The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:38:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What DMM?  (Read 10151 times)
RolandSWL
Contributing

« on: March 15, 2016, 10:03:16 AM »

Hi All,

I need a new DMM. It must have a large display and good contrast due to ageing eyesight. I have been using a Fluke 77 at work for the past couple of decades. It's reliable and rugged but pricey, even used Flukes are not cheap.
 What can you recommend?

Thanks, Roland
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 10:07:17 AM »

I have snagged several Fluke dmm offin Ebay for around $45 ... some looked rough but all of them worked fb .... gl

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 04:58:03 PM »

I like the Fluke 77 and concur with Beefus.  I snagged 3 Fluke 77s off of EBay for less than $100 to replace one I blew up accidently with a static jolt. All 3 work FB.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 05:15:13 PM »

OK,  flame proof underwear on.

I bought a Vichy 99 off eBay.   I have many Flukes,  etc at work.   From some DMM to 1KV ohm meters (meggera) n that run into the kilobuck price range.

My Vichy is what I take up a tower,  3 stories up on a man lift,  etc.

Although it's only a 4.5 digit display,  the freq counter COUNTS to 29 mhz,  the capacitance meter I've tested 40 thousand mF with,  and the voltage all agree within ten percent of any fluke I've cared to test against.

The only time I do NOT use it is when I need my B &  K (Yeah,  it's that old),  and that shows three phase rotation.

Can't go wrong for a 30 dollar fluke clone.   Especially one that works as well.

Yes,  I've shoved a couple hundred volts DC and AC into the ohm meter range,  and made an oops with the current meter.   Both produced a blown fuse.

The dielectric grease they use on the knob left something to be desired.   I bought mine in 08, and had to tuna wash and regressed it this year.

Ymmv,  I have no interest in the company,  etc.

And,  for an additional 100 bucks,  you can have an NIST certificate with it.

Bought mine mail order from San Jose,  CA.

--Shane
KD6VXI
w3kmp
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 07:13:24 PM »

A link to a Fluke safety video that I used while teaching 675 volt DC safety training to Light Rail Car technicians.

The section on meter testing is is interesting.

http://download.fluke.com/video-safety/flukesafetyvideo.html

Ken
w3kmp

Ken
w3kmp
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 10:10:36 PM »

Speaking of DVM meters, one of the more accurate and survivable meters I have used is the Southwire 11060S.

I think I bought it at Lowes for $64.00

http://www.southwiretools.com/tools/file.get.do?file_id=208

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 12:01:33 AM »

This Triplett is nice for $65. I had one like it for 8 years at a job and was pleased.
http://www.frys.com/product/8510989

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 05:25:47 AM »

Yo'

Whatever you end up with you may want to
pick up a cheap Harbor Freight DMM. At around
$5, if they blow, they blow. Take the battery
out, save the short test leads and pitch it.

I use them as "Sacrificial Lambs", and have
a box of bad ones. Haven't popped a decent meter
in a long time..

GL

/Dan

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 10:26:56 PM »

Sometimes HF has a coupon deal where those meters are $1.99 - a very fine value.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
RolandSWL
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 08:16:08 AM »

Thanks for the info. I am leaning toward the Fluke clone. Not fully decided.

RSWL...........
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »

Sorry for the late post, but I thought a bit more information might be helpful to you. 

I use a Fluke 77 and/or an Amprobe AM-530 when accuracy is important.  It is good to have an accurate, reliable meter as a shack standard.  I also avoid using either one for everyday troubleshooting.  Another meter that I find indispensable is the HP 410B or 410C VTVM with the RF probe and N coax adaptor.  I find that even the better DVMs will load the circuit and alter the reading on tube receivers, while a good VTVM does not alter the reading significantly.

I agree that the throw away red Harbor Freight meters are a good deal for everyday use.  As posted previously, they are often on sale for under $3.00, and sometimes they are a freebie with other purchasse.  They used to be yellow, but now they are red and have a separate power switch.  They have been rather reliable and accurate.  The two faults I have seen are failure of the detent in the mode selector switch, and it is sometimes difficult to get the switch knob pointer in the right direction, because the pointer is not clear in limited light.  I used a black sharpie to highlight the pointer end.

But I have found another Harbor Freight meter that is much better for daily use, and it compares favorably in accuracy with the Fluke.  It is the Cen-Tech model P37772, (I will attach a couple photos)  often it is on sale for around $14.00, and they even let you use the 20% off coupons when it is on sale, so I have three, and no problems noted at all with any of them.  You mentioned that you prefer a readable display.  This one is large, has good contrast, and tilts for easy viewing when the meter is flat on the bench.  It comes with a soft vinyl holder to protect it from physical shock.  In addition to meter functions, it has a temperature probe, transistor test functions, measures capacitors without using test leads to alter the measurement.  It reads both AC and DC CURRENT up to 20 amps.  It also has a hold function.  It does NOT do auto-ranging, and I actually prefer a meter that does not auto-range, as the reading is less ambiguous.  Just like on a Simpson 260, if you do not know the voltage, start at the highest scale and work down.

GL, and I hope you find this information helpful.

* CAM02029.jpg (981.8 KB, 1944x2592 - viewed 494 times.)

* CAM02031.jpg (976.07 KB, 1944x2592 - viewed 471 times.)

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 04:56:56 PM »

My advice:  don't screw around with crap meters.  The leads are fragile, insulation is questionable and who knows about the accuracy.

Fluke 77 absolutely.  We have hundreds of these in use around the world and I don't think we've ever had to replace one.  The battery lasts forever and they're absolutely bulletproof.

The only problem I've ever seen is the LCD sometimes has missing segments.  Easily fixed in 5 minutes; I've scored several $5 hamfest special Fluke 77s with "dead" displays.  Just take the display glass off (just a few screws) then clean the display glass contacts and zebra strips with alcohol.  Works every time!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 09:00:40 PM »

I also have 3 of those "Happy fella" 37772s, and they are fine general use meters.  when I'm doing test setups that require multiple meters for monitoring, or temp runs I use them.  For the price they are an excellent value.

I had an ancient fluke 6080 but I got tired of messing with the display and pitched the thing.   It seems those zebra strips aren't as great as once thought.

I don't work on hi tension AC power, and if I need to measure high voltage DC I use an appropriate HV probe and an HP427. 

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 03:27:33 PM »

My advice:  don't screw around with crap meters.  The leads are fragile, insulation is questionable and who knows about the accuracy.

Fluke 77 absolutely.  We have hundreds of these in use around the world and I don't think we've ever had to replace one.  The battery lasts forever and they're absolutely bulletproof.

The only problem I've ever seen is the LCD sometimes has missing segments.  Easily fixed in 5 minutes; I've scored several $5 hamfest special Fluke 77s with "dead" displays.  Just take the display glass off (just a few screws) then clean the display glass contacts and zebra strips with alcohol.  Works every time!

I'm with John here...

I bought my "77" when it first hit the market (way back there} and it's still going strong with occasional battery changes...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 09:15:01 PM »

There gud enuff.. Not like this crap is critical..   Can't
have enough of them..

/Dan

I also have 3 of those "Happy fella" 37772s, and they are fine general use meters.  when I'm doing test setups that require multiple meters for monitoring, or temp runs I use them.  For the price they are an excellent value.

* Dentron_Mod_Metered 006.jpg (393.58 KB, 1824x1368 - viewed 454 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015