The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:05:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RADIO ACE  (Read 4383 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: February 27, 2016, 10:36:49 AM »

I was surfing in my Face Book page and saw an interesting regen radio.
Seemed like the owner knew what he was doing with the radio. Picking up everything under the sun. Broadcast AM and another coil for shortwave.

It seems to be out of production and started off at $109, according to reviews in eHam.

NOW in Amazon it is collectible!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Thames-Kosmos-620219-Radio-Ace/dp/B0002HABZ0

Seemed like a nice kit to build and experiment with...The audio should be out of this world with no I.F....

Do you guys know of any regen kits out there???   Shocked

A tube kit would be preferred.

I'd like to keep my brain active and diddle with electronics...I thought being at home diddling around would be fun but the novelty is wearing off.....Working would be nice,,,but I'm unpredictable with the side effects from the chemo and the meds....The last Neulasta shot drove me crazy with pain in my bones and muscles, on the back side of my legs and butt cheeks....almost 3 weeks!!! Thank you Oxycodone for relief.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »

BINGO!!!
I found a Knight Kit Span Master Regen radio kit....real regen radio using tubes...and has an audio amp (tubes) built in..
Going to have some fun...
We may not see a great increase in numbers of licensed Hams, but there are a lot of folks really interested in SWLing. Radio is still alive...

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 12:46:14 PM »

Lots of people in the vintage radio & phonograph society build a regen. They use whatever tubes are there, often TV set tubes. The result and the fun are both good!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 02:43:18 PM »

Hey Fred,
You actually found an un-built Knight Span-Master?
wow!  Good for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCfRmS6f1Wc

Right up there with my Lafayette Explor-Air.

Yeah you will have a lot of fun with it.  Relearning all your fine motor skills.  Grin
Revisiting squegging, pulling, RC  audio fidelity as a function of RF freq., interaction of controls, sensitivity vs. signal strength, ant. trim vs. antenna length, and tons of other fun stuff.  Seriously you'll have a lot of retro fun
building it (buy some new electrolytics before assembling)  and playing with it.

RICK  *W3RSW*
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 10:41:07 PM »

I have one of those Radio Ace regens floating around in my shack somewhere. I could never get the stupid thing to work correctly. I seem to recall the manual having a schematic in it that didn't match what was wired up underneath. Also, I think I had trouble getting the filament on the tube to even light, it had something to do with the way the filament was wired on the socket, I forget what tube it used, might've been a 12AU7, but I remember having to hook a wire between a third filament pin (center tap I believe) on the tube and somewhere else under the chassis on that radio to get the tube to light up. I'm thinking the problem was something like both ends of the filament were wired to the negative side of the battery and I had to run a wire from the positive to the center tap on the filament to get it to light up.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 10:30:11 AM »

I have one of those Radio Ace regens floating around in my shack somewhere. I could never get the stupid thing to work correctly. I seem to recall the manual having a schematic in it that didn't match what was wired up underneath. Also, I think I had trouble getting the filament on the tube to even light, it had something to do with the way the filament was wired on the socket, I forget what tube it used, might've been a 12AU7, but I remember having to hook a wire between a third filament pin (center tap I believe) on the tube and somewhere else under the chassis on that radio to get the tube to light up. I'm thinking the problem was something like both ends of the filament were wired to the negative side of the battery and I had to run a wire from the positive to the center tap on the filament to get it to light up.

Here's a video explaining a mod recommended by another ham for the Radio Ace regen..there's a quick frame or two showing the changes of the schematic..Supposedly a good performer if the mods are done and an outside antenna.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=radio+ace+video&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

CLIK on the RADIO ACE Vintage receiver

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 10:42:08 AM »

Hey Fred,
You actually found an un-built Knight Span-Master?
wow!  Good for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCfRmS6f1Wc

Right up there with my Lafayette Explor-Air.

Yeah you will have a lot of fun with it.  Relearning all your fine motor skills.  Grin
Revisiting squegging, pulling, RC  audio fidelity as a function of RF freq., interaction of controls, sensitivity vs. signal strength, ant. trim vs. antenna length, and tons of other fun stuff.  Seriously you'll have a lot of retro fun
building it (buy some new electrolytics before assembling)  and playing with it.

I wish!! No Rick
I'm not that lucky.........it was a buy-it-now on ePay.. It has all of the knobs and the owner says that he heard stations..probably local AM.  I ordered a manual/schematic to the Knight Kit regen...so, any circuit problems can be figured out and get it fully operational again.
There was another offering up for BID and some knobs are missing...Nothing worse than to go through all that crap of bidding for knobs missing on some ancient piece of electronics. I'll pay the price for a complete item. Then, I'll be get busy on its circuits

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015