The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:03:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One more BC-348-R toy...  (Read 9498 times)
wavebourn
« on: February 09, 2005, 10:22:51 PM »

One more toy, seller told it had been removed recently from Duglas, so I expect it is all original... What is interesting, it still has a nameplate. Searching the Google, I found a lot of them without nameplates. Why?

W1GFH
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 11:05:47 PM »

Quote from: wavebourn
What is interesting, it still has a nameplate. Searching the Google, I found a lot of them without nameplates. Why?

1950's hams who bought these rigs for $5 often did silly things like remove nameplates, change knobs, paint chassis silver, etc.
wavebourn
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 11:11:36 PM »

Quote from: W1GFH
What is interesting, it still has a nameplate. Searching the Google, I found a lot of them without nameplates. Why?

1950's hams who bought these rigs for $5 often did silly things like remove nameplates, change knobs, paint chassis silver, etc.

Wow! 20 excellent rigs for $100.00!
W1GFH
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 01:25:02 AM »

Tolly, "Ashtabula Bill" W8VYZ is one of the most famous AMers in the USA. And please notice what his main receiver is...

http://hamgate.sunyerie.edu/~buffaloam/images/99_dayton_w8vyz.jpg
wavebourn
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 01:39:04 AM »

Quote from: W1GFH
Tolly, "Ashtabula Bill" W8VYZ is one of the most famous AMers in the USA. And please notice what his main receiver is...

http://hamgate.sunyerie.edu/~buffaloam/images/99_dayton_w8vyz.jpg

Mine too! Would you be so kind to introduce me to this exceptional gentleman?
I'd like to discuss his 2'nd IF and demodulator on top of the receiver... Wink
W1GFH
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 01:50:00 AM »

Would you be so kind to introduce me to this exceptional gentleman?
I'd like to discuss his 2'nd IF and demodulator on top of the receiver... Wink

Yes, Bill was a co-pilot in a McDonnell Douglas bomber and had this radio in front of him on every trip.

He is on 14.286 mhz AM every day around 5PM PST depending on propagation. He is happy to discuss secrets of 2nd IF and demod for BC348 with you, but first you must visit....

http://www.eham.net/exams/
 :grin:
wavebourn
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 02:19:31 AM »

Why you still did not invite him to the greatest BB of the century if you know him personally?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 07:11:00 AM »

OK, Tolly, looks like you're in for a restoration job on that BC-348R.

As you know the lettering is raised on the BC-348 which makes repainting the radio fairly easy.  Strip and clean the front pane using a chemical paint stripper, then go to your local Harley-Davidson dealer and buyu a can of black wrinkle spray paint.  You probably want to experiment a little one something else before you paint the radio because wrinkle paint is kinda tricky.  You'll want to bake the thing in an oven at low temp, or you can build a heat box with a 100watt bulb and a cardboard box (watch the fire hazard here!)

When you get it painted to your liking, you can sand the paint off the lettering using a small block of wood and #400 sandpaper.  Makes it look like new.  I've done this on a couple of BC-348s.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
xe1yzy

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 11:10:41 AM »

Nice rig Tolly!

I'd really like the mechanical VFO of that radio, those BC348, was widely used among the Mexicans hams back in the 50's, looks nice beside any transmitter...

Looks this pictures;

http://people.csail.mit.edu/people/sw/html/NS1W/hb-tx.html

Saludos!

TVI WHAT TVI?
W1GFH
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 02:21:22 PM »

Why you still did not invite him to the greatest BB of the century if you know him personally?

I know him only from talking to him on 20 meters, but I know Bill does not "do" computers, so even if invited, he would not join here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015