The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:59:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dirk, WA2CYT - urgent matter  (Read 14369 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: January 12, 2016, 08:24:46 PM »

I was reading the mail today, and later heard Dirk on 40m.

It seems he has had a medical event. The description I heard was alarming. In my opinion and based on how he
sounded on the air, it would be most prudent for him to seek immediate medical attention, without any further delay. Too much time may have elapsed already.

IF there is anyone on here who knows Dirk well enough or is in a position to urge, assist, or intervene, that would
be a very prudent thing to do.

I know that people have the right to do as they wish for themselves, and Dirk is a unique fellow who lives independently, but I think he is in dire need of help if it can be found.

Having worked Dirk on-the-air for many years, and having met him, I don't want to stand by on the side, if by posting I can help. If I was closer I'd give serious consideration to driving over, calling an ambulance or the police, or doing something more proactive.

I thought about this since this AM, and about what, if anything to do, and I feel that this post is about the most
that I can do. So, I have.

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 09:13:56 PM »

Thanks for the info Bear.

Well, I thought the proper thing to do was to call him directly in VT. I found his phone number on the web and gave him a call.  I won't go into details, but the medical event happened a few weeks ago and sounds like he is not in immediate danger - BUT needs to see a doctor for potential treatment ASAP. He said he planned to do so soon.  Not much more we can do, I guess.

Yes, living alone can be a big risk as we get older.  

T

Thought for the day:  If you're going to think anyway, you might as well think big!  - Donald Trump

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w1vtp

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 10:00:38 PM »

I had a conversation with Dirk a couple of times now.  Yes, he needs to keep on top of this.  It was the result of being exposed to some toxic fumes.  He has been under medical treatment for it - been tested.  I agree that he needs to have this condition monitored and I think he will.  He does lean toward homeopathic medicine.

I think he will follow though with modern medicine in this case.  We need to urge him to do so. By way of comfort to us all, he has shown noticeable improvement but still has slightly slurred speach

Al
WBear2GCR

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 07:07:00 AM »

Did he say what these toxic fumes were??

Hopefully he did not mix bleach with ammonia...

Glad he saw a doctor. I didn't expect that he would. Hope he really did.

_-_-

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 08:14:32 AM »

As we age, our ability to be watchful of the dangers around us, can have surprises. I have done the same thing mixing stuff together and strange stuff started to happen....got out in time.
Hopefully Dirk has seen a doctor or is in a hospital..

I would be overwhelmed in my present situation, if were not married and had someone here 24/7. The Golden Years?Huh B.S.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
VE3AJM

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 10:35:37 AM »

Dirk has been on this morning with Tim WA1HLR on 40m talking about this.

The toxic fumes apparently were from various PVC glues he was using putting some 1" pipe connections together at work. The PVC cleaner, primer and glue itself. He mentioned it affected the nerves in the back of his tongue, amongst some of the other symptoms he had been experiencing.

Glad hes getting medical treatment for it and using a mask/breathing apparatus if hes ever around those type of vapours/fumes again.

Al VE3AJM
w1vtp

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »

Dirk has been on this morning with Tim WA1HLR this morning on 40m talking about this.

The toxic fumes apparently were from various PVC glues he was using putting some 1" pipe connections together at work. The PVC cleaner, primer and glue itself. He mentioned it affected the nerves in the back of his tongue, amongst some of the other symptoms he had been experiencing.

Glad hes getting medical treatment for it and using a mask/breathing apparatus if hes ever around those type of vapours/fumes again.

Al VE3AJM

You only get one "get out of jail free" pass on this one.  Yes, Dirk has had multiple tests and has been under medical care.  I wasn't sure before if it was a job related "injury."  If that's the case then Workman's Comp... should take care if things - if Dirk follows through.  At some point he will have to sign off on things so that Workman's Comp can be free of future claims.

I wish him well.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 02:24:37 PM »

I wasn't sure before if it was a job related "injury."  If that's the case then Workman's Comp... should take care if things - if Dirk follows through.  At some point he will have to sign off on things so that Workman's Comp can be free of future claims.

