The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:25:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Triplett 630 feet?  (Read 4734 times)
WB3JOK

« on: October 18, 2015, 10:47:44 PM »

I have several Triplett 630's around the shack and almost all are missing their rubber feet (that slip into the four case mounting screw holes on the back). The original design was barely tight enough and as the rubber aged, they tended to fall out and get lost.

Is there a source for these feet? The manuals don't show them as a separate p/n from the case.
thanks
Charles
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 06:05:44 PM »

possibly, at a tru-value hardware store there is some rubber sheet scrap piece or small size like 4x4" that is thick enough to be the height of the feet.

possibly, among someone's extensive collection of brass tubing or old ammunition brass casings, there is a size that, when chucked in a drill press and the opening sharpened with a file, will cut out the rubber in just the right size.

Its an easy way to make little pads and feet that are perfectly round.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 07:11:28 AM »

Though certainly not a purist's approach, I use these adhesive backed felt feet.  I've found them to be a nice compromise between staying put, yet not too difficult to move.   As with most these things, they come in a few different diameters which changes the foot pressure, thus the effort required to move a particular piece of equipment.  

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
WB3JOK

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 08:57:27 PM »

There would be some work required to make them, because they are not flat round pieces, but have a "peg" that goes up inside the cylindrical bore where the case screws reside.

Also I have five 630's, and only two remaining feet, so I'd have to cut out 18 of the little things...  Wink

-Charles
ps nice TCS setup... deserves to have the original shock mounts!  Cool
WB3JOK

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 09:19:15 PM »

Looks like McMaster-Carr might have something that'll work... have to measure the hole and see if they have a size that fits. Of course I have to buy 100 of them Wink

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/3826

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 10:27:26 PM »

A google search brought up this post on the same topic:
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=938325

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WB3JOK

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 08:54:57 PM »

Thanks, that's another possible source I haven't thought of. Both companies' websites say they only sell to dealers and piano technicians (like the jagoffs at W.W. Grainger who really pissed me off a few years ago refusing to sell to me, and I even had a business name at the time!)

We don't have a "local piano store" and the town music store wouldn't have the faintest idea how to help (or be interested in doing so) if I walked up to the counter with a p/n in hand and said "I need 20 of these".  Tongue

Anyway I think his info may not be correct, at least as it applies to my 630's. That poster said the 630 feet have "head dia. 7/16" X 11/32" stem dia." although a 5/16" drillbit won't even enter the case hole except the very short chamfered top. A 9/32" bit is slightly loose in the hole. So I think a 5/16" stem would be a better fit. Also the Pianotek catalog shows the RBNT8 as actual size and it looks nothing like the foot that is supposed to be there.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 09:30:49 PM »

There is an old boy advertising in ER to sell the original Triplett inventory by part #.  He may have them...

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
WB3JOK

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 08:49:23 PM »

The original manuals for the 630's don't list the feet separately by part number, though.
Would you happen to have his contact info?
thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015