The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:20:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Solid State Radio for AM?  (Read 8513 times)
WB2DSH
« on: February 16, 2005, 09:46:19 AM »

I've been on and off AM for 25+ years and I've used an Eico 730 modulated with a guitar amp, a Valiant, and right now I have an ailing Ranger and no time to work on it.

These days, I'm on the road quite a bit and tried HF mobile with limited results.  Recently, I designed a controler that sits at home hooked to the phone line and an Icom 706.   I call in on my cell phone and it allows me to fully control the 706.  This has been working pretty well, and no engine noise!  But I'd like to run AM in this remote mode, and the 706 is pretty crappy on AM.

So, my question, is there a solid state transciever with a serial control port that works well on AM?  Or could be modified?  It'd be great if it also had respectable audio when I use it at home.  I realise that to be a purist, I should build a class E transmitter, but I don't have the time.

Thanks,

Brian
WB2DSH
xe1yzy

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 12:20:33 PM »

Brian...

forget about complex ricebox circuits, why you just get home a little bit earlier and enjoy your tube rigs!.

Just an opinion!

Best regards!

TVI WHAT TVI?
W1GFH
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 02:42:51 PM »

How about you buy some classic boatanchors, then build a robot to operate and enjoy them while you're at work?

Seriously though. I have heard tell that the FT1000MP, IC756ProIII, and most of the latest DSP riceboxes are capable of AM tube-sound "simulation".  But if you are sending it cellphone audio...what's the point?
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 08:14:58 PM »

Hi Brian,

The Ten-Tec Jupitor does Very well on AM... Just a Thought...
kb1jcy
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 11:53:11 AM »

(apologies for reviving an old thread)

Has anyone tried their Kenwood TS-2000 on AM? Opinions and/or comments?
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 03:50:08 PM »

I have heard the TS 2000 on AM with not too good results.  Guy who has one is dedicated AM and ran his audio chain to it.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 09:22:32 PM »

If you're going to actually buy something, the Flex is probably the best I've heard on AM... and I *think* (but am not completely sure) that the flex (being a software defined radio, and requiring a computer), can be remotely controlled.

Of course, class E would be way to go with homebrewing solid state....

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 08:31:30 AM »

HPSDR will make Flex an old buzzard rig soon
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 09:32:06 AM »

And we'll all have flying cars soon too.
kb1jcy
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 10:45:27 AM »

I have limited space/budget so I have to choose wisely. The Flex does sound intriguing but too clunky to use in field operations. The Ten-Tec Jupiter is #1 on my list of potential rigs. Has anyone tried the Icom IC-7000 on AM yet?

I need a good general purpose HF rig as my first HF rig. If I do buy a second rig, I will consider the Flex.
K3ZS

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 11:06:04 AM »

I am pleased with my IC-718 on AM.  I have real AM rigs, but a lot of times they are not on when I hear someone on AM and want to make a quick contact.   It has the remote CV, whatever its called interface, nice wide receiver for AM and acceptable AM transmit audio if its setup right.   A new one can be purchased much cheaper than most other riceboxes.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 01:06:25 PM »

Ten-Tec just recently announced the OMNI-VII. Full plug-and-play Ethernet remote capability, HF through 6 meters, color screen, Collins mechanical filters and more!

From the Ten-Tec site for the OMNI-VII:
"No PC required at the rig to operate remote! Locate your OMNI-VII anywhere you have wideband Internet access. Simply connect its built-in Ethernet port to your router with our exclusive One Plug connection. Delivers live receive AND transmit operation from anywhere else in the world from another wideband Internet access!  A simple GUI (Graphical User Interface) written for the OMNI-VII will be available for download at no charge from our firmware update website. That's not all: the latest GUI source code (written in Visual Basic) and complete programming instructions can be downloaded to build your own GUI."

For the rest of the info, go here:
http://radio.tentec.com/Amateur/Transceivers/TT588

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 11:42:37 AM »

K8TV, Ken used to run a 440 band radio linking him to a classic tube Tx RX at his home.
He had great success and no jamming problems with the setup.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015