nice to see you posting.

KLC

Of course, my idea of QRP is using my DX 60B on phone.

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2016, 05:07:03 PM »

Hi. Let me just chime in with a few details here that may be helpful.
<cut>
  I am still not a phone guy, but I feel an affinity with this community, because this is a technically and operationally active group of hams, getting on the air more than on the Internet, and there is a lot of similarity between AMers and QRPers, my own end of the hobby.  I do suggest that AMers should look as much as possible to the positive aspects of all of this, and let ARRL know (Directors and Tom) that this outreach is appreciated and that this will lead to a better relationship all around.

Now, back to my dark office, working on yet another report! LOL!

Ed Hare, W1RFI, ARRL Lab Dad

Ed: Welcome back and thanks for the great input on some of the AM-related activities at the ARRL and the stations. This all sounds great and looking forward to hearing the Gates on the air some time. Many AM'ers participate in a "Heavy Metal Night" of activity generally at the end of December. I believe Tom does operate some AM and that's great to hear. Now, somehow we have to move you over to the additional fun side of radio just like operating QRP.
The IARU Region 2 band planners must have had you in mind since the 20 meter SSB QRP Center of Activity and the AM Calling Frequency are both listed as 14.285 MHz.  Cheesy

I'm sure you're always busying there "writing reports et al" and diddling in the lab with all sorts of cool stuff, but don't be a stranger here on the board.

N1BCG

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2016, 05:40:44 PM »

It's a nice Valiant and NC-303, donated to ARRL by Joe Walsh, WB6ACU, and we have it hooked up to an antenna and there is a station log right near it.  We only use the call W1INF from that station, as that's the call that has been associated with ARRL HQ longer than W1AW has.

We also have some plans underway to get some real iron here, an old Gates BC transmitter, that will have a place in the Lab where visitors will see it.  We aren't sure that band it will end up on, but I want to have a dedicated antenna for it, and, to the extent that we can, allow guest operation, at least by "appointment," if needed. TBD.

Great Zorks!  A B'cast transmitter and Joe "Life's Been Good" Walsh's Valiant. Where do I get in line to sign up to try these out?!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2016, 07:42:46 PM »

It's a nice Valiant and NC-303, donated to ARRL by Joe Walsh, WB6ACU, and we have it hooked up to an antenna and there is a station log right near it.  We only use the call W1INF from that station, as that's the call that has been associated with ARRL HQ longer than W1AW has.

We also have some plans underway to get some real iron here, an old Gates BC transmitter, that will have a place in the Lab where visitors will see it.  We aren't sure that band it will end up on, but I want to have a dedicated antenna for it, and, to the extent that we can, allow guest operation, at least by "appointment," if needed. TBD.

Great Zorks!  A B'cast transmitter and Joe "Life's Been Good" Walsh's Valiant. Where do I get in line to sign up to try these out?!
Here's part of the ARRL web site story on the vintage AM stuff:
http://www.arrl.org/vintage-station-qrv-at-w1aw

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2016, 09:43:35 PM »

Ed,

Good to see ya here.   I follow you on the RFI list,  learned a lot.

Beautiful looking rig Pete.   What a great display.

Thanks for the explanation.   Glad the League is oozing to. AM.

--Shane
KD6VXI
kA5WHO

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2016, 11:51:20 AM »

There have been darn few hams, though, that have wanted to operate AM from W1AW.

Guess I am one of the few then,that  operated the vintage station,I guess within the
   1st year it was donated,they left me alone to do my thing,felt like a rare dx station every one calling.

dale/ka5who
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2016, 04:41:23 PM »

Nice looking station. The Valiant is not a plug & play radio.  I would imagine that some W1AW visitors who cut their teeth on SS gear would not know how to peak the grid or dip the plate, and to avoid problems would need at least some supervision tuning and operating the station, changing bands, etc. - at least the first time.  Maybe an AMer or two who live near Newington could arrange to put W1AW on air with that gear for the upcoming AWA AM QSO Party.
W1RFI

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »

I actually remembered to tune in to 7290 last night (pats self on back, awards participation trophy, etc) but I didn't hear anything.

