The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 06:36:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multi-band conversion for Gates BC-500H?  (Read 1794 times)
K5QED

« on: July 06, 2016, 11:45:40 AM »

Greetings to all AM ops,

After a bit of looking around, I have found, purchased and relocated a Gates BC-500H from its original home at KRMS in Osage Beach, MO to my QTH in Southern IL.

Unit is currently partially disassembled (iron, power tubes and cabinet doors removed for transport) and standing in my garage until I redo the floor and run a 240V line in my "mudroom" where it will be permanently installed.

Hope to begin work on the restoration and conversion to 75m this fall.

In researching the conversion process, I see that several folks have managed to achieve multi-band operation through the use of vacuum relays for tank coil switching, and would eventually like to consider doing this, at least to have the ability to operate on both 75m and 160m.

Does anyone have more information on the specifics of what is needed, i.e, what vacuum relays were used, how they were mounted etc.?

Only asking so that I can be on the lookout for the required parts, etc., even if this turns out to be something that will be a few years out in the doing.

Also would be interested in the contact info for anyone that has been down this road before, or who has practical experience with this particular transmitter.

Thanks and 73,
Charles
K5QED
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 02:27:13 PM »

hi Charles and welcome to the forum .... W0VMC has done this sort of thing in the past and does really nice work .... there are others

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015