The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:25:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit  (Read 16469 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 08:59:50 AM »

I just called their listed telephone number. At no time was Heath or HeathKit spoken. Very shady, I think this is a well presented scam.
W3NE
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 01:06:28 PM »

Did I miss something, or is there really no audio level control on that $150 Rx? (Or Volume Control, as we used to say in 1930.)  They have more superlatives than The Donald!

Bob - NE

Frequently on high fidelity tuners and other components there is no volume control as it would be on the preamp. Maybe there is an adjustment inside, it is an interesting question.

Here is another interesting question: Where is this receiver's tuning dial?

Could it possibly be the receiver is so broad a dial is unnecessary, just as it is so insensitive no audio level control is needed? We will have to wait for publication of those phantom TBD specs to find out.

As for schematics, The Real Heathkit Company published schematics (as did Johnson) right on the catalog page describing their product. They could do that knowing the kit price was so low that it would be uneconomical for anyone to buy components for a knock-off. That's not exactly the case with this "Heatkit."

Incidentally, thanks for the photo of T-mom!

Bob - NE
kg7bz
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 01:53:21 PM »

Here is another interesting question: Where is this receiver's tuning dial?

Could it possibly be the receiver is so broad a dial is unnecessary, just as it is so insensitive no audio level control is needed? We will have to wait for publication of those phantom TBD specs to find out.

Bob - NE

Judging from the one photo that shows a single-gang variable capacitor and what looks like a TO-92 or two package device, I'd bet that it's using a TA7642 TRF radio IC. You can buy 100 of these for about $6.50 including shipping on ebay. The typical circuit used would explain the lack of volume control.

I built radios a couple decades ago with it's predecessor, the ZN414. It's a neat chip, but no radio with it is worth $150!

Here's a good post about building radios with it.

A Well Behaved MK484 - or -TA7642 Radio
W3NE
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 03:44:45 PM »

You have some good points there. The reference post is very informative, but when looking for AM DX, having to set critical d-c adjustments to optimize performance would certainly detract from the main objective. An "Automatic Gain Control" voltage requiring manual adjustment within 50 mV. is an oxymoron. No doubt an avid experimenter could derive considerable enjoyment with a receiver as described, but paying $150 for the privilege to do so makes it pretty expensive fun. The performance variables introduced by "AGC" adjustment also explain why "Heathkit" lists BW and sensitivity specs as TBD. Indeed!

Thanks for shedding some real light on what is probably going on here.

Bob - NE
N9axl
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 04:50:31 PM »

Copyright is really complicated. I'm a professional librarian and I still have to call a lawyer, but anyway...this text below is from the copyright office.  Please note that for items copyrighted between 1950 and 1963 -- if the copyright was not renewed -- the protection was lost permanently.  This period covers a majority of the "important" Heath products -- DX-20, DX-40, etc.

This is why I have been dubious about these claims by people that they "own" the copyright to the Heath manuals and insist that places like Bama don't post them.  I have never seen any evidence that the copyright for Heath manuals was renewed in 1978 -- if not the heath manuals would seem to be in the public domain.

Of course our chances of the present "owners" of Heathkit answering this question are pretty slim.

Mandatory Renewal
Works originally copyrighted between January 1, 1950, and
December 31, 1963
. Copyrights in their first 28-year term on
January 1, 1978, still had to be renewed to be protected for
the second term. If a valid renewal registration was made
at the proper time, the second term will last for 67 years.
However, if renewal registration for these works was not
made within the statutory time limits, a copyright originally
secured between 1950 and 1963 expired on December 31 of
its 28th year, and protection was lost permanently.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 06:28:37 PM »

People still have problem understanding the term "copyright".
There's several ways you can use the term.

What most people perceive:
As a verb: "Secure copyright for material" As an originator, so people can't steal your material. Prior to 1978, you had to file a "notice of copyright" with the U.S. Copyright office. After Jan. 1, 1978, filing was no longer required to secure copyright distinction. Your document just required the copyright symbol, ©, and a date or the phrase copyright-date.

The one that people forget (or don't comprehend):
As a noun: the exclusive legal right, given to an originator or an assignee to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic, or musical material, and to authorize others to do the same.

As an example, when you as the originator give permission to replicate part or all of some specific work to another party, you as the originator give them a copy right (i.e. right to copy). In simple terms, you as the originator, have given them a copyright.

Back roughly, 1993-1994, Heathkit started a vintage manual replication business under what was left of their original business. As part of Heathkit, they were the only true authorized supplier of manuals since they didn't give permission to anyone else. In 2008, they decided to sell the business, all inventory, and all rights and privileges. In May 2008, I was offered a chance to buy it but I gracefully declined. The business then was posted on Ebay three times, but they couldn't get the offer they were looking for. In roughly September 2008, the new current owner made them an offer which they accepted. In October 2008, the contract to sell was signed and finalized by both Company presidents and filed in each of their respected states. As the new owner, you also had the right to assign or authorize certain rights and privileges to others. In roughly 2012, Heath filed for bankruptcy and all assets (intellectual property, copyrights, inventory, etc.) were sold. Some time thereafter a new Heathkit Company arose (i.e. we're not dead). In April 2015, the current owner of Heath's manual replication business became part of this new Heathkit.

Most of this information has been rehashed numerous times (too many to count) on forums, boards, and other places over the last 7 years.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2015, 10:13:55 AM »

I just called their listed telephone number. At no time was Heath or HeathKit spoken. Very shady, I think this is a well presented scam.
I continue to have an uneasy feeling about this entire campaign.

Too many vague and unstated points.  A "product" without basic specs, extremely high pricing, odd design details.

Three years into this campaign, only a first name of the president/CEO is offered.  No names of vaunted 'advisors', no location of operations, etc.

This continues to feel like a broad hoax.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
VE3AJM

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2015, 04:31:19 PM »

So why hasn't Data Pro / Peterson / the new Heathkit taken legal action against Tubular Electronics? Almost 3 years since the original threats were made.

Its apparently not such an open and shut case? The real lawyers must kmow more about all the issues than some of the amateur attorneys.

Al VE3AJM
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2015, 05:10:53 PM »

my antivirus program pukes on the website. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2015, 06:29:54 PM »

Here is the link to the Heathkit Sale Agreement I found posted on the Tubular Electronics website:

http://tubularelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Agreement-wo-Price.pdf

Anyhow home-brewing is becoming popular again.  It is often referred to as being a 'maker' now.  I was surprised to see a couple of years ago that there are hobbyists building high power chemical dye lasers.  So high tech and high power hobby stuff is not just being done in the electronics and radio transmitter domain.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015