I think that at that time of night, on 40 meters, you are in the skip zone. If you have a quiet location, you should be able to hear some "scatter" propagation, but it would be pretty weak.  Maybe you can hear them in the summertime, when daylight lasts a little longer.

Ed, W1RFI
W1RFI

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »

Maybe an AMer or two who live near Newington could arrange to put W1AW on air with that gear for the upcoming AWA AM QSO Party.

The transmitter was just taken "on the road" for an operating event, but maybe something got shaken up in transit, because it developed some issues. It is being repaired by someone with a lot of experience with that rig, and when it's done, it's coming back to HQ. We have a number of folks here who know how to fix these things, too, but it's nice to have the help. Smiley  If the repair goes well, it should be possible to get it back by February.  W1AW is not normally open on weekends, but if there is any interest, we could open up the Lab, where the rig lives, and get it on the air.  From the Lab, we can use the call W1AW, W1HQ or W1INF.

We do have two AMers right here in the Lab. Both Bob Allison and Mike Gruber enjoy the mode. I am a CW QRP guy, so don't operate much phone of any sort, but I feel an affinity for the AM community anyway, at least those that like me, because they have so much in common with the QRPers.  We all build, we love radio and we are actually connecting RF to antennas and operating passionately.

As this gets closer, if there is any interest, email me or Bob to see what we can do that weekend.  If nothing else, I think one of us can show up in the Lab and put one of the calls on the air.

Ed, W1RFI
W1RFI

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »

I know you've been in our corner all along, but that hasn't necessarily been true of all associated at League HQ.

I think that animosity and mistrust built on itself, from what I saw, with some HQ staff reaction being more towards the present-moment angst that has often been expressed and not as much about AM itself.  That was reciprocated, perhaps not with words, but more in actions. Heck, I used to post a lot here, too, just in affinity and support, but the anti-ARRL rhetoric got rather nasty, and I just chose to quietly leave.

But, that is not forward looking.  Gallagher is interested in building community, and the AMers are an active community. He was a major driver of o our recent participation in the 1BCG event, and is helping secure the use of some AM equipment that should be pretty exciting to get on the air.  My advice to this community is to give that a chance, to look for the positive and to find new and better ways of expressing what you want from ARRL, and to understand that it has to balance a lot of things, both resource and social. 

Okay, soapbox off now. :-)

Ed, W1RFI
Chief ARRL Lab Rat, aka the Lab Dad. :-)
W1RFI

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2016, 03:04:13 PM »

Nice looking station. The Valiant is not a plug & play radio.  I would imagine that some W1AW visitors who cut their teeth on SS gear would not know how to peak the grid or dip the plate, and to avoid problems would need at least some supervision tuning and operating the station, changing bands, etc. - at least the first time.

Joe Carcia, the W1AW Chief Op, knows how to tune a PI network and monitor grid current, so we can even do the tuneup for visitors. The visiting ops at W1AW have a wide range of skills, and the W1AW staff are always on call to help them have a fun W1AW experience.

Ed
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2016, 05:40:26 PM »

Ed, It's great to see you back at AMFone. 

Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W2JBL

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2016, 08:18:01 PM »

In 1979 I was ejected from W1AW for to talking to WA1HLR on 75 meter AM.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2016, 02:44:02 AM »

Wouldn't it be interesting after all these years, Tim considers running for Director. I'm sure at the BoD table, they all would enjoy the Miss Tilly story.  Smiley

W1RFI

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2016, 03:17:44 PM »

I don't know about 1979, but I have to wonder what the nature of the conversation was. :-)  I can't imagine that W1AW would ban any ham from talking to any other ham, just on the basis of call sign.  Tim would be very welcome to come here and operate W1AW, and I'd welcome him into the ARRL Lab.  He and Bob are good friends, actually, and I have hosted AMers in the past at an infamous party we held at a local pizza joint. Smiley

Ed, W1RFI

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015