The AM Forum
March 19, 2024, 12:11:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Subcommittee Chair, H.R. Sponsor Testify on Behalf of Amateur Radio Parity Act  (Read 10682 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: January 13, 2016, 03:05:51 PM »

H.R. 1301
It's good to have hams in the right places.

From the ARRL web site dated 1/12/16:
http://www.arrl.org/news/subcommittee-chair-h-r-1301-sponsor-testify-on-behalf-of-amateur-radio-parity-act

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »

Pete, you might be the right one to axe about this... question of the decade:

Why does the ARRL refer to themselves in writing and speech as "A.R.R.L." ?    Why not "THE A.R.R.L."  like everyone else ??      

It's  "The Autobahn Society" ,  "The Humane  Society"     "The  United Way"  "The I.R.S."   etc.    

The words American, Radio, Relay are modifiers and can be dropped leaving "League"  

It's proper to say "I drove to "The League"  -   not I drove to "League."

What would Hiram say?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 04:42:31 PM »

Pete, you might be the right one to axe about this... question of the decade:

Why does the ARRL refer to themselves in writing and speech as "A.R.R.L." ?    Why not "THE A.R.R.L."  like everyone else ??      
It's  "The Autobahn Society" ,  "The Humane  Society"     "The  United Way"  "The I.R.S."   etc.    

The words American, Radio, Relay are modifiers and can be dropped leaving "League"  

It's proper to say "I drove to "The League"  -   not I drove to "League."

What would Hiram say?

T
You need to get on the air more  Cheesy

Definition of "the" and how it's used: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/the

American Radio Relay League is used collectively as a proper name (noun). The "the" is used to mark the proper noun.

The "Autobahn Society" doesn't called itself "The Autobahn Society". Actually it's really called "National Audubon Society"(proper noun). The "the" is used to again mark the proper noun. However, some organizations choose to use the "the" in their organizational title as "The Humane Society of the United States".

The "United Way" and the "IRS"(no periods) don't use "the" in their proper name.

Hiram probably doesn't care.

KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 10:45:03 PM »

So should it be "Easter The Rabbit", "Smokey The Bear or Smokey Bear and Easter Rabbit?

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 11:17:36 PM »

OK, I get it now.

So, cat is a noun and it becomes "the cat"

Jim is a proper noun and would not be "the Jim"  rather just "Jim"

T

BTW, despite the English rules, if we did a survey of hams, I'll bet the majority still call the ARRL  "The ARRL" or "The League" not  "ARRL"

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 02:37:28 AM »

BTW, despite the English rules, if we did a survey of hams, I'll bet the majority still call the ARRL  "The ARRL" or "The League" not  "ARRL"

As I said earlier: The "the" is used to mark the proper noun. Their official title or identifier is not "the ARRL"; it's the "ARRL".
Maybe "identify" would be a better word then "mark".
I would suspect an English or grammar teacher/professor could probably shed lots of additional insight on this topic. What do I know; I'm from Jersey; not the Jersey  Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015