The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:43:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten-Tec is Bubbling With Future Changes  (Read 23856 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: January 04, 2016, 04:18:53 PM »

Evidently, some of this company activity has been going on for awhile if you do a Google search.
http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ten-tec-announcement-january-4-2016.506554/

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 05:29:28 PM »

Hmmm...  I wonder how much Flex, Apache Labs and other SDRs  had to do with Ten Tec's sales decline.  Ten Tec survived the stiff Japanese radio competition in the past, but maybe this was too much.

I haven't looked at their product line in a while, but I'm guessing they never came out with an SDR.  For that matter, how about Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu?   Did they ever come out with a stand-alone SDR?

I see Kenwood's TS 2000 interfaces to a computer and looks SDR-slick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asdR3B74Xx8

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 06:13:19 PM »

Interesting.. I have a Ten-Tec "Omni VII" 588 that I am currently using as an exciter for a larger project.  Wink

Here is the status on what was a current production model:

http://www.rkrdesignsllc.com/products/transceivers-receivers/ten-tec-model-588at-omni-vii-with-auto-tuner/

How many times have we all seen this as technologies and trends rule?

Ten-Tec was a long time survivor, with commercial and military contracts in tow. "Software Defined" is the new trend, and as Tom suggests, knobs may become "virtual" at the same time as we long for the days of actually driving our "driverless cars"..

..and so it goes   Grin

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 07:55:55 PM »

Hmmm...  I wonder how much Flex, Apache Labs and other SDRs  had to do with Ten Tec's sales decline.  Ten Tec survived the stiff Japanese radio competition in the past, but maybe this was too much.

I haven't looked at their product line in a while, but I'm guessing they never came out with an SDR.  For that matter, how about Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu?   Did they ever come out with a stand-alone SDR?

I see Kenwood's TS 2000 interfaces to a computer and looks SDR-slick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asdR3B74Xx8

T

Maybe their senior management just needs a shot of younger blood to start embracing some of the newer technology and devices in the marketplace.

Many of the newer transceivers (within the last 15 years (where have you been)) can interface with a computer and can get firmware upgrades and do other wizzy computer related things.

Icom's IC-7300's with its direct RF sampling system, http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0173sdr.html
comes close to an actual SDR-type radio with knobs.

SDR's with "knob control" are hitting the market:

Tom, you need to get out more  Cheesy

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »

Yep, Pete,  there's no doubt that I've been stuck in the 80's... :-)

The problem is that unless something comes out that really tickles my fancy OR gives me a big edge over the present rig, I don't bother. 

However, the Apache Labs with "pure signal" does give me a tickle and could be my next rig.  There's something about using an SDR that can drive any old monster, dirty linear chain and be as clean as -55db 3rd ++.

Jeff, the only thang I see wrong with those radio knob SDR units is that they cram the display into a tiny front panel, something like using cell phone.    Maybe those rigs have an interface to allow a big 22" LCD screen when desired.

It is a PIA to have to boot up a computer with the normal SDRs, so having it all built in is nice. That probably IS the future until the brain implants come about...  I'm looking forward to thinking a question or thinking CQ and suddenly a super computer comes on line in my head.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:58:56 PM »

Speaking of the changing face of ham radio... the other night I was listening to a guy working Europe on 75M.  I've always thought I could hear a pin drop in Eu with the high quad array and beverages. Maybe the best ears in the US on 75M into Eu.  But this guy was working Russians that were at my noise level. I figured he was using a European web receiver or something. (my ego was bruised) Turns out he was legit - on a remote controlled 60 acre site that was 300 yards from the Atlantic ocean in the most NE corner of Maine you can get. (Eastport Maine)  He had up a simple 4-square vertical array and was remote operating from New Jersey.  

Anyway, turns out he owns a company that leases remote sites around the country to hams. He has up over 50 towers and 300 antennas scattered around.  Just imagine if you want to work South America on 75M, you just dial up the FL remote super-station on your own remote. Or working JA from CA.  Or EU from Maine as mentioned.

Hearing how he had me beat by a few dB on receive was a harsh realization, like when a riceburner car with nitros cleans your GTO clock.. :-0   Things are a-changing and like it or not, a ham in his NYC apartment overlooking Central Park can now get on his web-computer and beat anyone's local antenna farm.  It's a whole new way of operating.  More power to them I say.

Of course remotes have been around for at least 20 years now, but we are seeing them get bigger, better, and much more competitive, like maxed out corntest stations - unlike the early days.

This is DXing and Corntesting mentality, I admit, and has nothing to do with AM, but I still have some competitive old school DXing in me and it was interesting to see how technology has finally caught up and passed me by, caw mawn.

Check out his site and links:

http://www.w2re.com/about-2/

T

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 09:50:02 PM »

If you really want to know more about "Remote Ham Radio", go here:
http://www.remotehamradio.com/the-stations/

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 11:20:13 PM »

Operating those remote could be fun and most certainly would be something different. For me, much of the fun is knowing that I built the antenna(s) and station and optimized the capability from my location.

