The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:18:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM MAX TX  (Read 17258 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: February 08, 2005, 07:27:14 PM »

Hey guys! (Gals?)
Whatever happened  to those little AM Max Transmitters from over the Pond? Were they everything one would hope for? Reliable? Hi-Fi FB audio? Was the manufacturer relaible for delivery?
I remember there were some key up / PTT issues being worked out.
I'm kinda tossing a coin to see where to spend a precious little $$ for tax time.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W8ER
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 08:21:23 PM »

Hi Fred,

Take a look at my website W8ER homepage. If you click on the picture on the right, you will go to a page that shows the new AM Max II. The AM Max one, while sounding absolutely great, had a problem with the finals. Rather than worry about fixing it, took some of the idea that he and I bashed around and came up with a totally new design with DSP audio and a whole new plan for delivering RF to 50 ohms. The new one has survived some pretty good old buzzards at the 10 watt output level and is a fun rig! The DSP audio lets you use the menu to set your highest audio frequency (3.3 khz, 6 khz, or open) much like using an Orban or other fancy audio processor. You can also set parameters such as AGC attack and decay times and high and low audio boost and cut. The normal LCD has your call displayed, which is cute. Marko shipped me the new one in a 1U rack mount cabinet and balanced audio feed in. It is a sweet rig!

I used it to drive my AL80B and could adjust the output to give me anything between 100 and 150 watts out of the AL80B. With any of the more efficient amps, using ceramic tubes, I am sure that you could get a lot closer to legal limit with 10 watts of drive.

Take a look at the little silver panel in my rack and that's it!  Paul Wa3VJB has a recording of it. I was talking to Dave W4QCU one morning and Paul got it on tape. I sure like how it sounded!

They are now available from PCS Electronics in a hundred watt output version and it's a 2U rack mount machine. The AM Max II will run you, fully up, about $450 and the 100 watt version is real pricey at about $1900. Way too much for my blood, but I sure would like to play with one anyway  :grin:

Neat rig!

--Larry W8ER
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 11:24:27 AM »

Hi Larry;

I'm very interested in getting one of the new AM MAX II units. Will this do 160 80 and 40 without modifications?

Thanks!

Quote from: W8ER
Hi Fred,

Take a look at my website W8ER homepage. If you click on the picture on the right, you will go to a page that shows the new AM Max II. The AM Max one, while sounding absolutely great, had a problem with the finals. Rather than worry about fixing it, took some of the idea that he and I bashed around and came up with a totally new design with DSP audio and a whole new plan for delivering RF to 50 ohms. The new one has survived some pretty good old buzzards at the 10 watt output level and is a fun rig! The DSP audio lets you use the menu to set your highest audio frequency (3.3 khz, 6 khz, or open) much like using an Orban or other fancy audio processor. You can also set parameters such as AGC attack and decay times and high and low audio boost and cut. The normal LCD has your call displayed, which is cute. Marko shipped me the new one in a 1U rack mount cabinet and balanced audio feed in. It is a sweet rig!

I used it to drive my AL80B and could adjust the output to give me anything between 100 and 150 watts out of the AL80B. With any of the more efficient amps, using ceramic tubes, I am sure that you could get a lot closer to legal limit with 10 watts of drive.

Take a look at the little silver panel in my rack and that's it!  Paul Wa3VJB has a recording of it. I was talking to Dave W4QCU one morning and Paul got it on tape. I sure like how it sounded!

They are now available from PCS Electronics in a hundred watt output version and it's a 2U rack mount machine. The AM Max II will run you, fully up, about $450 and the 100 watt version is real pricey at about $1900. Way too much for my blood, but I sure would like to play with one anyway  :grin:

Neat rig!

--Larry W8ER
W8ER
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 11:44:44 AM »

Hi Glen,

They will do any two bands that you select. Mine in set up for 80 and 40. I am looking at acquiring a 160 unit to round out the selection.

I talked to Marko about the three band idea and I can't seem to really pin him down on it. The processor that is built into the unit handles the DSP audio chip and also has some RF control responsibility. What I am getting is that memory is short on that processor and that any two bands is about it.  

Having a three bander 160/80/40 would really be nice!

