The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 10:24:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaky Battery  (Read 2505 times)
W9ZSL
Contributing

« on: December 18, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »

I have an Audio Technica condenser microphone I haven't used for a couple of years.  I should have removed the "AA" Alkaline battery but didn't.  Last night I dug it out and found leakage.  I didn't see any corrosion but there is goop in the battery compartment.  What is the best way to clean it?  I can't immerse the positive end because the electret capsule is part of the compartment.  The negative end is in the barrel of the mic.  I have some wooden cotton-tipped swabs.  What kind of solvent should be used if any?  The last thing I need is setting off some nasty chemical reaction!

Thanks & Merry Christmas all!
Mike - W9ZSL
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 04:44:19 PM »

Use vinegar with a soft bristle brush followed by denatured alcohol.
W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 07:26:29 PM »

Thanks Jim, can do!
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 02:23:32 PM »

Pulled out a piece of equipment I bought a few years ago, the battery compartment had green crud on all the connections, this thing takes 8 AA batteries. I removed the battery holder from the device and but it in a plastic pan and filled it with white vinegar, just enough to cover. In a few hours all the green crud was gone.

I rinsed it off with water, put it back in the plastic pan and filled that with hot water that had bicarbonate soda dissolved in it. Let that sit for a few hours and then rinsed with water again and left by my floor furnace to dry.

The plating on the connections has been partly removed by the corrosion but all the green crud is gone.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 09:44:15 PM »

Denatured Alcohol = alcohol mixed with water. Most drug stores have two strengths. Go for the 90% alcohol. less water and dries faster, less residue. It's great for cleaning circuit boards and most anything in the shack. Good Luck.

Mike

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015