Hearing a pin drop in EU from a seaside location in Maine is just about child's play. Try doing it from Virginia.  Wink

Finally, SDRs have been around since at least the 1980s, even ones with knobs. Ham radio is well behind the times, as usual.
KA2DZT

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 11:42:54 PM »

Steve,  I agree,  The fun of Ham Radio for me has always been what can I do with my equipment from my QTH.

Fred
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 12:05:52 AM »

I read the info, Pete.   Amazing.  I wonder how they keep up the maintainence all round the USA...  Imagine a simple amplifier crap out and having to fly out to CA.    And how about burglaries, power outages, weather, etc.

Anyway, looks like there won't be too many 1/2 hour old buzzard AM transmissions at 59 cents per minute and a yearly fee that can approach a couple thousand bux.

Naw, for me, the thrill of using that system would be gone in a heart beat I'm sure, just like using Skype.  After being king of the band a few times it would wear off.   

Much of ham radio is tinkering and the thrill of owning your own stuff, no matter how humble.  For the hams without the facilities to pull off a real station, it may be the answer.

T

W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 01:16:56 AM »

I haven't got the money to get into an equipment race, for me the fun is getting some of this old (junque) stuff working, learning a few things, reliving what it was in the day and the satisfaction of using a piece of gear that is older than I to talk to some one hundreds of miles away.

I also have a love and fascination with the history of radio that goes along all of this.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 08:55:30 AM »

Personally, I think these remote sites are cheating. If you really want to talk with someone that bad, call them on Skype - always a 5-9 contact! Some things are just better the old way, like my wife of 31 years - her glow keeps me warm at night. She's one of the most dependable things I have, and provides me with hours of enjoyment. No desire to trade her in for the virtual knobless version! Oh ya, and she's even licensed - KB2CZD
w1vtp

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 09:53:18 AM »

Personally, I think these remote sites are cheating. If you really want to talk with someone that bad, call them on Skype - always a 5-9 contact! Some things are just better the old way, like my wife of 31 years - her glow keeps me warm at night. She's one of the most dependable things I have, and provides me with hours of enjoyment. No desire to trade her in for the virtual knobless version! Oh ya, and she's even licensed - KB2CZD

Apologize for off-topic comment.  Another option for keeping in  touch with our ham radio friends is CQ100.  It's a ham radio only service where those who have been victimized by HOA's or are in a assisted living environment can still keep in touch

73's and apologies, Al
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 11:34:12 AM »

I would suspect one of the purposes of the "remote sites"  is to provide an average ham with limited equipment or antenna resources, the thrill of "big gun" contesting station action or working the exotic DX in those very rare places with ease. It wasn't designed to replace Skype or CQ100 for idle talk to your buddy in Somalia.

"remote sites are cheating"
I guess you would also call cheating: using FM repeaters, working stations through satellites, working EME, using digital modes to work weak signal DX. Heck, even using SDR's rigs could be construed as cheating to comply with your  "Some things are just better the old way".

w1vtp

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 12:10:40 PM »

Pete is making good sense to me.  My view is that the whole experience of remote sites, repeaters is truly the spirit of the experimenter - someone has to be behind the scenes making these remote sites viable just as repeaters have support technicians experimenters - whatever fits your idea of the dedicated people who make this whole remote / repeater concept available to the ham who just wants to communicate with others around the world.

Some have been for various reasons disconnected from the ham radio experience - why not use technology to give these folks a chance to communicate with others.  We need to put ourselves in the shoes of antenna restricted HOA victims or those who are in rest homes or assisted living homes.  Why should these folks disconnect themselves from their friends or potential new friends or the thrill of talking around the world to new folks when technology makes possible connecting with others.

Amateur radio is a tremendous mix of technical types and folks who just want to reach out.  The amateur radio community has done well to make technology work for us all.  This has probably been a little off topic but the content is certainly important.

Back on topic: I do hope things work well for TenTec.  Not everyone wants to spend the big bux for the Flex Radio's Signature series transceiver plus the Maestro Control Console.  There are many who do not want to get into the challenge of tweaking an Apache Lab's Anan into proper operational status.  TenTec as a US based amateur radio company has a good place for us.  I do hope this hasn't been a hostile takeover that results in the demise of an excellent choice for us in a US made transceiver.

Al
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 12:22:03 PM »

It's interesting that the ARRL, in the published review about remote sites, accepts these kinds of contacts for their awards. So there ya go... work DXCC, WAS, WAC, etc., all on your computer and get the wallpaper to prove it.

They look at the financial legalities the same as renting a vacation QTH in the Caribbean.

But the bottom line is you can't fool yourself. Ya get back what ya put in.  Three people attempted Mt. Everest.  One flew in a turbo-charged helicopter, one took a snowmobile and the other climbed the north face by hand.  You can finish the story...  

Surprise:  The helicopter crashed due to elevation, the snowmobile fell into a bottomless crevasse and the climber smugly worked DXCC on his I-pad from the top.  Grin

T

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 02:16:26 PM »

It's interesting that the ARRL, in the published review about remote sites, accepts these kinds of contacts for their awards. So there ya go... work DXCC, WAS, WAC, etc., all on your computer and get the wallpaper to prove it.

They look at the financial legalities the same as renting a vacation QTH in the Caribbean.

I look at it as the "computer" is the audible, visual, mechanical extension of the front panel of a typical transceiver. The fact that the computer and rig are connected through many miles of technology is immaterial.

But the bottom line is you can't fool yourself. Ya get back what ya put in.  Three people attempted Mt. Everest.  One flew in a turbo-charged helicopter, one took a snowmobile and the other climbed the north face by hand.  You can finish the story...  

Surprise:  The helicopter crashed due to elevation, the snowmobile fell into a bottomless crevasse and the climber smugly worked DXCC on his I-pad from the top.  Grin
T

No Wi-Fi available at the top of Mt. Everest  Cheesy

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 02:30:49 PM »

I would suspect one of the purposes of the "remote sites"  is to provide an average ham with limited equipment or antenna resources, the thrill of "big gun" contesting station action or working the exotic DX in those very rare places with ease. It wasn't designed to replace Skype or CQ100 for idle talk to your buddy in Somalia.

So let's take the example of someone using a remote station to work all 50 states. I believe that the ARRL's stipulation is that all 50 states are worked from within so many miles (50-100 I think) of one location. If I can't hear that station in Alaska from my station, and I use a remote station, did I really work them? Although, I admit I use these sites to see how I'm being copied to get an idea of the propagation.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 02:44:31 PM »

No Wi-Fi available at the top of Mt. Everest  Cheesy

Another surprise: The climber "simulated" working DXCC QSOs in virtual reality using an internal program in the I-pad.  In fact he never really climbed Everest... it was all simulated safely at home.

Just click the mouse and hear:   "The view must be great up there, OM - and you're the strongest signal on the band and have perfect broadcash audio!"    Wink

T

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 02:45:44 PM »

Back on topic: I do hope things work well for TenTec.  Not everyone wants to spend the big bux for the Flex Radio's Signature series transceiver plus the Maestro Control Console.  There are many who do not want to get into the challenge of tweaking an Apache Lab's Anan into proper operational status.  TenTec as a US based amateur radio company has a good place for us.  I do hope this hasn't been a hostile takeover that results in the demise of an excellent choice for us in a US made transceiver.

Al

I think if Ten-Tec (or any company) wants to remain successful they need to be less of a "follower" in technology and designs and become more of a "follow me" in their equipment products. Technology is constantly and rapidly changing all the time. Product lines need to evolve quickly to meet the curious and excited needs of the marketplace. Having design cycles 5 to 10 years in a product line will kill you very quickly in today's technology world.

As an example, I recently bought a TV. It came with two remotes. One had the traditional multitude of buttons. The other had 3 buttons, a swipe area, and microphone. With this one using voice commands, I can tell the TV to find specific TV program material, I can access the Internet to surf the web to find whatever I want to find, find any movie from anywhere, surf U-tube for any videos (ham radio or whatever), play any kind of music from anywhere, etc. etc. Technology has moved so fast in such a short time, it has become mind boggling. It makes the TV I bought in 2013 old and obsolete.

Amateur radio companies are no different. Companies have to move very quickly, seize the current technology moment, and get it to market or they quickly will fall behind and become tagged as "they use to have good equipment in the old days". Whether it's "made in the USA" or not is immaterial in today's world. Those lines are very blurred since many components and assemblies are sourced from beyond our US borders.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 02:48:29 PM »

So let's take the example of someone using a remote station to work all 50 states. I believe that the ARRL's stipulation is that all 50 states are worked from within so many miles (50-100 I think) of one location. If I can't hear that station in Alaska from my station, and I use a remote station, did I really work them? Although, I admit I use these sites to see how I'm being copied to get an idea of the propagation.

I guess a lot depends on what working 50 states means to you. You did it for an award; you did it for fun and giggles; you did it to see if you could do it, etc.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 02:52:17 PM »

No Wi-Fi available at the top of Mt. Everest  Cheesy

Another surprise: The climber "simulated" working DXCC QSOs in virtual reality using an internal program in the I-pad.  In fact he never really climbed Everest... it was all simulated safely at home.

Just click the mouse and hear:   "The view must be great up there, OM - and you're the strongest signal on the band and have perfect broadcash audio!"    Wink

T

Ah, "virtual reality"- sort of like having total recall in an imaginary world - probably similar to the "75 M AM Window".  Cheesy

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 10:01:29 AM »

Pete, you wrote,

"younger blood to start embracing some of the newer technology and devices in the marketplace. "

Good pun "Gerald" or was it your subconscious working? Wink

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 12:44:38 PM »

Pete, you wrote,

"younger blood to start embracing some of the newer technology and devices in the marketplace. "

Good pun "Gerald" or was it your subconscious working? Wink

At my age, I'm happy my conscious is still working  Cheesy  but good catch, and unintentional connection

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 01:06:46 PM »

No Wi-Fi available at the top of Mt. Everest.

Are you sure?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015