The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:34:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160m Antenna – Seeking Advice and Feedback  (Read 5438 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: June 06, 2016, 09:52:17 AM »

I live on a size challenged lot for 160m. Space for radials is almost nonexistent. Every spring I try to come up with a new antenna for the following season. I should state that my knowledge of antenna modeling is very limited. My property, available for wire antennas, is 55’W x ~100’. My garage sits centered, with its back wall a few feet from the rear property line. My tower, 50’, sits just in front of the garage. So far, using an inverted L and a Ό wave sloper, I’ve been able to work 43 states and 19 countries. Here’s what I’m thinking.

I start off by making a ½ wave dipole. It will be fed from the rear of the garage, ~ 6 ft off the ground. One leg will go straight up for about 25 ft (fiberglass mast) and will continue up to the top of the tower. The remaining length will travel horizontal, angled slightly downward, and terminate atop my house. The remaining leg of the dipole (grounded side) will be about 6 ft above the ground, running along the back side of my property (to the left) and bend back to run the left side of my property line. I’ll also run another Ό wave wire from the feed point along the back property line in the opposite direction, and again have it run back along the depth of my property line on the right side. I know the low height is going to make this a very inefficient antenna, but any antenna is better than no antenna. This sort of resembles a ground plane antenna, though the vertical element will be anything but vertical.

Any guesses on how this might work?
W1ITT

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:06:42 AM »

With the Stateside and DX contacts that you have mentioned, it appears that the inverted-L has more potential.  In absence of miles of radials, I'd suggest augmenting the existing ground with a screen.  At my suggestion, a friend bought a couple 50 by 3 foot rolls of chicken wire and ran them along the suburban lot fence.  He covered them with bark mulch to keep his XYL happy, soldered leads to the ground connection and had a respectable signal on 160.
Realizing that it will sound like the old ads for the Gotham Verticals, his first contact was with one of the DX-peditions to the South Pacific, answered on the first call, on 160.  I have a 90 foot tall Tee on 160, with a bunch of radials, but I use screen in one of the directions that radials just don't fit well.  The reference is not handy, but back in the 70s or 80s, there was a good article in the old Ham Radio Magazine describing chicken wire strip radials.  They work, and you don't have to cover the whole yard.  Run what ya got.
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »

I've used a run of welded fence wire under my vertical for years. Be sure to get the kind that is welded, not just twisted together. I think I had a 48" by 50 foot roll, cut in half and laid out in a 25' by 25' cross. So far, so good.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 11:05:06 AM »

From an aesthetic standpoint, that's not going to fly. Both sides of the property have a nice white vinyl fence. At this point this is more about experimenting.

I have a 75m loop which works very well, but it won't load up on 160 with any usable performance.
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 01:27:07 PM »

Robert,

For working states & DX the more elevation the better, but try it and see how it plays.  You might be surprised.

If you keep your inverted-L, more radials can't hurt - even short radials, or perhaps a screen as has been suggested.  When we lived in a townhouse I used an inverted-L that loaded  on 160M, 80M and 40M with 16 very short radials in the tiny back yard and the driven element had a couple of dog-legs in it.  I was able to work CW into Europe, West Indies, Central and South America, and most of the continental states on 160M.  I put that antenna up again after we moved, but I only have 10 or 12 radials.  It's still a good low band DX antenna.

Brad
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »

From an aesthetic standpoint, that's not going to fly. Both sides of the property have a nice white vinyl fence. At this point this is more about experimenting.

I have a 75m loop which works very well, but it won't load up on 160 with any usable performance.
Here's the trick.  
-Short the shield and center conductor.
-Attach to radio center conductor
-Lay out one or more radials/counterpoises attached to radio ground

Work the entire loop as a single element against the radial(s).

If you haven't already, buy ON4UN"s "Low Band DXing". (It's not just about Dxing).  Everything you want to know about 160m-40m.  Easy read, lots of proven designs, most up to date book available.

High voltages can develop as you work lower bands.  Consider getting a good higher power rated manual tuner.

https://www.arrl.org/shop/ON4UN-s-Low-Band-DXing

p.s.  Small mesh screen like chicken wire is not necessary for effective ground panels.  Much larger window/mesh like stock panels up to 8-10 inches works fine, and may be easier/cheaper to install.  Of course welded wire junctions are preferred.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 02:47:21 PM »

"  
p.s.  Small mesh screen like chicken wire is not necessary for effective ground panels.  "

http://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-4-ft-x-50-ft-14-Gauge-Vinyl-Green-3-in-x-2-in-Mesh-308352B/202024093

4 ft. x 50 ft. 14-Gauge Vinyl Green 3 in. x 2 in. Mesh   $51.94

You could buy this stuff and cut it to double the length/ make more raials. Its plastic coated, so it should last a long time. The usual rules for connecting it to your ground/radial apply.

The nice thing is one could lay this on close cut grass, and mow over it in a very short length of time. It could be easily buried in a flower bed; just cut a few holes fer the plants. Do it for the children.

klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 09:19:51 PM »

You might want to take a look at the K2AV Folded Counterpoise.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 03:54:23 PM »

I've used a run of welded fence wire under my vertical for years. Be sure to get the kind that is welded, not just twisted together. I think I had a 48" by 50 foot roll, cut in half and laid out in a 25' by 25' cross. So far, so good.

That's the hottest advice I ever got from another member on AMFONE...The stuff is not that expensive. Vinyl covered, welded steel fence. 4 feet wide and 50 feet long...I have 8 of those under my 40M vertical...They are all bonded together and that is the ground plane. Cost a few dineros, but can't beat that ground plane!!

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 07:56:32 PM »

"  
p.s.  Small mesh screen like chicken wire is not necessary for effective ground panels.  "

http://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-4-ft-x-50-ft-14-Gauge-Vinyl-Green-3-in-x-2-in-Mesh-308352B/202024093

4 ft. x 50 ft. 14-Gauge Vinyl Green 3 in. x 2 in. Mesh   $51.94

You could buy this stuff and cut it to double the length/ make more raials. Its plastic coated, so it should last a long time. The usual rules for connecting it to your ground/radial apply.

The nice thing is one could lay this on close cut grass, and mow over it in a very short length of time. It could be easily buried in a flower bed; just cut a few holes fer the plants. Do it for the children.

klc

Pricey......BUT that's what I use here...for the 40 meter vertical and another antenna.. I found a 2 foot high version 50 foot long for half the price I'm using for an alternate antenna. I would do it all over again; If I had the strength and agility to construct an "L"..Best antenna for both worlds...DX and regional..

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015