The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:51:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Near Fest area motel recommendations  (Read 4414 times)
WA2TTP Steve

« on: February 07, 2016, 12:57:05 AM »

I attended Near Fest for the first time in the fall just on Friday but this time my friend and I would like to do both days.

What motels would past fest goers recommend.

Also is it OK to leave a table setup on Friday overnight to hold a space for Saturday?

Steve
WB2CAU

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 12:42:42 PM »

I've been to Deerfield many times in years past and have found nearby Manchester to have the greatest concentration of hotels-motels to choose from that are reasonably priced and only about a 15 to 20 minute drive to the Deerfield Fairgrounds. 

I can't recommend any specifics because it's been almost 9 years since my last trek there but looking online will yield you many options with various prices.  And besides, vacancies vary and what may have be someone's best choice last time may be fully booked next time, so lock in your reservations as early as possible.

In my personal opinion, it's probably not a good idea to leave a table setup there overnight.  It might be perceived as abandoned and someone else might take possession.  For the most part, it's an honest crowd but there can never be full guarantees of honesty.  There have always been characters hamfesting and partying all night long at Deerfield. 

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 12:28:04 PM »

Hi Eric
Thanks for your input and suggestions.
I'm a ex Long Islander. Left in 85 due to a job transfer. Miss the beaches but not the traffic and taxes.

Steve
WB2CAU

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 09:41:40 AM »

Hi Eric
Thanks for your input and suggestions.
I'm a ex Long Islander. Left in 85 due to a job transfer. Miss the beaches but not the traffic and taxes.

Steve

Steve,

Ron Rosa recently told me that you were a former LIer.  I also worked at Comtech briefly so perhaps we'd met there a long time ago.  I worked there from June to October 1970, and again in June & July 1972.  Also, if you were on LI until 1985 and attended LIMARC, I always had a table there. 

I'm a native to this area (Dix Hills) and currently live about 300 feet from where I grew up.  I'm not a transplant from the city as many other residents are.   

Perhaps we have some things to talk about on the air sometime.  I'm strictly an AMer but do a lot more listening than transmitting lately. 

73, Eric

WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 02:45:55 AM »

Eric,

Small world! I worked at Comtech from 1970, when they were in Plainview, to mid 1973. I worked mostly for Bob Levin developing gunn oscillators and multipliers to replace the Klystrons used as pump sources in the parametric amplifier systems they made. I also worked on custom systems for NRAO and the military.

I did attend the LIMARC fests and also the ones at the Islip speedway grounds but I wasn't into vintage gear or AM at the time. I operated two repeaters when I was at LILCO and was involved in a few others that shared my autopatch via UHF links. I was usually looking for FM stuff. I didn't get back into AM until 1994.

It was neat to run across Ron on 40 meter AM. Part way into the QSO my Valiant crapped out, just on 40, so I had to jump over to the TS-590s to finish up.

Hope to catch you on the air.

Steve
WB2CAU

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »

Steve,

I could give you the rundown on how I started at Comtech and why I left twice.  You obviously were there at the same time I was.  It's probably inappropriate to discuss it further here in this forum and probably not even on the air, so if you're interested, I'll send you an email to your QRZ address.  Is that okay with you?

Eric

WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 06:33:22 PM »

Email me. At
Srosenb2@nycap.RR.com

I have a good story also.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands