The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:03:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frequency Counter marrying with DX-100  (Read 4209 times)
K4BOF
« on: November 11, 2015, 12:07:39 PM »

It was recommended that I (a newbie) use a FC with my DX-100.  Secured a fair-priced Heath Schlumberger SM-4100. 
The Seller was very kind and wired up a 22g, multi-looped wire connected to a coax pigtail with BNC input connector, as an RF pickoff for me. 
This configuration does work when placed at the RF coax output of the DX-100, I do see a readout. 
Any DX-100 users have another RF source/area where I could pickoff cleanly?  Thank you.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 12:38:43 PM »

http://amfone.net/ECSound/RFsampler.htm
K4BOF
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 06:33:59 PM »

So this little box will provide a frequency readout via BNC connector AND provide an audio output to hear what one sounds like? 
If so,...very cool!
Thank you for the link.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 07:45:03 PM »

Depending on how the DX-100 changes bands, one could pick off after the VFO by putting a BNC on the rear apron, and an appropriate attenuation network (pair of resistors). Assuming the VFO changes to the fundamental frequency for each band, and does not multiply for higher freqs you would have a direct reading.

One could also pick off signal from the RF driver or just before the RF driver, again depending on where in the rig and how it makes the higher freqs, IF you even expect to run it on the higher freqs. If not, then it almost certainly has a 1:1 VFO to output frequency relationship.

But the output voltage divider will work, but only when the xmitr is keyed. You might want to be able to hit "spot" and get the frequency.

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 08:04:29 PM »

Huh
Back when I used a freq counter (instead of the sdr-iq) I just put a 4 foot piece of wire into the counter input and it picked up enough rf to read a frequency even under 100 watts output.

Its a shame AADE is no longer in business, their counters were very nice and inexpensive.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 09:43:19 AM »

But other than the kool-ness of having a digital readout, IF you have a receiver with accuracy, then just zero beating the QSO and spotting the VFO is more than sufficient, or zero beating the freq on the receiver and using the spot switch to tune the VFO. That's what I do.

Also, I don't mute the receiver at all, I monitor my transmission with the receiver. As long as the speaker is far enough away or not too loud there is no feedback (changing the polarity of the speaker sometimes or position will help, if needed). The 'Dow Key' relay provides enough isolation so as to not overload the receiver input. Even if you do mute, the receiver is still connected via the T/R switch, it's just told not to talk if you use the mute... Cheesy

Perhaps running above 200watts out one might incorporate a transmit side attenuator by using the aux contacts that are on many T/R relays of the DowKey type. Or an external "mute" circuit actuated relay could drop in some attenuation...

But the idea of a diode or other means of monitoring urself is a good idea, I think. Some folks do not like to hear
themselves though.

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
w1vtp

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 10:09:08 AM »

Bear

I like your suggestion of picking up the RF before the modulated stage.  Problem is with sampling the modulated RF is the computer will show different readings depending on the modulation.  Maybe not at the VFO but further down the RF chain.  Using an accurate receiver is what I do with my vintage transmitter (32V1).

Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015