The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:23:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patriot's Alleged "Radiogate"  (Read 6504 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: September 12, 2015, 06:06:55 PM »

Anyone have an informed technical opinion/explanation on what the actual cause was of the interference was to the Steeler's field comms radios in the NFL season  opener that had Pittsburgh crying foul about?  From what I have heard in sports media it sounded like co-channel interference, probably due to tropo ducting or maybe even auroral skip, as I believe there was a pretty nasty geomagnetic storm Thursday night.  The media was saying it was due to "atmospheric conditions" and the NFL was pretty quick in stating it was not due to any skulduggery on the part of the Pats.  What frequencies are used for that service, I am assuming somewhere in VHF.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »

i understand something got wet
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 07:30:28 PM »

SO.....

I know the person who manages that very system. There are two main components, a wireless intercom and a wired intercom, both are tied together to create a single communication system for the away team. Each sub-system has their issues.

The wireless intercom uses multiple UHF FM frequencies and about 50mw of power to cover a pretty large area. Interference to any of these frequencies hinders communication for either a single user or all users. As the batteries in the belt packs wear down, coverage reduces too. In a stadium, there are usually at least 20 frequencies, most of them in the UHF range, in use for intercom, wireless mics, IFB (earpiece talk-back) and two-way radios. So at each game a local person acts as a frequency coordinator. Sometimes the frequencies of the various radians needs to be re-programmed, and occasionally this may not be done correctly where an IFB transmitter may end up on the same frequency as a wireless belt pack.

The wired system runs a series of wired belt packs on a "TW" or Two-Wire cabling system. Most cable is shielded twisted pair. In this cabling system there is a shield which is the common line, a wire that has a DC voltage to run the belt packs as well as the first channel of communication. The second conductor carries the second channel of communications. Most often the cable between these belt packs is a good quality three-conductor shielded cable such as mic cable with XLR connectors on the ends. Being unbalanced and usually hundreds of feet long, the system is susceptible to ground loops and RFI, and can be exacerbated when the cable or electronics systems are wet. This, I believe (have not confirmed) is what happened last week. Removing a power to one of these systems ground I am told relieved the RFI.

Hope this helps.

Dan

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 05:26:37 PM »

Thanks Dan!  I actually was thinking if anyone in the area came up with an explination it would likely be you.  From what you are describing perhaps there was some crosstalk or off air rectification of an AM broadcast transmitter of the Patriots Radio Network broadcast feed to the other stuff on site. The broadcast was mentioned in several media stories as to what the Streelers were hearing.  My initial query here on the Forum was after I heard one story that talked about taxi cab cabs.

Is there an AM station near the stadium that carries the Pats game feed?

There was a hellacious amount of rain in New England last Thursday.
 Downtown Bank Street in New London had water up to car windows during the early afternoon.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 08:33:43 AM »

All the logical explanations are fine and dandy but I can't believe that somewhere, sometime a home team/stadium hasn't hacked the away team's communications, especially give the complexity and interlinking of the lash-up.  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 05:48:21 PM »

All the logical explanations are fine and dandy but I can't believe that somewhere, sometime a home team/stadium hasn't hacked the away team's communications, especially give the complexity and interlinking of the lash-up.  Grin

Sometimes I think instances like this no matter the activity could be caused by some random dastardly person just getting their warped kicks. I guess that is pretty far fetched though.

So what is expected to be done to prevent water/moisture from causing these issues?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 07:06:07 AM »

Reports this week from quarterback Ben and offensive coordinator Haley described the interference as only present during the Steelers offensive drives and not there during the Pat's offensive drives. So this could be filed under the "business as usual" section.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 08:14:28 AM »

Well that certainly does come under "taking the waters."
Hot Springs redux.  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 07:28:22 PM »

Are there not timestamped recordings of this from both teams to prove when exactly it happened? One would think, as a matter of record, internal to the teams.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 08:26:24 PM »

Reports this week from quarterback Ben and offensive coordinator Haley described the interference as only present during the Steelers offensive drives and not there during the Pat's offensive drives. So this could be filed under the "business as usual" section.

The conspiracies continue....reminds me of the old Bugs Bunny cartoon...when Rocky announces "I dont know how yez done it but I know yez done it!!!

p
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015