The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:01:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SX-28A Super Skyrider - with pic now  (Read 2386 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: April 13, 2016, 02:27:31 PM »

I acquired this SX-28A some time back with the idea that I really love this receiver and that I would restore it. But, I have too many restoration/repair projects to possibly handle. So, I've made an arrangement to purchase a very clean unit that I do not need to work on. This one is for sale. (wimping out, I am)

Selling it for a pretty fair amount less than I put into it, especially since I paid shipping to get it.

Condition is AS-IS, all there, non-working as it sits. This will need capacitors, and likely caps in the RF deck. I've got some very good references on this, and the job is really not bad, if you get the proper info on how to do it. Have that. Will share those references via email or on a USB drive (pdf files).

The cabinet will be included - although I may actually want to swap cabinets between the new and the old. The new one has a repainted cabinet which looks fine. The old one's cabinet is dirty and may or may not require repaint. (I like to do my own paint for various reasons). [This would happen AT Nearfest]

The chassis is grey, not shiny. Needs clean-up frankly. The references show how to do this well, the SX-28 chassis seems to come out nicely. No sign of "mousing". It does light up and have B+, last time I checked it. I did not do a reasonably complete check out when it arrived, so it may be in better shape electronically than I recall. The S-meter does move with the RF gain, again iirc.  Front panel is fine. Knobs good to excellent.

I was quite happy to have found this SX-28A, since it looked like a fine prospect. As with any of these boatanchor receivers a modern "upgrade" is to pick off the first mixer or IF and run that to a USB SDR dongle, and a computer... but stock, this is a surprisingly sensitive receiver! sounds magnficient too.

There are/were pix of this unit somewhere, but I can not find them as "finished" images at present (cropped, etc). So, I will shoot some more and post...

This unit can be delivered to NEARFEST via the W2TRH Express Service - Steve would appreciate a small contribution for his efforts I expect.

Asking $225 OBO! Think this is about right, and less than you'd have to pay off ebay especially given the add-on shipping cost. Open to other thoughts and possible trades, especially R-390 or SP-600 receivers...(another one of the projects waiting in line, but the possibility of swapping modules on the 390 makes that interesting)

Let's talk!!

PM is fine, we can go to email, etc... (PS will ship, if asked to)
(QTH near Albany NY)

tnx.

_-_-bear

* SX-28-NATIVE.jpg (961.43 KB, 1480x1110 - viewed 496 times.)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 08:48:21 PM »

Oh, turns out the front panel says SX-28, but iirc it has the 28A coils in the RF box. The SX-28 info I read said that there was a period where the 28 had 28A coils... btw it is fairly easy to make the front panel look perfect... or you can grab one on ebay... again this is a restoration project, but the receiver is quite restoreable.

took me a long time to find one in this good a shape at this price, fyi...

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015