The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:56:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Icom 7300?  (Read 5790 times)
W8EJO

« on: April 18, 2016, 10:20:01 AM »

In my quest to find a reasonably priced do-it-all transceiver that also has good AM transmit audio I am intrigued by the new IC-7300. It looks impressive but I don't want it if it sounds bad on AM.

I've read the reviews & watched the YouTube videos but so far I can't find a review or discussion or audio sample of the AM transmit audio.

Has anyone here heard one on AM?

I posted a similar question on the qrz forums but was essentially dismissed as a fool/CBer for even asking the question.

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »

It's probably a bit early yet. The IC-7300 just started shipping to customers roughly 3 weeks ago. I haven't worked anyone yet on any mode who was using a 7300. Traditionally, Icom rigs are fairly decent on AM but this design is a radical departure from their previous designs. Unless you have some immediate need to spend $1400, I would wait for a few months and let the rig soak in with the early masses of buyers. There is a Yahoo Group for the IC-7300 so you might want to subscribe to that too.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »

I have not heard one either, but I have been told by those who have that they can be made to sound very nice on SSB. As far as I can tell, the maximum bandwidth will be the usual ICOM 2.9 + 2.9 for AM so keep that in mind if that is relevant to your AM operating desires.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 11:58:42 AM »

And the receiver bandwidth on AM can be set to 3, 6, or 9 KHz.

Pin 11 on the Accessory socket is modulator input if you want to use external audio microphone processing. Generally this bypasses the internal speech compressor/processor/clipper.
Pin 12 provides detector output if you want to drive an external audio amp (big woofers, etc.)

w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 12:46:27 PM »

And the receiver bandwidth on AM can be set to 3, 6, or 9 KHz.

Pin 11 on the Accessory socket is modulator input if you want to use external audio microphone processing. Generally this bypasses the internal speech compressor/processor/clipper.
Pin 12 provides detector output if you want to drive an external audio amp (big woofers, etc.)

Sounds like it has potential.  I have a guy who checks in to a couple of SSB nets I go to  WB2TUP, Joe and he sounds very smooth - not the usual heavily clipped very peaky (like an oatmeal box sound) that comes out many of the rice boxes.  It'll be interesting to hear my first one tweaked towards a good fidelity sound.

I think we all know that it doesn't employ hetrodyneing mixers and the like - it's a direct sampling unit.

Al
W8EJO

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 02:04:02 PM »

Sounds like it has potential.  I have a guy who checks in to a couple of SSB nets I go to  WB2TUP, Joe and he sounds very smooth - not the usual heavily clipped very peaky (like an oatmeal box sound) that comes out many of the rice boxes.  It'll be interesting to hear my first one tweaked towards a good fidelity sound.

I think we all know that it doesn't employ hetrodyneing mixers and the like - it's a direct sampling unit.

Al

If u have record capability and can get him to give u a few minutes of AM, ID appreciate
 hearing it.

Terry, W8EJO

VE3ELQ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 04:32:50 PM »

Terry I've heard a bunch of them in the last few weeks and they sound great on SSB even with the hand mic. Couple of the guys I hang with on 160M have them. Both are using RE-27 studio mics with an audio pre-amp to get the required audio drive and use the internal 2 band tone control EQ.  They sound very good but could be better with a proper EQ. They all have a bandwidth of 3040 hz as measured with my ANAN 10E on the waterfall so a bit wider than advertised and they all have some IMD but no worse than most of the signals I see.  I have one sitting in upstate NY which I pick up on 21 April and have the cable ready for a W2IHY 8 band EQ so will give it a try on AM and report back.  So far looks like a great little rig for the $.

73s  Nigel

A "Tube Free" zone.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 10:44:43 PM »

We had a guy out here on the west coast buy one,  and CQ on 7293 as a matter of fact.

After a few minutes of fiddling with levels and carrier level,  it made pretty good am.   I have the stock 6khz filter in my '440, but it hears //ok//,  and he sounded pretty good on it.

One notice:  He had almost imperceptible needle movement even under peaks / sybillants.   My S meter increases about 1 s unit for a hundred pct mod on most stations.   Newer Icoms don't.   Still made completely acceptable am,  with the guys stockish mic.

I have no recording,  or the capability of making one except on my phone......   Which wouldn't really do much.

--Shane
KD6VXI
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 12:01:49 AM »

I heard him too Shane. He said he broke down and bought the 7300. The AM didn't sound bad at all for a rice box. He was talking with a station in Mesa, AZ and I jumped in afterward.

If I were to buy a ricebox, I think that would be the one. Although you will sound better with a homebrew rig.

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
W8EJO

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 07:05:23 AM »

Doug, KD4MOJ, shared this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMO3z5fco2M

Terry, W8EJO

VE3ELQ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 09:18:50 AM »

Terry I am happy to report that my IC-7300 works FB on AM.  Tried it this morning on 80M with VE3AJM and a few others driving a THP 1KW amp at 200 watts carrier. Receive on AM is excellent. Mic is an RE-27 driving a W2IHY 8 band EQ into the front mic jack, mic gain at 50%. Got good audio reports.  Perhaps Al will comment.
73s  Nigel

A "Tube Free" zone.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 09:53:55 AM »

Terry I am happy to report that my IC-7300 works FB on AM.  Tried it this morning on 80M with VE3AJM and a few others driving a THP 1KW amp at 200 watts carrier. Receive on AM is excellent. Mic is an RE-27 driving a W2IHY 8 band EQ into the front mic jack, mic gain at 50%. Got good audio reports.  Perhaps Al will comment.
73s  Nigel

If you want even better transmitted audio, output the IHY EQ straight into the modulator input on the ACC socket. That bypasses all the Icom audio tailoring between the front mike jack and the modulator.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015