--Larry
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 02:38:46 PM »

Hi Larry;

I thought it might have been just an issue of room on the PC board for additional output filter components, Marko mentions something about running out of room, I'll post the question on his site in the fourm. I'd love to hear yours on the air sometime.

Hi Glen,

They will do any two bands that you select. Mine in set up for 80 and 40. I am looking at acquiring a 160 unit to round out the selection.

I talked to Marko about the three band idea and I can't seem to really pin him down on it. The processor that is built into the unit handles the DSP audio chip and also has some RF control responsibility. What I am getting is that memory is short on that processor and that any two bands is about it.  

Having a three bander 160/80/40 would really be nice!

--Larry
W8ER
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 02:49:36 PM »

Glen .. the room he is running out of is memory room! I thought the same thing as you and asked him about it.  My impression from his reply is that there are functions on the board that use a lot of memory. My last question to him was on the order of "If I give up the brickwall digital audio filters, can I get another band" I haven't received a response from him yet on that. Give it a shot!

--Larry
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 02:59:06 PM »

Yea, I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease!... I would be happy to plunk down the $360+ dollars if the thing did more than two bands, buying two kits, that's getting expensive... We'll see what develops.

Glen .. the room he is running out of is memory room! I thought the same thing as you and asked him about it.  My impression from his reply is that there are functions on the board that use a lot of memory. My last question to him was on the order of "If I give up the brickwall digital audio filters, can I get another band" I haven't received a response from him yet on that. Give it a shot!

--Larry
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 03:02:27 PM »

I would think most folks would rather have a multiband rig, no DSP vs DSP and only two bands. Did the Max 1 allow more than two bands?

Quote from: Glenn K2KL
Yea, I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease!... I would be happy to plunk down the $360+ dollars if the thing did more than two bands, buying two kits, that's getting expensive... We'll see what develops.

--Larry
W8ER
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 03:10:01 PM »

Glenn .. yes it did .. hey let's jump over to the chat board. Just click on the "chat " button and I'll be in the 3885 forum.

--Larry
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 01:41:31 PM »

Hi Larry;

One important question I forgot to ask you..... Does the AM Max II have provisions for PTT ? do you just remove power when receiving?, I'm thinking a ham version of the exciter must have some sort of standby function for ham use.

I'm sending Marco an E-mail about the three band version we talked about. I'll copy you if I can find your E-mail address.

Thanks!

Glenn .. yes it did .. hey let's jump over to the chat board. Just click on the "chat " button and I'll be in the 3885 forum.

--Larry
W8ER
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 01:50:52 PM »

Glen,

Looking at the front of the Max you will see a small bat handle toggle switch. It is the receive/transmit switch. I went inside and found that grounding the center of the switch caused the unit to go into transmit also. I ran that to a jack on the rear panel.

I have a Rec/Tran box .. homebrew DowKey ... that supplies a NO contact to a device when connected. I ran that to the Max so that the normal station PTT switch activates a contact to the Max to put it into transmit. Simple stuff but Max accomodates it.

You could also go on one side of that switch (internal to the Max) and use the voltage to key a transistor switch and do the whole thing in reverse, that is run the output to a jack on the rear panel and then use the Max Rec/Trans switch to transition the station.

6 of one ...

Does that help?

--Larry
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 02:23:30 PM »

Yes, thanks Larry!.... I'm getting itchy to buy!!!

Glen,

Looking at the front of the Max you will see a small bat handle toggle switch. It is the receive/transmit switch. I went inside and found that grounding the center of the switch caused the unit to go into transmit also. I ran that to a jack on the rear panel.

I have a Rec/Tran box .. homebrew DowKey ... that supplies a NO contact to a device when connected. I ran that to the Max so that the normal station PTT switch activates a contact to the Max to put it into transmit. Simple stuff but Max accomodates it.

You could also go on one side of that switch (internal to the Max) and use the voltage to key a transistor switch and do the whole thing in reverse, that is run the output to a jack on the rear panel and then use the Max Rec/Trans switch to transition the station.

6 of one ...

Does that help?

