The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:58:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another low power AM Transmitter.........  (Read 3675 times)
WA4WAX

« on: February 27, 2016, 02:59:18 PM »

........From the Wayne Green crowd.

https://archive.org/stream/73-magazine-1965-12/12_December_1965#page/n105/mode/2up
n4joy

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 07:01:50 PM »

This would be a fun build.  I could read through these old issues of 73 all night!
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 07:53:21 AM »

Me too !
The whole magazine issue dumped into my iPad along with a reader gadget allowing one to four panels to be displayed at a time.  Before I knew it an hour dissapeared.
I'd forgotten that 1965 was when incentive licensing was a hot issue until I read the letters to the editor section.  There, Wayne's comments to a disgruntled reader pulled no punches. Fun stuff.

I was a senior in college at that time and often had to decide if it was 73 or lunch that I'd buy.
No kidding.  Then lie on my side for hours, head propped up with elbow on front campus reading the latest.  I'd look over at other students under the trees engaging in useless chatter ( yeah I was kind of nerdy I guess) and wonder how they could waste such time. Wink

And get this. In the classifieds, George Norton's selling a KW-1 for $1400 and advises that it could make a good SSB linear. Horrors!

RICK  *W3RSW*
w1vtp

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 01:30:25 PM »

Me too !
The whole magazine issue dumped into my iPad along with a reader gadget allowing one to four panels to be displayed at a time.  Before I knew it an hour dissapeared.
I'd forgotten that 1965 was when incentive licensing was a hot issue until I read the letters to the editor section.  There, Wayne's comments to a disgruntled reader pulled no punches. Fun stuff.

I was a senior in college at that time and often had to decide if it was 73 or lunch that I'd buy.
No kidding.  Then lie on my side for hours, head propped up with elbow on front campus reading the latest.  I'd look over at other students under the trees engaging in useless chatter ( yeah I was kind of nerdy I guess) and wonder how they could waste such time. Wink

And get this. In the classifieds, George Norton's selling a KW-1 for $1400 and advises that it could make a good SSB linear. Horrors!

That was a big reach.  Even with the 600 lbs etc etc it wouldn't make legal limit.  Yes, horrors.  What's the going price these days?
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 08:02:35 AM »

What? $20k now or whatever the market will bear I guess.
Geo's call letters are in the ad. Wonder who has it now and if it was canablized into a SSB linear.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 09:54:18 PM »

Not a high point in the history of the transmitter but the Tucker KW was briefly used as such a linear like the KW-1.. The practice was not so uncommon as hams figured out the low duty of SSB would allow many things we might consider abuses like cranking the HV up. Too bad so much gear was chopped up from command sets to the big stuff.

I believe that is what may have led to 5-6KV on the unit and the oil filled choke explosion after which it was not used again. That will never happen again because I rewired the PS. the HV can not be increased above 3500 now. Inline with the ratings of the 1940's mod iron anyway.

If I wanted a nice tube SSB rig it would be the KWS-1. Had one before and would not settle for much else unless it was some sort of 240V sucking monster.

BTW that issue has an interesting viewpoint on the full wave tripler.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015