The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:19:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wes Schum (W9DYV) - SK - Central Electronics  (Read 6566 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: September 24, 2015, 05:49:33 PM »

Received this today from Nick Tusa

Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:57 PM
Subject: Wes Schum W9DYV-SK

I am sorry to report that a true pioneer, entrepreneur and steadfast friend has passed.  Wes Schum (W9DYV) peacefully slipped away in his sleep yesterday, with Marge and his four girls at his side.  

There will be no funeral, which was a joint decision by Wes and Marge.  In a few months there will be a private celebration for Wes, however, there will also be a public celebration of his life that will correspond with our W9DYV Vintage Radio event in July 2016.  There, we will talk about Wes’ wonderful sense of humor, his tireless energy in promoting single-sideband and the phasing principal, how he started Central Electronics through a chance association with the J. L. Warren Company and other like topics.  Plus, his family is very much interested in hearing about your personal interactions with Wes over the many years he was active in our great hobby.

To those who were able to attend the W9DYV Birthday Bash or any of the two W9DYV Boatanchor Field Day events, please know your generosity in traveling so far to simply enjoy an eyeball QSO with an old gentleman was heartfelt.   Wasn’t it fun to see Wes’ eyes light up when he grabbed that D-104 mic during field day, fire up his trusty 200V/600L combo on a very crowded 20M band to then proclaim in his booming radio announcer like voice: “This is W9DYV – Chicago!”   Those field days brought Wes back to a special and cherished past point in his Life, when Chicago, Ham Radio, Single-Sideband and Central Electronics was All Things Radio for W9DYV.  

Wes Schum’s many accomplishments as a radio engineer-pioneer are legendary.  The design wisdom and technical advancements showcased by his Central Electronics 10A, 20A, 100V, 600L and 200V transmitters continue to be studied even today.  A new chapter awaits us with the forming of the W9DYV Vintage SSB Association, whose QTH will reside where else but at the Schum-Vogt Storybrook Farms site in Jonesborough, TN.  

In closing, please keep the Schum family in your thoughts and prayers as they work through this difficult time.

73   Nick  K5EF
www.ce-multiphase.com

Some very recent photos of Wes at his location as you scroll down: http://www.ce-multiphase.com/

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 07:04:37 PM »

What a giant of radio we have lost.  He really revolutionized radio in the early 1950's with his Sideband radios, the Sideband Slicer (filter) and Signal Monitor in particular.

So long Wes!   b.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W1ITT

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:56:59 PM »

I have a couple of his MM-2 monitor scopes.  Compared to the old Heath HO-10's, the Central Electronics units are Cadillacs.   When SSB was the "new thing" in the Amateur community, it was wise to offer a unit that insured that the linear amplifier was indeed operated in a linear condition. In that respect, Wes was one-up on Art Collins.   Come to think of it, I wish there were a few more scopes out there now, for all the same reasons.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 09:11:53 PM »

So sorry to hear that Wes has become an (SK).  He certainly left his mark with producing some excellent products.  I have a CE-10,20 and their scope and all work very well.  Never had the pleasure of using the 100V or 200V or the 600L amplifier, but I am sure they perform very well. 
Joe-W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 07:55:56 AM »

Having not joined hamdom until 1970, I missed that golden era first hand but I sure admire Wes' neat rigs. His 100R with built in scope sure is a beauty.

Thanks for letting us know Pete, with Nick's letter and link.
 Long live memories of Wes, a truly great person. Wish I'd known him.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 09:12:59 AM »

I'm sure that Bob Heil will have much more on tonight's HamNation show
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 09:38:27 AM »

I have a couple of his MM-2 monitor scopes.  Compared to the old Heath HO-10's, the Central Electronics units are Cadillacs.   When SSB was the "new thing" in the Amateur community, it was wise to offer a unit that insured that the linear amplifier was indeed operated in a linear condition. In that respect, Wes was one-up on Art Collins.   Come to think of it, I wish there were a few more scopes out there now, for all the same reasons.

I'd put my MM-2 up against any monitor scope. OK well there are tons of scopes for those who have the time to make use of them. For $5 you can pick up an old inexpensive-brand 3" or 5" scope and there is nothing to prevent you from changing it into an MM-2 clone as a full scope already has more tubes and parts than needed. The cheap ones have real simple CRT power supplies like a doubler and a voltage divider, so are easy to work with.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 08:29:07 AM »

Folks:

Sorry to hear of Wes's passing. He did some very interesting engineering.

Thanks to Nick for his promoting Wes and CE for decades. We have a common friend Gary Stock.

Dan
W1DAN
(ex KA5DNH)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015