Hmmmm...   Litigious society +   hot shot lawyer +   serious permanent injuries +  negligence in workplace +    company  / insurance company with deep pockets  +  sympathetic jury  =   Dirk retires millionaire.  :-)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

w1vtp

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 04:59:52 PM »

I wasn't sure before if it was a job related "injury."  If that's the case then Workman's Comp... should take care if things - if Dirk follows through.  At some point he will have to sign off on things so that Workman's Comp can be free of future claims.

Hmmmm...   Litigious society +   hot shot lawyer +   serious permanent injuries +  negligence in workplace +    company  / insurance company with deep pockets  +  sympathetic jury  =   Dirk retires millionaire.  :-)

SHHHHH!   Grin
WBear2GCR

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 06:47:41 PM »

wow... nasty stuff.

I don't use it much but now I will be 100% sure to wear a charcoal respirator and ventilate the area extra.

IF they violated OSHA regs by not providing appropriate protective wear, he should get himself an ambulance chaser type shark asap.

_-_-

Otoh, hope it wears off and he recovers completely, probably a better outcome.

W6ZKH

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 10:48:24 AM »

Good Luck to him................funny, how when OSHA came about, companies then started thinking more about safety of employees than before.  Even though I worked for 40 years for the Bell System, and they preached safety, one thing they never did until just before I retired in 1995 was working with Lead Sheath cables.  I was a Splicer, and can remember putting a shine on the Lead sheath with a carding brush and emery cloth, so we could solder lead splicing sleeves, etc!!  No mask, overalls, etc, just breath that stuff never thinking about the problems that it could lead to.  Then right before I retired, they came out with the disposable jumpsuits, breathing mask, etc.... Little too late for the old timers...Sofar I havent been diagnoised with Lead Poisoning ....

John W6ZKH
Cen CA
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »

No mask, overalls, etc, just breath that stuff never thinking about the problems that it could lead to.  Then right before I retired, they came out with the disposable jumpsuits, breathing mask, etc.... Little too late for the old timers...Sofar I havent been diagnoised with Lead Poisoning ....

I cringe to think of the clouds of lead/tin solder fumes many of us have breathed in over our lifetimes.  A little here  - a little there.  How would you know how much crazier you are today as a result?    Wink

If I were to do it over, I would mount  an outside-the-house squirrel cage sucking air outside attached to a 6" PVC pipe which sits behind my work area.  Back in '92 I built one for a chronic cigarette smoker who worked next to me and it solved the problem.  The PVC pipe sat behind his ashtray and sucked air out like a blizzard.  I made sure he blew his smoke into the pipe too.  

Nowadays it's a mandatory smoke-free environment.  I still can't believe how bad the cigarette smoke used to be in a typical company from the 50's to the 90's. Cigars included. Come home and you smelled like a night out at the bar.

T

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 02:47:49 PM »

Tom,

I actually enjoyed the fumes as a kid.   It scares me to think of all the crap I've breathed in.   Including pic glue:  I use it a LOT in underground electric work.

Another idea I've used is a 20 dollar bathroom fan near the bench.   Point the exhaust towards your work area.   Gives ya a nice cool breeze as well as kills the nasty fumes.

--Shane
KD6VXI
K2AEP

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 09:31:55 AM »

Hopefully Those PVC Fumes were not as Toxic as those that "Blown-Away-Bob" was Exposed to.         k2aep   
w1vtp

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 09:34:19 PM »

Hopefully Those PVC Fumes were not as Toxic as those that "Blown-Away-Bob" was Exposed to.         k2aep   

That's a good approximation.

Al
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 10:02:19 PM »

I worked in a radiator shop in Quincy, MA for a few years in the early 70's, I drove around the South Shore and Boston delivering radiator parts and picking up radiators for repair. All the old timers, I was 20/21, were my parents generation, in the course of a year two of these guys just dropped dead. They were all smokers but also worked in the shop, it was a FOUL place even in the summer when it was open. The winter was even worse, a 100 foot long building and you couldn't see from one end to the other when it was all closed up to keep warm. They used acid flux for solder and burned the old paint ect off the radiators prior to soldering. It didn't take me long to figure that I didn't want to spend my working career in that type of environment.

