The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:59:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rectifier id  (Read 3997 times)
K5IIA

« on: March 10, 2016, 02:33:41 AM »

I promise I am not just asking what is this without goo gahh linnn it for a good 30 minutes.

I have two block diodes.

both read solitron devices
129-12-1   then there is a number on other side of 7730 on one of them and 7702 on the other.

Any idea of the details on these?

* di.png (191.22 KB, 299x531 - viewed 471 times.)

* di2.png (206.51 KB, 299x531 - viewed 469 times.)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 08:26:03 AM »

the two 4 digit numbers read as date codes ...

using a current limiting device (power supply or series resistor)  + to anode and - to cathode and measure voltage drop across conducting block .... typicals would be 6 to 10V .... at .7 V drop per diode, this will tell you how many diodes are in series in the block .... I would limit the current to 500 mA or so ... if you have a hipot setup you can test piv .... use a 1 mOhn series rsistor and make the test as brief as possible...

the catalogue #s don't mean much except the 1 MAY (?) refer to current and the 12 to kpiV ...

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
W1ITT

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »

There's a company with a web address of   solitron.com  .  They appear to make semiconductor devices, but their current listings show no part numbers similar to those shown.  Perhaps you could contact them and, based on the date codes shown, ask to speak to the oldest employee in the company.  I'll betcha that person would know what those blocks are capable of.    Darn kids these days probably wouldn't have a clue.
Looking at their listings, it appears that they don't do PIVs in the kilovolt range, seemingly more interested in amps.  Too bad, as those big blocky packages look like they want to be in a big tube amp somewhere...
K7LYF

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 03:48:14 PM »

Try this link: http://www.armyproperty.com/product/21845/129-12-1/
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 01:24:16 AM »

Most of the older Solitron parts I encountered during the 1970s were high voltage and lower current stuff from Collins Rockwell's surplus store, but the only way to find out may be to call the company and ask; if it is that old someone will have to check the archives.

Heh I used to call a Solitron salesman back in the 1970's.. no e-mail in those days and being a kid I had no idea how busy sales people were. A 2 year old "IC Master" I'd got from the dumpster at Collins radio - this was a dangerous tool for sales engineer annoyance in the hands of a kid back then.. being it had direct phone numbers to sales people and engineers.

After a few times of me a 14 year old kid bothering this man when he's trying to do $100K deals, we got a procedure going where I would call and leave the question for the department secretary, and a few days later she would send me a copy of the data sheet in the mail. To his credit he was really polite about it and appreciated my hobby interest. He's probably retired now.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W4DNR

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 06:56:59 PM »

They look like the same blocks as used in a Bauer FM running 5.5 KV @ .7Amp. in a diode quad config.

Don W4DNR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015