--Larry
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 07:01:51 PM »

Hey This Max II has Alot of potential here I have been watching things as well trying to keep up. With the Advantages of the Audio input that's available and The Right DC supply this Unit , Hey this thing is right up our alley.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 10:42:05 AM »

I just received an E-mail from Macro at PCS and he basically said "no" to my request for a 160m 80m 40m ham version of the AM MAX II.

Besides there being no physical room on the board for the additional components, he is also out of room for the additional memory required to implement the extra band(s). He also indicated there isn't enough demand from hams for this.

I've decided to take the do-it-myself approach. I'm going to design and build a self contained, 6 band, solid state AM exciter using one of the off the shelf DDS vfo kits that are available. I'll post to the forum as things progress. (different thread)

Quote from: Jack-KA3ZLR-
Hey This Max II has Alot of potential here I have been watching things as well trying to keep up. With the Advantages of the Audio input that's available and The Right DC supply this Unit , Hey this thing is right up our alley.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 11:10:58 AM »

Glen
AD has new DDS eval boards coming out later this month for $350
running a 700 MHz clock. There are 3 versions that include other functions.
The advantage is the higher clock makes a cleaner signal at HF.
BTW CCI amplifiers lose efficiency below 3 MHz due to transformer core
material. Good Luck!
W8ER
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 12:22:05 PM »

Frank,

I think you may be confusing the Flex-Radio with the AM Max. The AM Max is a product of PCS Elektronics from England.

--Larry
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 04:37:28 PM »

Hi Frank;

I lost the link, but yesterday I was looking at a DDS semi-kit somebody had that used an AD DDS with a high clock freq as you mentioned. It was pretty cheap, PC board, pre-programmed PIC's (rotary encoder freq control) Doesn't come with the DDS chip but they claim Analog Devices will send you a free sample if you fill-out the form on their web site....(?)

My original plan used an analog hetrodyne oscillator arrangement which is extremely stable and cheap. If the DDS is too expensive, I may go this route...

Quote from: WA1GFZ
Glen
material. Good Luck!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 08:15:14 AM »

A PTO from a T195 is a good source 1.5 to 3 MHz output and can be solid stated. Multiplier stages could be added.
Good luck on getting a free DDS from AD that form is very long.
I bet they will want to know how many you plan to buy.
Another option is to pick up a HP8640B signal generator. I bought a nice one that was easy to fix for $100.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2005, 02:09:28 PM »

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.njqrp.org/mbrproj/9850dds.html

Hi Frank;

I lost the link, but yesterday I was looking at a DDS semi-kit somebody had that used an AD DDS with a high clock freq as you mentioned. It was pretty cheap, PC board, pre-programmed PIC's (rotary encoder freq control) Doesn't come with the DDS chip but they claim Analog Devices will send you a free sample if you fill-out the form on their web site....(?)

My original plan used an analog hetrodyne oscillator arrangement which is extremely stable and cheap. If the DDS is too expensive, I may go this route...

Glen
material. Good Luck!
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 04:30:01 PM »

Yes! Thank you Steve, that's the one...

by the way, I may give one of the PW rigs on your site a try. The EL rig looks like fun!... I basically want to build a good sounding AM exiter for use with my big mawl caw mawn!

Quote from: Steve - WB3HUZ

Hi Frank;

Glen
material. Good Luck!
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2005, 04:34:55 PM »

That was my plan Frank. I have a couple of PTO's from Heath transcievers that are very stable as well. instead of multipliers, I'd bandswitch a few xtals on a fixed xtal osc, throw in a mixer and I'm all set.

A PTO from a T195 is a good source 1.5 to 3 MHz output and can be solid stated. Multiplier stages could be added.
Good luck on getting a free DDS from AD that form is very long.
I bet they will want to know how many you plan to buy.
Another option is to pick up a HP8640B signal generator. I bought a nice one that was easy to fix for $100.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 04:49:28 PM »

Cool. Hope to hear you on the air with it soon. Big mauls need little exciters.

Yes! Thank you Steve, that's the one...

by the way, I may give one of the PW rigs on your site a try. The EL rig looks like fun!... I basically want to build a good sounding AM exiter for use with my big mawl caw mawn!

Quote from: Steve - WB3HUZ

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015