In the late 70's I was living in CA and went back to MA for a visit, dropped by that shop one day. By that time OSHA had appeared on the scene, the place was like night and day. The owner had installed decent ventilation, a fan above each work area because OSHA required it.
VE3AJM

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 11:18:09 AM »

There are differences here in Ontario in Workmans Comp/Occupational health and safety insurance coverage, and  liability/responsibility between actual company employees, and independent contractors.

If you are working for said company as an independent contractor, the obligations/coverages are different, other than in the construction industry here. Independent contractors other than in construction, can choose to not take and pay into Workmans Comp.

Always a responsible idea to carry your own private disability/liability insurance coverage if you are an independent contractor and you are not paying into any Workmans Comp. and follow good workplace safety practices yourself.

Al VE3AJM
w1vtp

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 12:40:41 PM »

<snip>

If you are working for said company as an independent contractor, the obligations/coverages are different, other than in the construction industry here. Independent contractors other than in construction, can choose to not take and pay into Workmans Comp.

Always a responsible idea to carry your own private disability/liability insurance coverage if you are an independent contractor and you are not paying into any Workmans Comp. and follow good workplace safety practices yourself.

Al VE3AJM

I think it's the same here except some companies require that you be bonded - that is that there is proof that you do have insurance so that you cannot come back to the company with a claim due to unsafe working environment.

I absolutely agree with the self-insurance comment.  However, self insuring one's self is a pretty expensive item.  Since Dirk is into homeopathic medicine I'm not confident that he has insurance.

[Fingers crossed]  Al
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 01:11:50 AM »

The last cheap car I got was from a guy that was into unorthodox self-cures. He set up a vaporizer with hydrogen peroxide and operated it nightly next to his bed for months. He died for lack of going to a doctor, and using home made cures instead, which did not help. This cure was probably a real bad idea.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 12:56:17 PM »

homeopathic medicine

There is no cure for people who use such meds!

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
VE3AJM

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 01:47:43 PM »

In the same QSO, I did hear Dirk say that next time he will bring and use his respirator breathing apparat. He has one apparently.

If you are covered by Workmans Comp as a contractor, and you choose not to use the required safety equipment at the work site and are injured, you would be SOL and denied any benefits, and be harming yourself and your ability to make a living. This has nothing to do with homeopathy or alternative medicines. Just common sense personal responsibility in looking after yourself, or poor judgement.

If breathing in those fumes messes up your nerves and speech/tongue and causes paralysis there,....ie..scary stuff that would affect your life, I would think that you need to, re-evaluate your judgement.

Avoid the need for any treatment by doing your work safely.

Al VE3AJM

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 01:28:15 PM »

LSD did Bob in... and I'm not sure it was self-administered.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 01:30:20 PM »

Had a conversation with Dirk the other day on 75 meters.  He was in good spirits.  Talked a little slowly, but (and I'm trying to remember why) I don't think it was related to the incident we're addressing here.

Dirk hasn't been on 75 meters in a long time, so it was good to hear him on the band again.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WBear2GCR

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 10:56:11 AM »

Steve,

It is directly related to the incident being discussed. I think that since you posted you may have heard more of
the story either from Dirk, or from others... seems to have been concentrated fumes from PVC cement.

_-_-

PS. I don't even use canned spray paint these days without a full charcoal respirator, no matter how short or small the job.

w1vtp

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 10:14:40 PM »

Steve

I got it from Dirk himself - unsolicited.  Frankly, had he not told me I might have remained ignorant of the whole situation.  He's the one who used the terms such as "like a stroke."  I have talked to him since then and he seems to have improved slightly.  Apparently from my reading the peripheral nerve system can have some healing whereas the central nerve system cannot.  I'm hoping for former is the case - that along with the brain's ability to "rewire" functions will continue.

I think I have said this before in this thread: don't assume your are invincible when it comes to toxins. There are always consequences some greater than others. Be safe!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015